PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter Amplification requirements for active setup

toxic
12-02-2008, 01:21 PM
I am doing an active setup using an Eclipse 7200 hu. I am knew to all this and have been searching but their is SO MUCH out there to digest.

The mids I will be using will be in the 100-150 watts RMS range.

Do the tweeters need to be the same power handling range and recieve the same amplification?

I am thinking silk dome tweeters because I want something that is not real harsh or piercing.

Comments?

speedfreak28
12-02-2008, 01:23 PM
You can have a nice set of tweeters running from 50-100 watts that would sound great active. What tweeters do you plan on running?

lincolntc690
12-02-2008, 01:25 PM
not in my opinion you dont, i think it was lightning audio that sold an amp w/ staggered power.
ex. 100wrms to the rear (mids) 75wrms to the front (tweets)i use around 75% of what i give my mids for the tweets

KyleBechtold
12-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Disclaimer!!

sorry for being a retard... But what does running active mean?

king ranch
12-02-2008, 01:41 PM
not using a xover in a comp set setting your own crossover point

UCF52
12-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Depends on the tweeter. Check out it's efficiency. Headroom is always nice (keep the noise floor down).

FoxPro5
12-02-2008, 01:54 PM
20-30 watts = screaming loud to the point of pain. Think about how much the voice coil moves, how large the diameter of the dome/diaphragm is on a tweeter, and how little of the audible frequency range they play.

dragnix
12-02-2008, 01:55 PM
50watts is good enough

IDSkoT
12-02-2008, 02:01 PM
20-30 watts = screaming loud to the point of pain. Think about how much the voice coil moves, how large the diameter of the dome/diaphragm is on a tweeter, and how little of the audible frequency range they play.

x2

Tweeters don't need as much power to run. The thought of 75 watts on a tweeter hurts my ears.

FoxPro5
12-02-2008, 02:06 PM
x2

Tweeters don't need as much power to run. The thought of 75 watts on a tweeter hurts my ears.

Just because you have 75 potentially available, doesn't mean they will see it. So, you can put 75, 150, 300 watts on the tweeters intelligently and it's not like they'll instantly start on fire. But, the OP asked about requirement, not ideal. Ideal depends on a few things.

When I level matched my tweeters the other day, they were getting about 1v off the amp with the HU at full blast. They're 4 ohm tweeters. Do the math. :)

toxic
12-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys. This info helps. I could not imagine the tweeters needing near the power that the mids do. I am doing a SQ setup.

Thanks again guys!

joshualittle
12-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the thread toxic, it's interesting cause I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I'll be running the eclipse 7200 as well, and the hertz mlk 165 component set as well as the arc audio ks 300.4 amp. I was also thinking about running active but I'm not sure about the longevity of the speakers in an active setup.

FoxPro5
12-03-2008, 12:48 AM
I was also thinking about running active but I'm not sure about the longevity of the speakers in an active setup.

So you take the crossover network and put it before the amplification stage rather than after it and this affects speaker longevity how???

shaneb
12-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Disclaimer!!

sorry for being a retard... But what does running active mean?

Passive is using those little xovers that come with component sets and running your your system Front Rear Sub.
Active is doing the processing of what signals go to what speakers through external equalizers and xovers or through the HU a High Low Mid setup. You also need a amp for each range.
one for highs
one for mids
one for lows
or more.

That's the basic concept. To give control and tuning capabilities to everythng in your system.

Lil Poot
12-03-2008, 12:58 AM
So you take the crossover network and put it before the amplification stage rather than after it and this affects speaker longevity how???

hey, give the guy a break. the people who ask noob questions about going active get much more respect from me than most of the other noobs on this site.

he's making a sincere effort to learn about taking more control over his system and getting the most out of his components.

FoxPro5
12-03-2008, 01:25 AM
hey, give the guy a break. the people who ask noob questions about going active get much more respect from me than most of the other noobs on this site.

he's making a sincere effort to learn about taking more control over his system and getting the most out of his components.

What? What do you mean give him a break? I wasn't giving him a hard time, I was just trying to see where he's coming from. I think it's maybe natural to fear for the safety of your speakers if you're hooking them directly up to an amp and you've never done that before, but it's unfounded. My point was to re-assure the guy that something like that shouldn't be feared at all; but at the same time, help him understand why. 'Tis a process, this learning stuff. ;)

Megalomaniac
12-03-2008, 09:21 AM
You can have a nice set of tweeters running from 50-100 watts that would sound great active. What tweeters do you plan on running?

are you kidding me? :rolleyes:

you shouldnt need more than 30 watts tops

James Bang
12-03-2008, 02:24 PM

dont' roll your eyes at me young lady!

