PDA

View Full Version : Would these 6.5" coaxial be good to run off headunit only?

audioqueso
12-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Sorry, I know you guys answer these type of question a lot. I've been searching and reading a lot, but would like to see if I'm in the right direction.

I'm looking for 6.5" coaxials to go in the factory locations of my 99' Lancer.
No components.
I will put some Second Skin Audio deadening around the speakers, but that's it (already have some)
They will be powered off of a Pioneer headunit with 50x4 rms watts.
No sub.
No amp at all.
$100 max per pair.
Just a simple setup. Headunit and speakers.

I would like something that can play some good bass, and definitely some smooth highs. Music ranges from hip-hop to jazz.

I've seen PG RSD's recommended a bunch, and then hear that Pioneer's Premier D series is a bunch better speaker for the price.

Infinity: I don't care for Infinity. I've had them before, and they need a sub to fill in the lower range.
Pioneer: I've had the Pioneer REV's when they first came out. Good full range speaker, but I don't know what replaced them from what's current now.
Boston Acoustic: I was recommended them for smooth highs, but hear they really need power.
ID, Rainbow: I only read about them with people running off an amp.

So is Pioneer D series the way to go? Any other advice?

Horsemanwill
12-03-2008, 07:10 PM
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=911

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5557

lil more then 100 dollars but both will go good off of headunit power.

joshualittle
12-03-2008, 07:30 PM
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=7325. The image dynamics horseman recommended would be my first choice but I've heard really, really good things about these.

Steveopevo
12-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Boston Acoustics S65RC - these sound good at low amplifications 2-35 watts rms.

your headunit in actuality puts out about 22 watts rms so this should be a good match. $119 retail but you can find them cheaper at one of the online stores.

audioqueso
12-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Horsemanwill,
Sorry, but those speakers are over my budget. I can't really go that much over ($40-50 over is too much).

joshalittle,
Have you personally heard these speakers? I've been searching for people's reviews about them, but can't find anything about them.

Steveopevo,
Do you know what the difference is between the S65 and S65RC? The only difference I see is the spacer ring. I've seen these online for about $70-75 so the price is right, but I also read that Boston Acoustics need power to them. What do you think? Have you run these off of your headunit only? Did you use a sub with them? If you didn't, how was the bass? It's only specs, but they claim only 58Hz freq response.

Steveopevo
12-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Horsemanwill,
Sorry, but those speakers are over my budget. I can't really go that much over ($40-50 over is too much).

joshalittle,
Have you personally heard these speakers? I've been searching for people's reviews about them, but can't find anything about them.

Steveopevo,
Do you know what the difference is between the S65 and S65RC? The only difference I see is the spacer ring. I've seen these online for about $70-75 so the price is right, but I also read that Boston Acoustics need power to them. What do you think? Have you run these off of your headunit only? Did you use a sub with them? If you didn't, how was the bass? It's only specs, but they claim only 58Hz freq response.

I think you're right about the spacer ring being the difference. I've listened to them at audio express on their sound wall and thought they sounded decent for the money. they only require upto 35 watts rms which means they don't really need an external amp to sound good. they are not a loud or very bassy speaker but I like the tonal balance, even mids to highs ratio gives nice sq. but those are my tastes. some people don't like them and don't expect bass from an unamplified 6.5 speaker. here is a link to crutchfield reviews on both, slide window to the right for the review tab:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065S65RC/Boston-Acoustics-S65RC.html?tp=95
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065S65/Boston-Acoustics-S65.html?tp=105

joshualittle
12-04-2008, 04:46 PM
I haven't personally heard the arc audio coaxils but there's someone in this forum that said they had them in one of my threads and he said he loved them. He said they were very detailed and had a decent amount of midbass. That'd be my choice. How bout this if you get them and don't like them I'll buy them from you.

WKD TC
12-04-2008, 04:49 PM
which arc audio coax's?

Steveopevo
12-04-2008, 04:58 PM
arc audio products look pretty snazzy

sqhertz
12-04-2008, 05:18 PM
the new revs = the ts-d's.
i had my set running on my HU for a week or so. they sounded great , but sound MUCH better amped. currently i have them running off 300wrms a piece. and when i did have the other amp , they took 60-80 with no problem.

why not get an amp? www.profileusa.com go with the california series if you do. solid amps on a tight budget.

audioqueso
12-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Well, I'm down to Pioneer D series and Boston Acoustics. I appreciate all the advice. However, I can not listen to any of them over here, so I am going on the number of actual customer reviews. I'll keep searching and see if I can hear more about them.

sqhertz,
The reason I don't want an amp is not because of money. It's because I don't want to have an amp in the car. It's just a simple setup. Thank you though.

Steveopevo
12-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Well, I'm down to Pioneer D series and Boston Acoustics. I appreciate all the advice. However, I can not listen to any of them over here, so I am going on the number of actual customer reviews. I'll keep searching and see if I can hear more about them.

sqhertz,
The reason I don't want an amp is not because of money. It's because I don't want to have an amp in the car. It's just a simple setup. Thank you though.

If you want bass go with the pioneers, but the bostons will have better highs.

audioqueso
12-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Steveopevo,

Do the feel the Bostons don't have enough bass on their own? I had the original REVs when they first came out in a Durango. They had plenty of bass on their own, but that was like 7 years ago. I don't really rememeber. Any other aftermarket speaker that I've own has always been accompanied by a sub. My point is, I don't really know if 58Hz is deep enough bass because I've never given ANY aftermarket speaker a chance to play that low except the Pioneer REV's I had years ago. Does that make sense? So I'm asking if a speaker that is claimed to have a range go as low as 58Hz, is that deep enough to enjoy music in a car?

Steveopevo
12-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Steveopevo,

Do the feel the Bostons don't have enough bass on their own? I had the original REVs when they first came out in a Durango. They had plenty of bass on their own, but that was like 7 years ago. I don't really rememeber. Any other aftermarket speaker that I've own has always been accompanied by a sub. My point is, I don't really know if 58Hz is deep enough bass because I've never given ANY aftermarket speaker a chance to play that low except the Pioneer REV's I had years ago. Does that make sense? So I'm asking if a speaker that is claimed to have a range go as low as 58Hz, is that deep enough to enjoy music in a car?

they have moderate bass on their own but personally I don't like hearing anything below 80hz coming out of a mid woofer because it can end up sounding muddy. my point with the bostons was that some people who buy them expected them kick a little harder than they do. but they are a clean crisp sounding speaker. I'm buying some boston sx85's along with a subwoofer in the trunk for my taurus but If I wasn't going to use a subwoofer I would buy another brand that had more bass. So if bass is important to you and since you don't want to run a subwoofer then you should go with the pioneers.

audioqueso
12-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Well, I'm not a bass head, but I do like listening to hip-hop and rock in the car alot. So... enough bass to play some hip-hop or rock music at enjoyable levels.