PDA

View Full Version : help, HT sub firing direction, cornerload or downfiring?

Supergumby5000
12-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Just looking for reference on the better way to load a subwoofer for my home stereo project.

Box will be ported, this is for a single 12" setup (12" Eduh EQHS).

What do you guys think? downfiring with port to the side, or sub and port on same side, cornerloading off the wall?

djman37
12-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Just looking for reference on the better way to load a subwoofer for my home stereo project.

Box will be ported, this is for a single 12" setup (12" Eduh EQHS).

What do you guys think? downfiring with port to the side, or sub and port on same side, cornerloading off the wall?

sub and port on the same plane gets my vote. There are articles about loading and output and corner loading would yield the most output. Do you plan to tune the enclosure to use the corner loading? My old JBL's had a recommended distance from the wall for best output.

dman4486
12-09-2008, 02:05 PM
for general use I would go for the sub/port down.

but if this is a project, then do the research and go for the loading.

Supergumby5000
12-09-2008, 02:06 PM
sub and port on the same plane gets my vote. There are articles about loading and output and corner loading would yield the most output. Do you plan to tune the enclosure to use the corner loading? My old JBL's had a recommended distance from the wall for best output.

Do you know where i could get some more info on this?

I was just going to build a basic ported box, tuned for daily music listening. home stereo is still fairly new to me.

netzero
12-09-2008, 02:13 PM
I have two 10" Premiers with subs/port on the same plane facing a corner on the far side of my room. It's tuned low, 25 Hz. Sounds flat and shakes the whole house off little power. I always heard to tune low and experiment with distances and placement.

djman37
12-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Do you know where i could get some more info on this?

I was just going to build a basic ported box, tuned for daily music listening. home stereo is still fairly new to me.

They were the old Flagship JBL-L7 towers. There may be a manual online somewhere.
My current HT sub is a Dayton Quatro 12" rear-facing with the port also rear-facing. It doesn't need more than 60 watts.

mlstrass
12-09-2008, 04:14 PM
FYIl......firing against a wall does not equal corner loading. And unless you plan to use a RS SPL meter to test placement options just build whatever suites you and is easiest.

mlstrass
12-09-2008, 04:15 PM
either tune up in the 20's or do sealed if this is primarily for music...

Supergumby5000
12-09-2008, 07:36 PM
either tune up in the 20's or do sealed if this is primarily for music...

that low? I keep getting mixed reviews on what tuning should be :crazy:

Some have been telling me mid 30's, others have been saying 20's

aahhh, which is it?

mlstrass
12-09-2008, 07:41 PM
you won't get the bottom end boost in a house like you do in a car. High 20's should be very musical.

You could check hometheatershack for some possible builds with that sub.

dman4486
12-10-2008, 10:07 AM
that low? I keep getting mixed reviews on what tuning should be :crazy:

Some have been telling me mid 30's, others have been saying 20's

aahhh, which is it?

for HT go in the 20's

hell....I went in the mid 20's in my auto:D

Flipx99
12-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Mine is sealed in the corner and gets plenty loud. I didn't find the need to port later. However, I do not play any music on it. Explosions are probably easier to handle than music.