PDA

View Full Version : My play by play fiberglassing

NitroDuck
07-28-2003, 03:44 PM
Hey all. this is my first real fiberglassing installation in my own car. I dont have the subs yet but it will be for 2 audiobahn aw100q. Im just going to do the glassing project in stages(each stage being a day) because if i do it all at once i wont have anything to do. So on day one i taped off what i want to be the base of the enclosure.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/92SVX_Pimp/10651.JPG

tomorrow i will start laying the fiberglass down.

Car = 91 Dodge stealth RT

mgaidica
07-28-2003, 04:37 PM
looks good so far.. thats a lota tape.. u got any drawings of ur overall design?

NitroDuck
07-28-2003, 04:53 PM
looks good so far.. thats a lota tape.. u got any drawings of ur overall design?

Yeah...i guess it does look like alot. I used the whole roll. I just wanted to make sure no resin got through. I have no design plans now, im just playing it by ear(no pun intended).

Would this be to big a box to go sealed anybody?

Redford
07-28-2003, 05:10 PM
you're going to want to take the hatch/trunk cover thing off so that you have more space for your box

Q45guy
07-28-2003, 05:13 PM
Looks good, but how are you planning on getting the fiberglass out once it has hardened? I noticed you had the tape running into areas that are gonna make it nearly impossible to pull out of the hatch. Perhaps you should sit down and sketch up a design plan. Just winging it can get ya into some hot water....errrr resin...errrr....whatever. :P

NitroDuck
07-28-2003, 05:27 PM
Oh yeah...the tape doesnt even go all the way back. the tape goes up higher then i want to glass just incase of any accidents. Dont worry...ive been thinking long and hard about this, sorta.
And if it does get in a position where it is tough to pull out, Ill have my trusty dremel.

BDIDDY
07-29-2003, 12:45 AM
Why not make a false floor, then make rings to flush mount your audiobahn's. And have the 2 subs facing each other kind of, then something with the amps. I think the latest craze is actually doing something with the amps where it looks like you had to put resin on the amps, like on the sides. Other than that looks good, and I thought I was gonna have to use alot of tape.

rjuge
07-29-2003, 12:54 AM
i've had so many 3/s cars it's ridiculous.... I have a killer idea for ya!....

Mold the box into the two sides (under the carpet---where those two storage bins are around the spare tire.... you'll still have plenty of room back there when you're done, and they are two boxes... = easy to come out...

be prepared to rattle like a *****... those cars are bad for it... you've got an r/t so that wing is gonna make some noise!..

ps- great taste in a car!

NitroDuck
07-29-2003, 01:49 AM
be prepared to rattle like a *****... those cars are bad for it... you've got an r/t so that wing is gonna make some noise!..

ps- great taste in a car!

Yeah, i heard about the wing noise. Will dynomat/second skin help. I wanted to make a false floor but my dad said i should keep my spare "just in case". oh well, im liking the one big box idea and i think it would work well.

Should i angle the subs the same angle with the window (window------>//<-----sub) or lay the sub flat (window------/_<----sub) I dont know if you will be able to figure out my little diagrams or not.

One more question, the subs. I am looking at the audiobahn aw100q. They are cheap subs and i figure they are the best for the price(80 shipped a pair). I know most(all) of you are going to say get a K and ive been here long enough and read all the great reviews but what about THIS sub.

Thanks for the comment on the car. Wish it was a 5spd TT though :eek:

BDIDDY
07-29-2003, 01:51 AM
I wanted to make a false floor but my dad said i should keep my spare "just in case".

Join the club.

As for the subs I have never heard them, but the word on the streets is they have bad SQ. K's are calling you. OR the new Kx's I think thats what they are called. They will beat the old k's. 85 each I think.

NitroDuck
07-29-2003, 01:55 AM
Join the club.

As for the subs I have never heard them, but the word on the streets is they have bad SQ. K's are calling you. OR the new Kx's I think thats what they are called. They will beat the old k's. 85 each I think.

