PDA

View Full Version : Type of paint...

IDSkoT
12-07-2008, 11:00 PM
HEY GANG!
HOW ARE YOU ALL?!

... Anyway...

I've been wondering, what paint is used to make that hard sort of look... Here's a visual aid...

http://www.gspr.com/outlaw/images/lfm1compact_front_75.jpg

I don't know much about paint. So, any insight would be baller.

fbi90909
12-07-2008, 11:09 PM
semi flat black?

IDSkoT
12-07-2008, 11:10 PM
semi flat black?

Is that all? Just a nice coat of semi-flat black?

Would you have to use primer and the such (on a wooden surface.)

sctattooer
12-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Looks like a satin finish to me, and yes, you definately need to prime

JimJ
12-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Moreso than the kind of paint used, it takes a lot of elbow grease to do that on a material like MDF.

That looks like a satin/low-gloss paint, but a lacquer would provide a more glossy finish...it'd require sanding sealer, filling, sanding, high-build primer, sanding, more primer, sanding, primer, wet sanding with progressively finer grits once you've gotten past dry sanding, multiple finish coats...

Of course, it depends on how **** you are about cosmetics :)

IDSkoT
12-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Moreso than the kind of paint used, it takes a lot of elbow grease to do that on a material like MDF.

That looks like a satin/low-gloss paint, but a lacquer would provide a more glossy finish...it'd require sanding sealer, filling, sanding, high-build primer, sanding, more primer, sanding, primer, wet sanding with progressively finer grits once you've gotten past dry sanding, multiple finish coats...

Of course, it depends on how **** you are about cosmetics :)

I was actually gunna make a book-shelf or something and wanted it to have a nice finish. What kind of wood do you prefer for this kind of deal? I planned on kerfing the top part, so it had a nice round-over edge.

It doesn't really have to be "OMG!" nice... but, of course I'd waste a lot of time making sure it has a nice finish.

DBBOOM
12-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Paint it with Kilz primer, then sand with a jitterbug sander with a medium/fine grit , then apply two coats of a high grade laquer. Gives a good hard finish. You can sand between all coats for a smoother finish, if you like.

JimJ
12-08-2008, 12:06 AM
I was actually gunna make a book-shelf or something and wanted it to have a nice finish. What kind of wood do you prefer for this kind of deal? I planned on kerfing the top part, so it had a nice round-over edge.

It doesn't really have to be "OMG!" nice... but, of course I'd waste a lot of time making sure it has a nice finish.

The right way to get that kind of an edge would be to use a roundover bit on a router.

If you're going to paint, MDF is fine, if you're going to leave it natural, oak, birch or apple ply...

IDSkoT
12-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Paint it with Kilz primer, then sand with a jitterbug sander with a medium/fine grit , then apply two coats of a high grade laquer. Gives a good hard finish. You can sand between all coats for a smoother finish, if you like.

Real men sand by hand.
Real men and broke men.

DBBOOM
12-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Real men sand by hand.
Real men and broke men.

I got a Black&Decker for like $30 at lowes, works fine for no more than i sand.

JB513
12-08-2008, 12:31 AM
Should be a pretty nice looking book shelf if you going with a finish like that. Definitely going to need a smooth surface to make sure you have no imperfections in your finish. Be ready to sand away!