PDA

View Full Version : Sedan/box idea

Redford
07-26-2003, 04:39 AM
I had this idea lately... it'd probably been done before. I've talked about it with a couple of people too. Basically, you remove one or both of the back speakers on the rear deck. Then you build a box according to whatever specs, doesn't matter I guess. But, what makes it different from a normal box/setup is that the port is like a chimney coming out of the box and it goes to the opening of where the speaker(s) used to be. I think this would be a great idea because you wouldn't have to have the seats down to listen to your subs without much distortion and people wouldn't be able to see your system, and the sound would bounce off the back window (which we've noticed to work quite well in hatchbacks).

Does anyone have thier own thoughts about something like this? One guy I talked to suggested using round ports... another guy said it wouldn't work well, without much reasoning though.

MXJMR
07-27-2003, 03:30 AM
Ive never heard or saw anyone do that before, sounds like a decent idea BUT if ur ports r to big or small might not sound too hot. you would have to do some serious calculating unless u want to sacrifice sound quality or loudness.

Trixter
07-28-2003, 10:08 AM
If the ports are made correctly, you shouldn't have a problem. But in a normal ported box, not all your sound comes from the port. If you were to make something like a 4th or 6th order box it would probably sound better.

tobz
11-29-2003, 04:08 PM
Or, just put a normal ported box in your trunk, and remove your back speakers and you're golden. That way you get plenty of bass up front, no "crappy phase messing uppage rear fill" and you can keep your seat back.

Yup, just realized this thread was from 6 years ago. My bad.