NOOOO not the K. jk. im not really looking for sq. I jsut want something to go booooom. maybe i could be one of the few who gets it to sound good. :rolleyes:

BDIDDY
07-29-2003, 01:57 AM
NOOOO not the K. jk. im not really looking for sq. I jsut want something to go booooom. maybe i could be one of the few who gets it to sound good. :rolleyes:

Then these would work, also dont look to get ear shattering SPL. BUT it should be nice.

bumpin_blazer
07-29-2003, 02:57 AM

getting audiobahn to sound good takes a master of Eq'ing but it can be done. looks good thus far for a plan like suggested i'd go for the new Kx's they are a bad *** driver. or just keep the aubiobahns just tellin ya know they are hard as all hell to make sound good. but, Sq is subjective;).

adam

rjuge
07-29-2003, 03:03 AM
best thing i did to kill the rattle was use some 1/4" FOAM weatherstripping and put it where the hatch plastic touched the metal, and then lined it over the seal (on the hatch part). You can also lower the clasp (the two little plastic covers pop out and reveal two bolts- loosen them, knock it down a bit, then tighten them back up-BUT be careful when tightening, they break easily)

I wish I still had pics, but I had three 12" HX2s facing up into the glass (when you closed the hatch, all three were visible from outside).

I don't normally do fiberglass (too messy.. i like mdf), but for a few ideas on 3/s cars check out my webpage (i got a lot of pics of the final installs..

http://studentweb.tulane.edu/~rjuge Just click on the "cars" link...

You can prevent the spoiler rattle by removing it and putting a rubber washer where the bolts meet (really thin one, though). Your main noise is going to come from that rear plastic (all around the hatch....

and the 5/6 speed tt's are fun... i rememeber my stealth ES days... I spun around in three complete circles on a rainy day on the interstate. That was my last FWD car.... :)

NitroDuck
07-29-2003, 03:28 PM
rjuge thanks for the tips. blazer, are the Kx's out yet? Im still sold on the 80 shipped for a pair of subs.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/92SVX_Pimp/10699.JPG

I finished 2 layers of fiberglass for the base at 12. I ran out of mat and the resin started to harden and became hard to spread. Its 230 now and it feels like it is fully dry except for the partnext to the back seats. I need to run to autozone and get some more mat and put down a few(alot) more layers but that wont be for tomorrow. Will i need to sand before i start laying more when it is fully dry?

bumpin_blazer
07-29-2003, 04:07 PM
rjuge thanks for the tips. blazer, are the Kx's out yet? Im still sold on the 80 shipped for a pair of subs.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/92SVX_Pimp/10699.JPG

I finished 2 layers of fiberglass for the base at 12. I ran out of mat and the resin started to harden and became hard to spread. Its 230 now and it feels like it is fully dry except for the partnext to the back seats. I need to run to autozone and get some more mat and put down a few(alot) more layers but that wont be for tomorrow. Will i need to sand before i start laying more when it is fully dry?

that looks nice man. nah you shouldn't have to sand it down to add more layers unless you have bad air bubbles then yeah you would need to. man your car is gonna stink for a while hehe oh well looks good. but not the Kx's aren't out yet they are being released in sept. i believe. go with the Ab's for now maybe upgrade to the Kx's??

adam

NitroDuck
07-29-2003, 04:50 PM
What are the Ab's? Unless ou mean the A's, no thanks. to expensive. I might be falling for the Ks now. all this pressure.

I just took it out and it came out easy. I dont think there will be any clearance issues when i am complete and it will go in and out simply. I can now work out of the car right like this?

More pics tomorrow when i make rings for my mystery subs TBD tonight....

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/92SVX_Pimp/10700.JPG

Also, are there any newbies at this finding this thread helpful? Just wondering

ramos
07-29-2003, 04:55 PM
Yeah you can work out of the car now. Just don't add anything on the underside. :)

Gauntlet
07-29-2003, 05:00 PM
If the resin forms a waxy build-up after its hardened, you should sand it lightly with high-grit sandpaper before putting another layer on

bumpin_blazer
07-29-2003, 05:02 PM
What are the Ab's? Unless ou mean the A's, no thanks. to expensive. I might be falling for the Ks now. all this pressure.

I just took it out and it came out easy. I dont think there will be any clearance issues when i am complete and it will go in and out simply. I can now work out of the car right like this?

