PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas For A Good Audio System

williambrea
12-09-2008, 11:13 AM
I have a pretty solid budget 1k-2k and i need everything (reciver, speaker, amp,subwoofer) It would be a 7.1 surround sound controlled on a computer.

Any combos or any good advice would be awsome!

JimJ
12-09-2008, 11:20 AM
7.1, IMO, isn't worth it.

williambrea
12-09-2008, 11:45 AM
okay, it kinda seems like too many speakers to me as well. So i guess a 5.1 system would be the next step?

I have some recivers in mind
http://www.testfreaks.com/receivers/onkyo-tx-sr876/

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/sony-str-da5300es/4505-6466_7-32552105.html?tag=rnav

if i had those, looking for a subwoofer and speakers

Johnny Law.Lulz
12-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Thme joints are expensive lol. Ill you my Pioneer Reciever, CD player and Amp for what you can get one of those for lol

dman4486
12-09-2008, 11:50 AM
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/default.php

JimJ
12-09-2008, 04:04 PM
For $2k, I'd rather get a separate preamp/processor and power amplifier than just a simple receiver, personally :) That's enough of a budget you can afford some nice front-end equipment and still have enough for very good DIY speakers.

Flipx99
12-09-2008, 08:30 PM
For $2k, I'd rather get a separate preamp/processor and power amplifier than just a simple receiver, personally :) That's enough of a budget you can afford some nice front-end equipment and still have enough for very good DIY speakers.

Meh...you can get Pioneer Elite stuff in that price range....and it is nice. With time align, speaker adjust, etc, etc....it has great features.

joetama
12-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Interesting...

I am agreeing with Jim that I would prefer separates to a integrated system.

To be 100% honest your best bet is to just go out and listen and talk to guy at shops. Tell them your budget and what you want to do and have a listen.

If you have a general idea of what you want Audiogon is a great place to find deals on used equipment.

I saw a Cambridge link posted above, they make very nice equipment for the money.

Have you thought about going with a 3.1 system, not purchasing 2 channels of amplification and speakers can sometimes mean you can really go to the next step up on the 3.1 speakers you do get. I have 'surround' speakers right now, but they aren't hooked up and to be 100% honest I don't miss them. If your LCR system is setup correctly surrounds are good but not a requirement.

Lets say you spend $500 on the receiver/amplifier that gives you $1500 for the speakers. 6 speakers at $1500 is $250/speaker. You aren't really going to be getting much for $250 per speaker. But, if you went 3.1 you would have $375/speaker. Which in the terms of entry level equipment and speakers $125 more is a lot of extra money. It is the difference between blah and wow.

I would recommend you do the subwoofer yourself at your price point. Get a decent 12" and put it in a sealed box (or ported if your fancy like that) and a plate amp and you are set.

tcguy85
12-09-2008, 10:54 PM
7.1, IMO, isn't worth it.

yea, 5.1 is enough.

JimJ
12-09-2008, 11:08 PM
With time align, speaker adjust, etc, etc....it has great features.

Want to change PLDs? Pick the speaker up :D

joetama
12-10-2008, 02:19 AM
Want to change PLDs? Pick the speaker up :D

That would work I guess...

Flipx99
12-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Interesting...

I am agreeing with Jim that I would prefer separates to a integrated system.

To be 100% honest your best bet is to just go out and listen and talk to guy at shops. Tell them your budget and what you want to do and have a listen.

If you have a general idea of what you want Audiogon is a great place to find deals on used equipment.

I saw a Cambridge link posted above, they make very nice equipment for the money.

Have you thought about going with a 3.1 system, not purchasing 2 channels of amplification and speakers can sometimes mean you can really go to the next step up on the 3.1 speakers you do get. I have 'surround' speakers right now, but they aren't hooked up and to be 100% honest I don't miss them. If your LCR system is setup correctly surrounds are good but not a requirement.

Lets say you spend $500 on the receiver/amplifier that gives you $1500 for the speakers. 6 speakers at $1500 is $250/speaker. You aren't really going to be getting much for $250 per speaker. But, if you went 3.1 you would have $375/speaker. Which in the terms of entry level equipment and speakers $125 more is a lot of extra money. It is the difference between blah and wow.

I would recommend you do the subwoofer yourself at your price point. Get a decent 12" and put it in a sealed box (or ported if your fancy like that) and a plate amp and you are set.

Couple Comments:

If a person opts for 3.1, should they still opt for a 7.1 receiever? I'd say so. My receiver has the option to use channel 6 and 7 to bi-amp with channels 1 & 2.

I'd agree on the subwoofer. It is really the easiest thing to do...and things pre-fabbed aren't really much better.

I'd also agree about cheaping out on the speakers. I opted to go cheap and do this Polk Audio 2/$99 thing. They are ineffecient and junk. I am doing this 3.1 route and hope to upgrade surrounds some time in the future. What 3.1 to go with? Well I am still up in the air. Something to consider is the kits from madisound. Basically, you assemble the cabinet. It comes with speakers and pre-built x-over, which is great for people like me who are semi-diy. However, I don't think any of the madisound kits work as center channels. I am still looking at this option.

joetama
12-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Couple Comments:

If a person opts for 3.1, should they still opt for a 7.1 receiever? I'd say so. My receiver has the option to use channel 6 and 7 to bi-amp with channels 1 & 2.

I'd agree on the subwoofer. It is really the easiest thing to do...and things pre-fabbed aren't really much better.

I'd also agree about cheaping out on the speakers. I opted to go cheap and do this Polk Audio 2/$99 thing. They are ineffecient and junk. I am doing this 3.1 route and hope to upgrade surrounds some time in the future. What 3.1 to go with? Well I am still up in the air. Something to consider is the kits from madisound. Basically, you assemble the cabinet. It comes with speakers and pre-built x-over, which is great for people like me who are semi-diy. However, I don't think any of the madisound kits work as center channels. I am still looking at this option.

The 7.1/5.1 receiver I guess is up to you. If you never plan on going with 7.1 then you really don't need a 7.1 receiver. But, if a receiver has the features you like, is in your budget, and sounds great, plus it is 7.1 don't discount it just because it is 7.1.

I've never really looked at the Madisound kits, but I'm sure they can't **** as much as Polk... ;)

Flipx99
12-10-2008, 11:38 AM
It cost about ~$800 for that Polk stuff. While it sounds okay (And I say that with great trepidation...I guess the correct phrasing is "they make noise"), I should have shopped around a bit more and bought higher quality.

joetama
12-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Just looked at the Madisound kits... There is some serious potential there for great sounding systems.

A word on the center channel issue. Just buy 3 speaker kits total, build the first two as the L&R and the third a bit sidways like:

--T------T -----T
WMW or WM or MM or even just a squat box with he traditional Tweeter midrange orientation.

Flipx99
12-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Wouldn't the xover need changing with a different orientation? I'd venture to guess Zaph or someone would say yes...doubt I could hear the difference.

I did consider a MTM with the T superscripted between the M's...which I suppose is what you where trying to demonstrate.

joetama
12-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Wouldn't the xover need changing with a different orientation? I'd venture to guess Zaph or someone would say yes...doubt I could hear the difference.

I did consider a MTM with the T superscripted between the M's...which I suppose is what you where trying to demonstrate.

You are correct with both assumptions...