PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer vs alpine?

JamesKarr
12-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Ive currently got a Pioneer DEH-P500UB waiting to be installed once I get everything else I need. Ive been eying the alpine ida-x200 for about the same price and considering the switch

What would be the better Headunit. I honestly think I like the layout on the alpine better but have not used either.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6243
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6265

wu501
12-05-2008, 04:26 PM
if your looking for ipod speed go with the Alpine. If your not using it mainly for ipod use I would go with the Pioneer.

JamesKarr
12-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Im going to be doing a little of both. Maybe I will just give the Pioneer a shot first.

xxBURT0Nxx
12-05-2008, 04:35 PM
well that alpine only plays ipod no cds or anything... I would probably get the pioneer, but if you want a comparable alpine, get like the 9886, it plays cd's, and is going to be much better for iPod

James Bang
12-05-2008, 04:35 PM
IMO, alpine's build quality on their new HUs just isn't the same as their older models.

JamesKarr
12-05-2008, 04:36 PM
well that alpine only plays ipod no cds or anything... I would probably get the pioneer, but if you want a comparable alpine, get like the 9886, it plays cd's, and is going to be much better for iPod

HAHA wow I did not know that! Looks like Im keeping what I have

wu36ca
12-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Pioneer's build quality is terrible.

JamesKarr
12-05-2008, 04:43 PM
I really wish we had a delete feature like some forums do. Thanks for the replies. Keeping what I have

Anniku989
12-05-2008, 04:48 PM
IMO, alpine's build quality on their new HUs just isn't the same as their older models.

The new pioneer's arn't any better though.

Almost temped to go try those fancy new jvc's out

bigaudiofanatic
12-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Alpine go with alpine they just have a better quality head unit

cam5860
12-07-2008, 01:06 PM
I had the pioneer premier 880 headunit top of the line. I now have the alpine 9886 and i'm here to tell you the sound quality is much better. Pioneers tend to have a more warmer sound to them. The Alpine are really clean and the highs are airy and crisp where as the pioneer have a duller sound to them. Pioneer's are good headunits also. I just prefer the sound quality of the alpine better. Either way you can't go wrong though.

Bass Addict
12-07-2008, 01:13 PM
i use to use pioneer.ive had a really good one bout 6 yrs ago.when i upgraded to the alpine,even though i really didnt need to.i was very impressed with every thing about it.i will never look back again.the alpines really sound good and have alot of *** if you get the right one.the only thing that dissapoints me about the newer alpines is the color change.

Super Pickle
12-07-2008, 03:40 PM
The new pioneer's arn't any better though.

Almost temped to go try those fancy new jvc's out

Dude, im in the same boat haha.

On of my friends just got one of these http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=16843

And i have never seen anything like it for the price.

I picked up an alpine 9886 and like it BETTER than my pioneer 880prs, it just feels sturdier and i like the display better..

Also, the kenwood excelons are very nice

Anniku989
12-08-2008, 01:42 AM
Yea, I had a pioneer 6800mp, which I LOVED. Then I got this alpine (A 9885 I think, check the sig) and although I have to admit, it does sound better, and feel ALOT sturdier, and look alot cleaner, I still like the pioneer more. More options, and more features that means more to me. I love the pause and mute on the alpine, great for bassracing, but just not there yet. Display is a little dissapointing, not as crisp as the pio, and no where near the amount of display features (really miss the volt meter). Biggest dissapointment of this alpine is that it has a 2-band eq. Has low, and highs. Gotta spend another $200 for the spectrum analizer, which is bullshit, to unlock the other options................