More pics tomorrow when i make rings for my mystery subs TBD tonight....

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/92SVX_Pimp/10700.JPG

Also, are there any newbies at this finding this thread helpful? Just wondering

Ab=audiobahn in short:D. i'm really lazy man so i love the abreviation stuff:D.

adam

ramos
07-29-2003, 05:02 PM
Ahhh..... another lesson learned. Don't use "casting resin" It forms a wax like coating on the outside after curing. It's to aid in the removal from molds. :)

NitroDuck
07-29-2003, 05:15 PM
Ab=audiobahn in short:D. i'm really lazy man so i love the abreviation stuff:D.

adam

oh ok. I never seen Ab before. tnwwalahat. Thats "Theres nothing wrong with a little abbreviation here and there" :p

Oh and ramos...i got "all purpose fiberglass resin" by bondo. I dont now if that is a casting resin or not. :banghead:

Gauntlet
07-29-2003, 05:21 PM
oh ok. I never seen Ab before. tnwwalahat. Thats "Theres nothing wrong with a little abbreviation here and there" :p

Oh and ramos...i got "all purpose fiberglass resin" by bondo. I dont now if that is a casting resin or not. :banghead:

I used the same thing...it goes on and looks pretty light, but when it hardens, it looks almost honey-colored. Just give it a light sanding and you'll be fine

NitroDuck
08-02-2003, 12:46 PM
Im back. I havent posted any pics up lately because ive just been adding layers and they all look the same. Well yesterday in (teh rain) i made some mounting rings. Im not flushing mounting them. the reason im not is because i cut the ring using a jigsaw and the rings arent perfectly round(i didnt have a compass so i used good ol string and a screw to make the circles) and i dont feel like making 2 more. Im of to the hardware store right now to get some more glue sticks so i can mount the rings. heres the pic oof the trimmed up base. You can see how much i cut off if you look at the previous post.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/92SVX_Pimp/10822.JPG

NitroDuck
08-02-2003, 02:10 PM
Ok guys question. Heres a pic of how i want them to be positioned. They are not glued down yet but i have a space inbetween them because i want to port them. Could i leave the enclosure sealed at first them if i wanted to port cut out hole. this would just make it easier for me seeing as how i dont want to build or do any more math and such.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/92SVX_Pimp/10823.JPG

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/92SVX_Pimp/10824.JPG

NitroDuck
08-02-2003, 02:12 PM
And comments would be greatly appreciated. :D

ss3079
08-02-2003, 02:26 PM
I am in the same boat as you are ...

Read my idea, and ramos' response ... it should help you out.
http://caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37207

- Steve

MXJMR
08-02-2003, 03:31 PM
That looks prettty good man. I cant wait to see it when you fleece and then resin it(oh yeah and when its finished). Looks like you did everything right so far, so mad props. :cool:

NitroDuck
08-02-2003, 04:34 PM
That looks prettty good man. I cant wait to see it when you fleece and then resin it(oh yeah and when its finished). Looks like you did everything right so far, so mad props. :cool:

Thanks man. Here it is fleeced. tomorrow the resin and glassing will continue. I will try to get all layers done tomorrow. On the base alone i used over 30 sq ft.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/92SVX_Pimp/10825.JPG

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/92SVX_Pimp/10826.JPG

and thats a miniature pincher not a puppy :cool:

NitroDuck
08-02-2003, 05:07 PM
Woot almost done...2 more days and it will probably be done and hopefully i will have my subs and amp on the way.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/92SVX_Pimp/10827.JPG

looking good if i could say so myself.

MXJMR
08-02-2003, 06:08 PM
Looks real good so far, should turn out lookin tight as hell :D

MXJMR
08-02-2003, 06:09 PM
Hurry up and resin that motha sucka

Gauntlet
08-02-2003, 08:22 PM
Looks great so far....you're gonna need a shitload of resin. ;)

What are you planning on covering it in?

NitroDuck
08-03-2003, 01:02 AM
Looks great so far....you're gonna need a shitload of resin. ;)

What are you planning on covering it in?

I plan doing a cheap but decent paint job, and if it really looks like crap im going to carpet it.

