PDA

View Full Version : Differences in speaker size?

CadillacMatt
12-03-2008, 11:19 PM
So my sub stage is squared away, and now I'm looking at components...

My doors are designed to fit 5 1/4" speakers, but I plan to build a new baffle when I pick out a new set of speakers anyhow (running 2 Kenwood 5 1/4", 35wRMS lol. It *****).

So, what advantages/disadvantages are to be gained when choosing between 4", 5", and 6" speakers? Is it based on the amount of midbass capable with each size? Or strictly aesthetic?

lyttleviet
12-04-2008, 05:03 AM
If its in the same install with the same power and preparation, the bigger the more output. You will get better midbass out of the 6.5" midbass. Get an airsaw and cut the door, it'll be worth it.

HawaiianBassHed
12-08-2008, 02:20 AM
more efficiency, it'll be louder throughout the entire bandwidth... so your vocals will get louder too. what model kenwoods are you running? the dual mags can get louder with good power, pretty much any mids can get louder if you run more power and cross them higher or steeper ;)

CadillacMatt
12-08-2008, 10:43 PM
more efficiency, it'll be louder throughout the entire bandwidth... so your vocals will get louder too. what model kenwoods are you running? the dual mags can get louder with good power, pretty much any mids can get louder if you run more power and cross them higher or steeper ;)

I have the lowest model Kenwoods (They were like $60), 35wRMS, and they are only slightly better than stock.

I am looking to upgrade to something that can reproduce music with more depth and clarity, while still not afraid to get loud.

trinitybrown
12-11-2008, 01:00 AM
Only you can get more amplified sound with big speakers, rest will be same in all sizes, so it depends upon you which size to choose