Next hu will NOT be an alpine/pioneer. Eclipse, jvc, or kenwood

Edit:
And, the pioneer had hpf/lpf filters for all three sets of rca's (active capable), where this alpine just has hpf for the front, and thats it (no lpf for substage...). Which is a HUGE factor for me. I'll be honest, it still sounds as good/better than the pioneer did, even with the options, but I hate not having them

BTLonROCKFORD
12-08-2008, 03:11 AM
alpine head unit doesnt play cd's and the pioneer has a 4 volt rca output which will make a huge differance

Bass Addict
12-08-2008, 10:21 AM
gotta love those 4 volt preout HU 's :)

xxBURT0Nxx
12-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Yea, I had a pioneer 6800mp, which I LOVED. Then I got this alpine (A 9885 I think, check the sig) and although I have to admit, it does sound better, and feel ALOT sturdier, and look alot cleaner, I still like the pioneer more. More options, and more features that means more to me. I love the pause and mute on the alpine, great for bassracing, but just not there yet. Display is a little dissapointing, not as crisp as the pio, and no where near the amount of display features (really miss the volt meter). Biggest dissapointment of this alpine is that it has a 2-band eq. Has low, and highs. Gotta spend another $200 for the spectrum analizer, which is bullshit, to unlock the other options................

Next hu will NOT be an alpine/pioneer. Eclipse, jvc, or kenwood

Edit:
And, the pioneer had hpf/lpf filters for all three sets of rca's (active capable), where this alpine just has hpf for the front, and thats it (no lpf for substage...). Which is a HUGE factor for me. I'll be honest, it still sounds as good/better than the pioneer did, even with the options, but I hate not having them
If you want all of the features that you just said you didn't have you need to go to the higher end alpine models. Get a cda-9887 and you can do all of that and more for $300 nib. Alpine makes h/u's with those features, you just have to get the right head unit lol.

vandiar2
12-08-2008, 01:12 PM
I love my pioneer. Sounds great IMO. im rocking the p6000ub that has the usb output in the back. can just plug up my 16 gig flash drive and rock out. lots of features, 7 band eq, hpf for your fronts and rears... lpf for your bass. over all great receiver imo

buggsson
12-08-2008, 08:09 PM
alpine head unit doesnt play cd's

Who need CDs??? Not me, going digital all the way (if it works, that is) and good riddance.

ksauers
12-08-2008, 08:28 PM
I have an Alpine 9847 and am thinking of upgrading to the 9886. Just what differance will this newbe hear between 2v to the 4v of the 9886?

scoob8000
12-08-2008, 08:31 PM
I love my Pioneer 7800, but I will never again buy Pioneer anything.

Search about Pioneer problems..

AVX Mike
12-08-2008, 09:21 PM
If you want all of the features that you just said you didn't have you need to go to the higher end alpine models. Get a cda-9887 and you can do all of that and more for $300 nib. Alpine makes h/u's with those features, you just have to get the right head unit lol.

x2 I have two of the alpine 9887, and while I do like them and the features I like my 880prs pioneer better now that I have gotten used to it. More actual tuning features, the imprint on the Alpine is nice, but you can't really tune anything after you use the imprint. I like the ipod interface on the pioneer better and you can set up the pioneer remote to do one push pause and sub control. Both are very good decks. The x991 by kenwood is also a nice deck, but the shop I'm at currently doesn't sell kenwood. I've had many kenwoods in the past though and have no complaints.

xxBURT0Nxx
12-09-2008, 01:10 PM
x2 I have two of the alpine 9887, and while I do like them and the features I like my 880prs pioneer better now that I have gotten used to it. More actual tuning features, the imprint on the Alpine is nice, but you can't really tune anything after you use the imprint. I like the ipod interface on the pioneer better and you can set up the pioneer remote to do one push pause and sub control. Both are very good decks. The x991 by kenwood is also a nice deck, but the shop I'm at currently doesn't sell kenwood. I've had many kenwoods in the past though and have no complaints.

See, I like the 9887 better.... I have one in my car, and I installed an 880 in my Dad's F-150. I think that the iPod is easier to use on the alpine because you can skip through the artists quickly, and I wouldn't use the imprint.... just set all of that stuff yourself that way you can still tune it. The pioneer is still nice, especially considering you get their little "imprint" mic with the deck, but I just hate how pioneer has put all of the controls on one nob, too hard to make it do what i want i guess.