MXJMR
08-03-2003, 01:42 AM
Thats how i always look at it, if it looks like crap COVER IT UP!

bumpin_blazer
08-03-2003, 06:14 AM
man that looks very **** indeed. wish i had the skill's to make me a box like that hell i might when i get my 2nd e12a.

adam

NitroDuck
08-04-2003, 04:46 PM
man that looks very **** indeed. wish i had the skill's to make me a box like that hell i might when i get my 2nd e12a.

adam

Just go out and do it. I surprisingly ran into no problems.

Anyways, i jsut finished up the rest of my mat ending up with 6-7 layers. I think im going to leave it at that. i want it to hurry up and dry so i can sand it and make it smooth so i can paint it tomorrow but this weather is not cooperating in the least. off and on rain showers all day and the humidity is killer.

Should i put some caulk on the inside where the top half meets the bottom half jsut incase the seal isnt strong enough?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/92SVX_Pimp/10878.JPG

er1kkull
08-04-2003, 05:00 PM
looking good to me..... how much mat did you use?

bumpin_blazer
08-05-2003, 04:52 AM
Just go out and do it. I surprisingly ran into no problems.

Anyways, i jsut finished up the rest of my mat ending up with 6-7 layers. I think im going to leave it at that. i want it to hurry up and dry so i can sand it and make it smooth so i can paint it tomorrow but this weather is not cooperating in the least. off and on rain showers all day and the humidity is killer.

Should i put some caulk on the inside where the top half meets the bottom half jsut incase the seal isnt strong enough?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/92SVX_Pimp/10878.JPG

yo that's looking fugly but it's not done so that's to be expected lol. yeah i'm thinkin i'll do about a 3.3cuft enclosure of fiberglass for my dual e12a setup for daily. gotta make the box removable so that i can swap out to my SPL box for em. i know not geared for SPL but i can wang with em.

adam

ramos
08-05-2003, 08:02 AM
Instead of silicon to seal it. Just dump your left over resin inside. Then roll it around along the edges. Works really well . :)

NitroDuck
08-05-2003, 01:58 PM
Instead of silicon to seal it. Just dump your left over resin inside. Then roll it around along the edges. Works really well . :)

I was actually thinking about doiing that before i even posted the question. Great minds think alike :crazy:

One side of the box is taking hella long to dry. i have a heater on it now to help speed up the process. it has been already 24 hours. i went out and bought the bondo filler stuff today. will automotive spray paint be good for a project like this, like a few coats and then a clear coat? i just want something cheap and easy and if it doesnt look goo i would carpet it anyways.

ramos
08-05-2003, 04:30 PM
yeah it will work great. Just sand out the imperfections. Every little thing shows right through paint. :)

NitroDuck
08-05-2003, 05:01 PM
yeah it will work great. Just sand out the imperfections. Every little thing shows right through paint. :)

WHAT IMPERFECTIONS!!!

jk :p

going to go sand my first coat of filler now

Blazin Civic
08-06-2003, 05:39 AM
Ok i'm sold...time to start glassing.

ramos
08-06-2003, 07:27 AM
WHAT IMPERFECTIONS!!!

jk :p

going to go sand my first coat of filler now

Everybody gets imperfections brother man. I myself am trying to covnvince my daughter of the joys of sanding ;) A little tom sawyer action :D :)

smullen
08-06-2003, 03:25 PM
Cool thread, I look forward to the updates... I want start playing with glass here soon...

jbl_marshall21
08-06-2003, 03:56 PM
well this thread was really informational. looks easier than what i thought it was. still pretty difficult.

NitroDuck
08-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Well im am completly done...i think

I just finished sanding my 2nd coat of bondo filler. and it is as smooth as its going to get. Im going to scratch the paining idea, it is just to tough to get this thing smooth. ill be satisified with the carpeting anyways. does homedepot sell the carpet that would suit this application?

I also pour a whole bunch or resin inside the box and tilted it about till i covered all the seams where the top half meets the bottom half as suggested by Ramos.

for inquiring minds, the box is 4 feet on the widest length, 2 feet 9in on shortest lenght, 10in tall and 2 feet deep.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/92SVX_Pimp/10962.JPG

Q45guy
08-06-2003, 08:00 PM
Looks real good man! Not too shabby for a first-time fiberglasser. :D

ss3079
08-06-2003, 08:25 PM
How much resin did it take to soak the fleece?
How much matt did you end up using?
How much resin (overall) did you use?

