PDA

View Full Version : Recessed sub mounting ??? How much bracing

Jeepjones85
12-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Ok iv got 4 Dc lvl-3 15's And im thinking of making my subs flush with the front
of the box. Now I know just doing that I will be using two cut to size sheets of
3/4in mdf...My question is should I make the front where the subs will be recessed and mounted to, thicker with a 3rd sheet of mdf so that the subs will actually be screwed into two sheets of 3/4mdf instead of just one sheet...Or does it matter Thanks

Rashaddd
12-08-2008, 11:12 PM
doesn't matter really...two sheets with one flushed is basically identical to two sheets without one flushed. I can't say for sure, but with a really tight flush, that could even be stronger possibly

Jeepjones85
12-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Yeah that was what I was thinking, If I put enough glue and wood screws in between the two sheets I dont see where it would lose any structural strength...Right??

Rashaddd
12-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Yeah that was what I was thinking, If I put enough glue and wood screws in between the two sheets I dont see where it would lose any structural strength...Right??

right...what makes a double sheet strong is the surface area to thickness ratio being cut in half, the little tiny bit you cut out to flush mount is nothing, and actually can provide extra inward support cuz the wood isn't gonna bend the sub...lets hope:eek:

a piece of paper flaps like hell in the wind, but if you somehow permanently attached a few hundred of em together they'd be like a brick.

Mr. Slate
12-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Yes, 2 layers should be sufficient.