PDA

View Full Version : E8 ported box

Alex JB
12-04-2008, 05:54 PM
I finished my box for a single Sundown E8 and got it running last night.
0.62 cu ft (not inc port) slot port tuned to 30Hz
It's down firing and the cone is prob 3" from the floor, it punches ok, but drops smoothly to the longer low notes, much lower than the last install I did, loading off the floor definately helps.
I seem to be getting much more from my latest install like this than my old one and I've gone from a single 15 soundstream SPL160 in a sealed box (that was way too small for it) to a single 8!
I'm just amazed what loading off the floor, porting and tuning a box with an 8" can do.

Thanks to folks here for the info and direction.

My reason for posting is to ask about extending the range of my set up.

I wanted to work with 2 or 3 8's down the road and as I haven't done a ported box before, I built this one first to check the theory out.
It does the lows great, but as expected isn't punching much. My plan is to build a 3 sub box to get the low extension from 1 or 2 8's ported and tuned low and the punch from a single 8 in it's own sealed portion of the box.

I've seen some setups with 3 DD's all in one enclosure and ported. but I'm looking to get low and add punch without going crazy on cost and power.

Is this a stupid idea? :crap:

Supergumby5000
12-04-2008, 05:56 PM
i wouldnt go ported AND sealed. Choose one.

KHARPS
12-04-2008, 05:57 PM
What kind of speakers are in your doors? That's where a lot of the "punch" should be coming from.

Alex JB
12-04-2008, 06:05 PM
JL VR650-CXi 6 1/2" coax in the doors, they are rolled off at about 100Hz via amps crossover.
Maybe I need to let them go a bit lower?
Get some platic pannel rattle with them lower though.

KHARPS
12-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Most people will suggest you fully deaden and seal your doors and use a component set instead of coaxials.

Alex JB
12-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Yep, there's a whole lead of deadening in the doors, sealed them up as best I could and went with the non hardening modeling clay tip someone here suggested.
If I take the over pannels off the doors sound great!

Alex JB
12-05-2008, 11:02 AM
any thoughts on the box idea?

Also, is there eny need to consider the cab air space size?

Rashaddd
12-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Don't mix subs (or enclosure alignments) and have them playing the same frequencies...it'll sound like poopoo

If you must, you'd want to have the third 8 in a pretty small sealed box with a lowpass set around 150-200 and a highpass or subsonic set around the same place your lowpass for the other two subs is. Basically your ported subs crossed playing 60hz and down, the sealed one playing say 60-150

Even then...ur better off just getting some better 'punch' out of your midbass, or finding a driver that's more suited to play higher as well as hit the lows

loud-n-low
12-05-2008, 11:36 AM
I'll take that spl160 off your hands for cheap fyi

Alex JB
12-05-2008, 12:57 PM
I'll take that spl160 off your hands for cheap fyi

Thanks, but it stayed in the trunk of the LS400 I sold back home.

Maybe I'll go to 2 x 8's ported then and think about mids in the rear doors for more punch.

I just bought an amp that bridges to 2 x 225 rms, it would be fine for the E8's and the other 4 channel I have can drive the co-ax up front and mids in the rear.