- Steve

NitroDuck
08-07-2003, 01:20 AM
How much resin did it take to soak the fleece?
How much matt did you end up using?
How much resin (overall) did you use?

- Steve

It took about 50 oz...sorry thats the only way i could tell you.
I used 30+ sq ft of mat.
1 1/2 gallons of resin.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/92SVX_Pimp/10964.JPG

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/92SVX_Pimp/10963.JPG

The box isnt really that heavy considering how big it is. Im sure MDF of the same size would be alot heavier.

more filling and sanding tomorrow. the more smooth it gets the easier it is to keep smooth. i may keep the painting in mind and instead of going dark red to match interior i may do black. in my mind it seems that if its black you wont be able to see most of the "imperfections" that might have occured.

NitroDuck
08-07-2003, 01:23 AM
My next project is going to be the amp rack. It going to be under a plexi window in the middle and whatever trunk is left will be vinyled. i dont know if you get the picture but it should look P-I-M-P

bumpin_blazer
08-07-2003, 02:19 AM
My next project is going to be the amp rack. It going to be under a plexi window in the middle and whatever trunk is left will be vinyled. i dont know if you get the picture but it should look P-I-M-P

i can say that you are a punk! simply put your a punk with too much time on his hands that can make a pretty **** good looking box for his first time doing it. i myself will be makin me a dual e12a box in the future when money is there to get it. gonna me 3/4" bottom and back baffle with the top and front out of plexi.

adam

ramos
08-07-2003, 11:20 AM
Any imperfections will show with black paint as well. Just keep sanding man. It will get there :D Besides if you switch hands every so often while your sanding . By the time your done. You will have forearms like popeye :D :)

rjuge
08-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Two words.. DUAL ACTION....

if you're blessed enough to own a compressor (or know a friend), grab a DA buffer/polisher thing, attach a sanding pad and take an hour or two, tops!.

ss3079
08-07-2003, 12:59 PM
It took about 50 oz...sorry thats the only way i could tell you.
I used 30+ sq ft of mat.
1 1/2 gallons of resin.

50oz's is only like 1 liter lol ... didn't expect it to be that little :)

Thanks for the numbers though! :) It helps a lot.

- Steve

ramos
08-07-2003, 01:16 PM
Two words.. DUAL ACTION....

if you're blessed enough to own a compressor (or know a friend), grab a DA buffer/polisher thing, attach a sanding pad and take an hour or two, tops!.

A power sander is great. But I wouldn't use it for the final sanding. It would be a shame to take all the time to get everything as smooth as possible then have a sander leave marks in your body filler. Ask a professional auto body person what they use to sand the final coat of body filler. I'll give you a hint. It's not a sander :)

NitroDuck
08-07-2003, 03:58 PM
i can say that you are a punk! simply put your a punk with too much time on his hands that can make a pretty **** good looking box for his first time doing it. i myself will be makin me a dual e12a box in the future when money is there to get it. gonna me 3/4" bottom and back baffle with the top and front out of plexi.

adam

Nice my first enemy of these forums :furious:

are there going to be sides to that box of yours? you just mentioned top, bottom, front, and back. jk man good luck with it. I was going to do something like that too but i couldnt find any cheap thick plexi

Gauntlet
08-07-2003, 04:01 PM
It took about 50 oz...sorry thats the only way

That's all you used to soak the fleece? I used 20 oz more than that for just my kicks, which pale in comparison to your box size-wise. What type of fleece did you use?

NitroDuck
08-07-2003, 04:11 PM
i dunno...fleece fleece? I got it at joanne fabrics. Would it matter that it was stretched pretty well?

I did soak it pretty well. maybe my measurments are off?

ss3079
08-07-2003, 04:15 PM
i dunno...fleece fleece? I got it at joanne fabrics. Would it matter that it was stretched pretty well?

Cotton or polyester? I dont know if it makes that much of a difference though.

