PDA

View Full Version : new box design, what yall think

jbl_marshall21
07-26-2003, 06:03 PM
http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/showphoto.php?photo=1633

ok i want to build a bigger box and one that was a lil cooler. i'm thinking for ideas right. hopefully someday each sub will be getting 300 watts each. i have called around town and the thickest plexi i can get is 1/2 inch. would that be ok with just 600 watts and some bracing.

second the ports. the one on the front would be for daily driving tuned around 25 and then when i do a comp i could either plug the front one and unplug the one for the back or leave both unplugged. either way i would like to get around 48-50. whatever u guys think is good for absolute spl. i came up with the box to be bout 7 internally and then i would need to subtract the displacement. so bout 3 a sub.

3rd is the amp underneath. i think i would make a track outta wood so a board just slides out like a shelf or maybe get like some tracks or something. idk but i would like to get the amps a good rack.

what do u guys think so far? this will take up my whole cargo area. i need some box gurus to figure out the ports and things. i think i would probably get 4 inch ports cuz 3 inch wouldn't be enough area.

F150Matt
07-26-2003, 07:38 PM
sounds decent, I've thought about your plexi thing with 1/2'' you will probably be ok. Take a router and take out 1/2'' from the underside of the 3/4'' MDF, put the plexi on the bottom, if you think about pressure pushing on the panel, this seems to be better than the plexi on top. Plus you wont have to worry about being able to see the glue that you use to put the plexi on with. As long as you dont make the window of plexi too big you're going to be fine. May want to add a small fan or two underneath there for the amps too if they are going to be in a small area like that, I admire your idea of making some sort of track so they slide out. Good idea, have fun getting the wiring to slide with it too and make it look neat though. I want to see some pics of this when your done. Good luck.

jbl_marshall21
07-26-2003, 08:16 PM
yea i have been in car audio for something simple. i wanted something fancy. ok if i do take a router ur just talking bout taking out part of the mdf so the plexi will fit flush with the mdf on the top. not sure how to describe but i think i got what ur talking bout. i don't know what i want to do about color. fiberglassing is pretty much outta the question. paint is too flat, and i do know about vinyl. i wanted like a big stripe or something alittle flashy.

fans r a must.

jbl_marshall21
07-26-2003, 11:53 PM
then if i actually do begin to build this box what do u guys think about mirrors inside the box? and some neons? i want this to be some pimp ****. u guys can tell by my old install that i need some flashy.

really need help with the ports.

BDIDDY
07-27-2003, 12:18 AM
then if i actually do begin to build this box what do u guys think about mirrors inside the box? and some neons? i want this to be some pimp ****. u guys can tell by my old install that i need some flashy.

really need help with the ports.

Do some fiberglassing, and do something else with the amps, have them out and in the open. Neons inside with the mirrors would be nice. I would look into fiberglassing because you have all of that room.

jbl_marshall21
07-27-2003, 11:01 AM
Do some fiberglassing, and do something else with the amps, have them out and in the open. Neons inside with the mirrors would be nice. I would look into fiberglassing because you have all of that room.

i lack the whole talent thing. plus its probably a lil costly too.

jbl_marshall21
07-28-2003, 12:11 AM
come on u guys. i need some help with the tuning. i want it so i have one port plugged so it will be at 25 hz and then when i do a comp i can unplug the other one at 49hz and plug the 25hz one.

will it work? there is 7 cubic feet internal volumes. 36"/25"/15"
considering the 3/4 mdf.

biteablegravy
07-28-2003, 10:30 AM
Why not build your flashy box for daily driving, then build a basic SPL box for competing.

Would be alot less headaches, and really wouldn't cost you a whole lot extra.

I wanted to do the same thing you're talking about, but it isn't really practical. Just build seperate boxes and you're set.

[edit] Hmm.. My first post on this board. I've been lurking forever, and just recently got a username.

Oh well, had to start somewhere.

BDIDDY
07-28-2003, 01:12 PM
Why not build your flashy box for daily driving, then build a basic SPL box for competing.

Would be alot less headaches, and really wouldn't cost you a whole lot extra.

I wanted to do the same thing you're talking about, but it isn't really practical. Just build seperate boxes and you're set.

[edit] Hmm.. My first post on this board. I've been lurking forever, and just recently got a username.

Oh well, had to start somewhere.

Welcome to the forum, I totally agree here. Just build 2 boxes so you wont have the headache of doing all of that. BUT yes you would have to switch boxes but there probably wont be that many comps, just every once in a while.

jbl_marshall21
07-28-2003, 06:51 PM
ok yea i see ur points but when i go to a comp i wanna be able to show my sweetness box off. with all the plexi and stuff it will just be too good to only use it for daily driving. well to start off i need somebody smart to get me the tuning for 25hz with a 4 inch port. 7^ft