PDA

View Full Version : Jl audio C5 or xr's

trabadoor22
12-07-2008, 08:38 PM
I have the 6.5" Xr set now, but one of the mids is blown and they just came out with the C5 set so I was thinking of upgrading. However I'm just curious if anyone has compared these two and what your thoughts are on how they compare. Thanks.

916Kev
12-07-2008, 10:48 PM
I used to have the C5s. They're a decent set. I recommend 'em if you can get a good deal but otherwise there's better for their price.

efm80
12-08-2008, 12:37 AM
I used to have the C5s. They're a decent set. I recommend 'em if you can get a good deal but otherwise there's better for their price.

how do you like your K2P's now??

trabadoor22
12-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the replies, but to be honest I'm really only looking at the c5's or xr's. I like the xr's, but I don't know if the c5's, paticularly the mids, are any better.

Horsemanwill
12-08-2008, 08:56 PM
if your talking about these jl's in the review here

http://www.caraudiomag.com/reviews/caep_0809_fullrange_system_roundup_speakers_review _jl_audio_c5_650x/index.html

then you should read this review here

http://www.caraudiomag.com/reviews/caep_0810_speaker_roundup_image_dynamics_eclipse_e xile/index.html

the id ranked way better then those and they are alot less expensive.

trabadoor22
12-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Those are the coaxial sets, I'm looking at the true component set. Either way I am only looking at the c5's or xr's. I appreciate the help, but please be respectful of this. I am only looking to see how the c5's compare to the xr's.

Hoodlum007
12-10-2008, 01:10 PM
The XR set have a very harsh tweeter but JL fixed that with the new C5 comps, the C5 have a very nice smooth silk tweeter. Only draw back with the C5's is the price but again they do sound great.

okiedokie
12-10-2008, 07:28 PM
have you eave listen to Cr's or Xr in a car environment?
They do sound different on a sounding board, so if you buy one of these sets & you aren"t happy later on, Then you blame yourself for not being open minded.

trabadoor22
12-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the info Hoodlum007. I was quoted $450 installed for the 6.5" C5 set, but I could get the XR set on ebay for half that. I don't mind the XR's tweeter since I have them set to -3db's on the crossover. I did hear the C5's on the sound board, but they didn't have any XR sets to compare to. From what I did hear their sound was very similar to the XR's, but the tweeter was smoother.

Yes I have listened to the XR set in a car, for about 4 years now, and I like them a lot. No offense, but I think I am open minded. I've listened to many, many speaker sets and spent a lot of money doing so. I ended up coming to the conclusion that I just seem to prefer the Jl's. I'm not saying there isn't better out there, I just don't have the time or patience to find a speaker that is better right now.