I was told a minimum of 1 gallon (~ 4 liters) so soak the fleece in my project.

- Steve

Gauntlet
08-07-2003, 04:20 PM

Describe your soaking process...I worked in really small areas at a time, and just kept brushing resin on until it would no longer soak it up....but if you worked in slightly bigger areas, the resin could have begun the hardening process before you got it thoroughly soaked; meaning that it looked like the fleece had soaked up as much resin as possible, but the hardened mixture just prevented it from soaking it up...

NitroDuck
08-07-2003, 04:36 PM
Cotton or polyester? I dont know if it makes that much of a difference though.

I was told a minimum of 1 gallon (~ 4 liters) so soak the fleece in my project.

- Steve

Really? 1 gallon?...wow...i used nowhere near that. Im not sure what kinda fleece it was just that it was blue and cost 7$ a yard.

Describe your soaking process...I worked in really small areas at a time, and just kept brushing resin on until it would no longer soak it up....but if you worked in slightly bigger areas, the resin could have begun the hardening process before you got it thoroughly soaked; meaning that it looked like the fleece had soaked up as much resin as possible, but the hardened mixture just prevented it from soaking it up...

I did a bigger area at a time and you might be correct on the hardning before it was fully soaked. Would this effect my box in any way? Could i just take resin, pour it in the hole and swish it around?

ramos
08-07-2003, 04:37 PM
I do it pretty much the way Gauntlet described. I use the cheap crap fleece from wally world :D It's like a 60/40 cotton/polyester split I believe. I purposely mix the resin a little cooler than I normally do. Just so that it will soak in until the fleece won't hold anymore resin. :)

ramos
08-07-2003, 04:39 PM
You allready glassed over the fleece. You don't have to worry :)

ss3079
08-07-2003, 04:39 PM
Mix one liter and one tube of the supplied hardener at one time, work in small area's until the fleece is saturated and cannot hold any more resin. Mix more resin, repeat process.

- Steve

ramos
08-07-2003, 04:49 PM
yep that's pretty much the way i do it. except here it's quarts :D when I'm just laying up glass. I mix it almost twice as hot. Then by the time I'm done with 3 or four layers. You could fry eggs on it :D :)

ss3079
08-07-2003, 04:51 PM
About how long of application time do you have to work with? I guess its dependant on the brand and weather ... can I mix this stuff in a rubbery kind of bucket?

- Steve

Gauntlet
08-07-2003, 05:23 PM
About how long of application time do you have to work with? I guess its dependant on the brand and weather ... can I mix this stuff in a rubbery kind of bucket?

- Steve

I used Bondo, and the working time was about 10/15 minutes. If it's hotter than say 75 or so outside, use a little less hardener, and if its colder, use a little more. I used a little more than what the manufacturer recommended anyways just for the hell of it.....but if it stars smoking, use less next time. (I learned that the hard way ;) )

And I used Dixie cups to mix everything in. They're incredibly cheap, disposable, and one half of the cup is 2 oz, which is the perfect amount (for me, at least) to use per batch.

ss3079
08-07-2003, 05:24 PM
I was planning on having a big rubber bucket and dumping in a liter with the supplied catalyst :D 10-15 minutes should be enough to rid of the liter.

- Steve

ramos
08-07-2003, 05:29 PM

- Steve

With the cold fleece mixture. Usually about 10-20 minutes. With the hot mixture about 5-8 minutes.

The weather and humidity are the big factors.

Yeah I use plastic cups so I don't see why a rubber bucket wouldn't work. Just don't mix it too hot. It could get pretty messy if it started

ramos
08-07-2003, 05:30 PM
I used Bondo, and the working time was about 10/15 minutes. If it's hotter than say 75 or so outside, use a little less hardener, and if its colder, use a little more. I used a little more than what the manufacturer recommended anyways just for the hell of it.....but if it stars smoking, use less next time. (I learned that the hard way ;) )

And I used Dixie cups to mix everything in. They're incredibly cheap, disposable, and one half of the cup is 2 oz, which is the perfect amount (for me, at least) to use per batch.

Ahhhhhh......you learn quick young grasshopper :D :)

Gauntlet
08-07-2003, 05:36 PM
LOL ;) :D