Megalomaniac
12-03-2008, 02:35 PM
dont' roll your eyes at me young lady!

I can roll my eyes all I want you single-digit-watter-horn user

dragnix
12-03-2008, 02:36 PM

oh snap

James Bang
12-03-2008, 03:45 PM
sorry, i'm horny.

toxic
12-03-2008, 07:18 PM
That's funny....

I took the door panels off today to start on my sound deading. Also to determine speaker size and I believe 6.5 is good to go. I have the urge to do low mid's, mids and tweeters but I will save that for later till I can pull this off succesfully.

I am going to use a speaker baffle to install the speakers in. Would it help if I glassed in the back of the baffle to make it like a "box" ???

I have a bit of experience in custom body work and fabrication , so the glassing etc is the easy part for me.

I am looking at Morels, Dynaudio, and some Focal. Still researching those mids.

I do not understand the longevity concern in an active setup as long as everything is done right???

I also have a "small" degree in EE... Been a long time since I have played with this stuff, but I really enjoy it!

joshualittle
12-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Yea you'd be more than happy with any of those choices in components, I would also recommend looking at hertz as they have some quality speakers. What's your budget for speakers?

toxic
12-03-2008, 08:44 PM
No real budget. I work an insane amount of hours, and I do ALLLLL my own work.
Usually by the time I get one item installed, I have worked out the money for whatever I want next. So just taking it one item at a time.

Buiding these and keeping my own rig going is what takes up ANY spare time I have left...

www.hardlineoffroad.com

JimJ
12-03-2008, 11:36 PM

You rang?

:p:

I remember when we got my friend's Altec biflexes uncrated and playing...took half a watt to get to the point of pain, and those went down to upper midrange, as well :)

redcalimp5
12-04-2008, 03:08 AM

I've got 75x2 going to my tweeters....although, the gain is turned down to about 2.5v. :cool:

Megalomaniac
12-04-2008, 03:20 PM
I've got 75x2 going to my tweeters....although, the gain is turned down to about 2.5v. :cool:

so that means you dont have 75 going to your tweeters

NoSq
12-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Just a quick question guys. So it would be ideal to run two four channel amps if im running 4 tweeters and 4 6.5s to run active? What powered crossovers do you guys usually run?

okiedokie
12-07-2008, 06:47 PM
If your'e running a 4channnel amps you'll only need 2 of the channels for tweeters & 2 channels for the mids, unless your'e going to run front 7 rear speakers then you'll need two amps

HawaiianBassHed
12-08-2008, 01:43 AM
If your'e running a 4channnel amps you'll only need 2 of the channels for tweeters & 2 channels for the mids, unless your'e going to run front 7 rear speakers then you'll need two amps

unless he wants to run a specific ohm load on his amps and already has the speakers which can't parallel to give him the load. and he doesn't want to series wire them as it'll throw the phase/timing way too far out..

NoSq
12-08-2008, 08:07 PM
sorry to sound like a noob but, if i have my four tweeters to two channels and my door speakers to two channels. Wouldnt i need a crossover that has highs, mids , and lows? All i seem to find are front, rear, and sub. I would need to find a cross over that has a higher highpass for the tweets. Could you guys help me out?

TurdFergueson2
12-08-2008, 08:17 PM
sorry to sound like a noob but, if i have my four tweeters to two channels and my door speakers to two channels. Wouldnt i need a crossover that has highs, mids , and lows? All i seem to find are front, rear, and sub. I would need to find a cross over that has a higher highpass for the tweets. Could you guys help me out?

This thread is in regards to an active setup. the OP is using his head unit as the crossovers. But I believe what you are referring to is a 3 way crossover. Clarion makes one of those.

NoSq
12-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Wouldnt you need a way higher high pass filter for the highs than the mids? You wouldnt want to have the same high pass would you? The active crossovers i find have the same problem. Im just not really understanding.

boardroomjimmy
12-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Wouldnt you need a way higher high pass filter for the highs than the mids? You wouldnt want to have the same high pass would you? The active crossovers i find have the same problem. Im just not really understanding.

Yes, what you can do is cross over the mids where you would like and then use a small cap for the tweets to further curtail the freq. they recieve. Run the tweets off the feed for the mids. easy. Fyi, my prs 720's sound better through the passive x-overs, I'm sure if I spent a week fiddleing with them I could gain another 1% goin active, but why. Pioneer worked awful hard on those passive networks, who am I to argue with them.