PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of Low Tuning

Miller
07-27-2003, 01:24 PM
I have a 3.3 cubic foot box tuned to 35 Hz. I want to FEEL the bass more when I listen to low bass. Right now my box sounds very punchy and kind of tight.....If I were to build a 5 cubic foot box tuned to 30 Hz would I be able to feel the bass more when I listen to deeper bass, while maintaining SPL....or should I tune it lower/higher??

willll
07-27-2003, 01:27 PM
if you want lower bass, go sealed.

Miller
07-27-2003, 01:29 PM
I dont want to sacrifice to much SPL for lower bass.........going sealed would be sacrificing alot of SPL for SQ. I want to maintain my SPL, but have my subs sound deeper.

jbl_marshall21
07-27-2003, 03:25 PM
well yes 30 u would know a difference. u would get some very low end. mine is tuned extremely low and it does get very loud also. 25-30 is very nice.

Miller
07-27-2003, 11:24 PM
so what should I tune my box to if I want to feel low bass more, while still maintaining spl?

Randy Savage
07-27-2003, 11:30 PM

Ummm...no...

bigred78797
07-28-2003, 12:01 AM
If you want to feel the bass more on the lower end i would tune it into the 20's. I first tuned my box to 38 hz... WAYYYY too high for my taste, i listen to alot of music where it plays 25 and lower hz constatnly, and i couldn't listen to half of the music cuz that was too low for the box. So i pulled everything out and tuned it to 26 hz. It sounded much better, sacrificed very little SPL, and was able to hit the LOW notes easily and much louder. I would suggest tuning lower in the mid 20's

Gauntlet
07-28-2003, 12:12 AM
Jesus, mid 20s is LOW!

If you tune to 30, you'll be able to play notes down to around 22/23, which (should) fulfill your needs for lower bass.

Miller
07-28-2003, 12:28 AM
ok....one says mid 20's, the other says 30. So how does 28 Hz sound??? I'm not competing I just want it to sound loud to the ear. What are your thoughts on 28 Hz?? Will I be able to tell a difference from 35?
Also, Can a slot port be to thin? Would it be ok to make a slot port 31.5"x 1" x 16"

abcdefg
07-28-2003, 12:54 AM
ok....one says mid 20's, the other says 30. So how does 28 Hz sound??? I'm not competing I just want it to sound loud to the ear. What are your thoughts on 28 Hz?? Will I be able to tell a difference from 35?
Also, Can a slot port be to thin? Would it be ok to make a slot port 31.5"x 1" x 16"

yes a slot port can be to thin, if its to thin u may encounter port noise so make it a lil wider say like 3 to 5 inches wide instead of 1

B0mberman
07-28-2003, 01:57 AM

What? haha it's based on what you tune ur port to be. Go for like 25 hz. SOunds to me u play a lot of hip hop or somethin, but yeah...just set it lowww...and port that sucker.

If you port it, you will lose some SQ (basically real life bass reproduction) and gain more SPL. Your bass won't be tight and accurate, but more laggy, but it'll rumble ur car a lot more.

A sealed enclosure has a more flat transient response vs. ported enclosure, where the transient response can fluctuate according to the port u tune it to.

Basically, if you want louder bass that'll sound a lot better at the low notes, go port that sucker to like 25. A lot of the music I listen to is around that range. Good luck

willll
07-28-2003, 02:27 AM
SOunds to me u play a lot of hip hop or somethin

yep, sure do. i like a flat response, it is essential to my sound quality, as i like equal bass response accros a wide range of frequencies for a wide range of music, as apposed to peaks at or below 25hz. i thought the human ear stopped hearing things at 20hz, which could leave you with a limited range of frequency, although it would be nice and low i'll wager.

B0mberman
07-28-2003, 05:07 AM
yep, sure do. i like a flat response, it is essential to my sound quality, as i like equal bass response accros a wide range of frequencies for a wide range of music, as apposed to peaks at or below 25hz. i thought the human ear stopped hearing things at 20hz, which could leave you with a limited range of frequency, although it would be nice and low i'll wager.

Haha couldn't have said it better myself =D

If you guys like some hip hop and eminem, u could try peepin dj green lantern's conspiracy theory cd instead of those bass test cd's...it's kinda old now, but it still got some songs that has quite a bit of bass on the low end...keeps my mirrors blurry all the time =D

Particularly...Conspiracy theory freestyle, bump heads, go to sleep, and we all die one day.

SOrry for jackin ur thread, but for any of those who are tired of hip hop always talkin about *****es and bling, press 1

Trixter
07-28-2003, 10:43 AM
I have my 3 HE2's ported at 26Hz and I feel the lows plenty. I also achieve a decent amoutn of SPL. (The scores in my sig.; the first is w/ 1400w and the second is w/ 700w.) They were hit with the same port as my daily driving.

As for your port dimensions you mentioned earlier, you'll want to keep a 9:1 ratio for the height and width to keep accurate tuning.

Miller
07-28-2003, 12:52 PM
I have decided to tune my box around 28 Hz, but I want to be able to have it hit hight Hz just for fun. I want to make 2 ports for daily listening and a plugged port that I can plug and unplug as I please for SPL.
I havent heard much about plugged ports. What do you use to plug ports? Please just fill me in on it, thanks

Miller
07-28-2003, 01:27 PM
Ok, did a little research and this is what I am thinking. two 7"x2"x16" ports tuning it to 28 Hz, then make a third port that is 7"x2"x16" and plug it so when I unplug it it will tune my box to 35 Hz. Now I just need help on plugging ports.

Trixter
07-28-2003, 01:28 PM
I have heard about plugging ports but have not done it myself, sorry, can't comment. I use round ports so I can just change them out.

Miller
07-28-2003, 01:34 PM
anybody have experience with plugging ports??