PDA

View Full Version : 5"by7" Speaker Help

Cbear
07-26-2003, 03:56 PM
Hey,
This is my first post here and I was just wondering if I could get some help. I'm starting on my system for my explorer and just got the head unit so far( alpine 9807). I want to replace the factory speakers, and am looking for the best speakers I can for a reasonable price( Up to 150-200 a pair).

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

-Colin
(AIM name is AychamoCbear)

ShaunMac
07-26-2003, 04:14 PM
If your looking for the best SQ. Look at 5 1/4" components for the front and some simple 5x7" or 5 1/4" coax. for the back. Spend more of your money on the comps in front to get the best sound. Use the rear speakers for rear-fil and don't let them overtake the front imaging.

You will want to get a 4ch. amp to power your speakers.
An amp will give you much better SQ than the H/U power.

You been looking at subwoofers for the future?

Good Luck!

bri487
07-27-2003, 05:13 PM
check out bostons or eclipses. they are both reasonably priced.

limitkid7
07-28-2003, 02:37 PM
as far as price goes check www.ikesound.com

check out the alpine type r's, infinity kappas, rf and kicker components...

onlinecarstereo.com / the zeb have good stuff too but i'd go w/ikesound b/c u'll most likely find something w/in ur price range, HOWEVER w/speakers - everyone's taste is different, remember that (food for thought)

bri487
07-28-2003, 07:04 PM
check out purecaraudio.com , they have the best prices that i have found so far.

limitkid7
07-28-2003, 07:24 PM
check out purecaraudio.com , they have the best prices that i have found so far.

they do have good prices but ike's cheaper, depending on product.....
purecaraudio takes forever to deliver on the east coast

limitkid7
07-29-2003, 09:47 AM
Hey,
This is my first post here and I was just wondering if I could get some help. I'm starting on my system for my explorer and just got the head unit so far( alpine 9807). I want to replace the factory speakers, and am looking for the best speakers I can for a reasonable price( Up to 150-200 a pair).

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

-Colin
(AIM name is AychamoCbear)

i'm about to get some kappa's 5x7 for 76.50$ rms is only 100 watts, which will sound nice off of my hifonivs

BonusBobo
07-30-2003, 06:14 PM
If your looking for the best SQ. Look at 5 1/4" components for the front and some simple 5x7" or 5 1/4" coax. for the back. Spend more of your money on the comps in front to get the best sound. Use the rear speakers for rear-fil and don't let them overtake the front imaging.

You will want to get a 4ch. amp to power your speakers.
An amp will give you much better SQ than the H/U power.

You been looking at subwoofers for the future?

Good Luck!

That's basically exactly what I would've said. I own a 93 explorer, I got 5 1/4" comps int he front. They are Alpine Type-X, last year's model. You can catch some on ikesound.com before they go out of stock. They are phenomenal speakers. I also have simply alpine type-s 5x7 coaxes in the back.

Your explorer, stock, is 6x8's all around I presume? That means you can either go with 5 1/4" components and not have to cut anything, or cut the door and put some 6.5's in, which might sound a little better, midbass-wise.

I recommend a USX-4065 for a 4-channel amp, too. Or you can buy warren's hifonics which is in the amplifier classifieds... a lot of options.