PDA

View Full Version : coincidence or not? drivers door tweeter.......

Supergumby5000
12-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Long story short, the last frontstage i had in my car waas polk MMC6500's powered by a kicker ZX350.2. Two days after having these installed, the drivers door tweeter blew without warning, whereas the two mids and other tweeter lasted a year on the same power/abuse (yeah, i had a blown tweeter for a long time)

with my new install, i have pioneer premier components on a hifonics 2ch amp. I noticed today that my drivers door tweeter is now showing signs of static noise and a loss of output, whereas the passenger side door tweeter sounds great and is taking the same amount of abuse..........

I am currently pushing about 75RMS to them (rated for 60, but reviews have them taking 100+RMS). I do see that this could be the cause, but the passenger door tweeter is taking the power like a champ.

Any ideas here? Am i just unlucky enough to have damaged these tweeters coincidentally or is something messing the tweeter up?

the Karma SS speaker wire i use has a **** thick jacket on it, and im 99.9% positive its not being pinched. The crossovers are in a safe, untouched location......

Im at a loss :confused:

P.rick
12-01-2008, 09:54 PM
are the wires shorting on metal anywhere?

Supergumby5000
12-01-2008, 11:24 PM
interesting results after i played with it for a bit

if i play a CD, the tweeter sounds fine.

If i play my ipod, the tweeter sounds scratchy off and on :rolleyes:

the ipod hookup for my unit is a built in USB adaptor with an ipod thing that plugs into the USB port on the unit, so i dont see how it would be shorting.

I'll have to look for kinks tomorrow.

bigbangtheory
12-02-2008, 01:32 AM
Strange.

I love those componets and also heard many people running 100rms plus more to them.

I will say, I ran 75rms to them and they would go into protection bridged off my amp. So took it back to normal and ran 50rms to them and they were fine. Wouldn't think 25rms would do that, but that was my situation.

Good luck!

Supergumby5000
12-02-2008, 01:59 AM
well i did some searching, and from the sounds of it, the pioneer cable is most likely the culprit (there have been some issues with the pioneer adaptor, and apparently apple makes a nice replacement for it)

Im going to fiddle with the wiring and find out where the problem is this weekend. If i cant fix it, i'll just go buy a new cable i guess :uhoh:

Xprime4
12-02-2008, 08:03 AM
I had the same kind of problem with a auxilary wire back in the day. Sound was loud/quiet, balance and not, only from the move of the mp3. If you aren't experiencing problem with a cd, then try another wire/adapter

btw how do those R sound in your pickup? Just two 12's are loud enough for me in a hatchback, that must be louder as ****

Xprime4
12-02-2008, 08:06 AM
There's enough place so someone could lay down in your bedline and listen to the subs at full tilt and then... become deaf