PDA

View Full Version : 13w7 Idea

Dak446
12-11-2008, 05:54 PM
i haven't ever been able to find a high output box for a 13w7. i know they are hard to build, but it would probably be worth it, since all i have heard is good about those boxes. has it ever been done, and if it has, what are the specs? thanks

DBBOOM
12-11-2008, 05:58 PM
i haven't ever been able to find a high output box for a 13w7. i know they are hard to build, but it would probably be worth it, since all i have heard is good about those boxes. has it ever been done, and if it has, what are the specs? thanks

Whats a high output box?

anj46907
12-11-2008, 05:59 PM
you need to make a custom 13w7 box , try this
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_enclosures_pages.php?page_id=12

anj46907
12-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Whats a high output box?
i just figured he meant a properly tuned box for 13w7

DBBOOM
12-11-2008, 06:04 PM
i just figured he meant a properly tuned box for 13w7

Me too , just wanted a little more info.

AudioJunkie73
12-11-2008, 06:05 PM
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/594.pdf

in the manual, it gives box deminsions just look for the 13w7

Dak446
12-11-2008, 06:06 PM
a high output box is from jl, they have this crazy design for their 10 and 12 w7's, but not for the 13. i wanted to know if anybody had come up with the design or modded one or something

IDSkoT
12-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Whats a high output box?

JL believes if you put the end of the port infront of the woofer, the VBA (or violent bass air) from the woofer SHOOTS the air toward whatever it's facing and it adds teh DBz.

In reality it's just a fancy port.

IDSkoT
12-11-2008, 06:09 PM
a high output box is from jl, they have this crazy design for their 10 and 12 w7's, but not for the 13. i wanted to know if anybody had come up with the design or modded one or something

They don't have one for the 13, because the specs for the 13" probably doesn't allow for that port design to work. I mean, just looking at it I'd say the port is 14" x 1.5", that extends to a coupling chamber...
I'm not saying that it won't sound good... but I doubt it's worth the money.

DBBOOM
12-11-2008, 06:11 PM
JL believes if you put the end of the port infront of the woofer, the VBA (or violent bass air) from the woofer SHOOTS the air toward whatever it's facing and it adds teh DBz.

In reality it's just a fancy port.

Thanks, not a JL guy, never done any research. Just a bandbass variation then?

edzy
12-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Ive looked for them before for the 13w6's and they dont exist. The best you could do is try to duplicate it by doing the math.. The 12w7 does slam in a ho box, but a prperly designed slot port works as well too, Just doesnt have that bling effect the HO box does.
trial and error is the only way to get one imo, Ive not seen one made anywhere else.

Dak446
12-11-2008, 07:21 PM
i don't really care about the "bling". alot of people say that the ho boxes are much louder than the "to spec" boxes. i have one, and it isn't all that big. i know that there has to be a louder box for that sub.

IDSkoT
12-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks, not a JL guy, never done any research. Just a bandbass variation then?

Essentially...
The logic looks cool on paper, but it isn't any more efficient than a BP or regular slotted box.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/graphics/ENC/W6v2HOWedge_Tech.jpg?0.418361100534004

It would be good in a perfect world... but even with the angled sides, port velocity is still dampened thus the "port air" won't really increase output as they advertise.

Ive looked for them before for the 13w6's and they dont exist. The best you could do is try to duplicate it by doing the math.. The 12w7 does slam in a ho box, but a prperly designed slot port works as well too, Just doesnt have that bling effect the HO box does.
trial and error is the only way to get one imo, Ive not seen one made anywhere else.

This.
But, as I said in previous post, HO boxes for the 13 doesn't exist due partially because of the size restraints as per specs, I'm assuming.

i don't really care about the "bling". alot of people say that the ho boxes are much louder than the "to spec" boxes. i have one, and it isn't all that big. i know that there has to be a louder box for that sub.

The 13W7 isn't known for being amazingly loud. It's more like a mixture of SPL and SQ with a heavy price tag.
If your box is well designed, well constructed, in placed properly, that's the best you're gunna get. A HO box won't do anything but put a bigger hole in your wallet.

Just my $.02 cents.

RE_XXX
12-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Dude!!! I Live In Rock Springs!!!!

xseveredveganx
12-11-2008, 08:15 PM
I can build you a box better than the HO wedge. AND you can pick it up when you do your holiday shopping.

Cause we all know RS ***** teh bawlz for shopping.

:D

Welcome to the forum.

xseveredveganx
12-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Oh, and all this is, in theory, is a 6th order bandpass. :D

But there are differences.