PDA

View Full Version : anybody know about alarms?

hotown
07-27-2003, 08:47 PM
is this a good alarm? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3037986570&category=14934

i want a good alarm with a pager, i dont really want to spend into the hundreds...if this isnt good can you reccomend something that is
-rhett

lizardskins7
07-27-2003, 09:32 PM
If you can spend a little more, I'd strongly reccomend a DEI 554t, that's what I ended up getting. Mine ran me around $180 shipped on ebay. Tons more features and much more reliable.

The one you linked to on ebay should be alright though. My friend has a generic pager alarm kind of like that one and it works fine.

hotown
07-27-2003, 11:36 PM
but that remote start will only work with a car thats an automatic, i have a stick, so shouldnt i prolly go with something without that feature and it will prolly end up being less money...?

hotown
07-27-2003, 11:42 PM
i do want something exactly like that tho, i really like that beeper. unless i misunderstood and somehow it will start a car with a manual transmission. otherwise if anyone knows another alarm?

DOHCDX
07-28-2003, 08:05 PM
i would HIGHLY recommend you go with a brand that is tried and true. anything from DEI, alpine, clifford or crimestopper will be a decent setup.

lizardskins7
07-28-2003, 10:28 PM
i do want something exactly like that tho, i really like that beeper. unless i misunderstood and somehow it will start a car with a manual transmission. otherwise if anyone knows another alarm?

I think there's a way that you can wire it to start a manual and they just don't want you to do it because if the car was accidentally left in gear it would start moving. With an automatic you don't have to deal with that since it's always going to be in park.
Don't quote me on that though, that's just what I remember hearing somewhere.

I'd reccomend asking over at the sounddomain forums, they have a much more active security forum than the one here and you'd probably get better answers.

Aurorav8
07-29-2003, 01:30 AM
You can hook up an auto start to a manual, but it's illegal in some states.

BonusBobo
07-29-2003, 03:16 AM
You can hook up an auto start to a manual, but it's illegal in some states.

Indeed it is. It's illegal here in Oregon.

hotown
07-29-2003, 03:49 AM
its not illegal if u dont get caught tho...is it a hard install on a manual for the remote start?

joshpoints
07-29-2003, 06:00 PM
its not illegal if u dont get caught tho...is it a hard install on a manual for the remote start?

You would have to split into the wire that runs to the clutch pedal that allows the car to start when the clutch pedal is pushed down. I have a manual but didn't feel like going throught the trouble of the remote start. Hooked up about everyother feature on my alarm system though.

hotown
07-29-2003, 08:29 PM
but it will tell you with the alarm how to do it with a manual trans?

joshpoints
08-09-2003, 01:11 PM
but it will tell you with the alarm how to do it with a manual trans?

I don't know if it tells you in the installation instruction booklet, but if you get an alarm from crimestopper they have tech support to guide you through the process.

karter74
09-17-2003, 08:37 PM
A problem with all that though, is if you accidentally leave it in gear and try to start your car, it will drive off. I have heard horror stories of peoples cars driving through their back yard!

jlaine
09-17-2003, 09:35 PM
but that remote start will only work with a car thats an automatic, i have a stick, so shouldnt i prolly go with something without that feature and it will prolly end up being less money...?

You can put an auto start in a manual... I have one in mine.

Few problems though.

Best bet is to run a negative trigger to the brain off the e-brake, so that the system won't start the vehicle unless it's engaged. That and you have to remember to leave it in neutral, or you'll run the risk of tearing some stuff up pretty badly.

And as far as I know, the law about remote starts in manuals is a federal mandate, so no matter what state, it's not allowed - so you'll be installing it yourself, and at your own risk.