PDA

View Full Version : What is the biggest Home Audio site (kinda like ca.com) ?

snoopdan
12-01-2008, 11:55 AM
What home audio site has just as much traffic as ca.com ? Ive got some questions that i'd like responded to in a reasonable amount of time, which is why I am asking :)

Thanks

rc10mike
12-01-2008, 11:57 AM
avsforum.com

Brian Owens
12-01-2008, 11:58 AM
avsforum.com

x2

GearGuy2001
12-01-2008, 12:00 PM
avsforum.com

x3

snoopdan
12-01-2008, 12:02 PM
ah cool, im headed that way!

DBfan187
12-01-2008, 12:03 PM
n00b

lilmaniac2
12-01-2008, 12:04 PM
avsforum nooblet

Flipx99
12-01-2008, 12:07 PM
avsforum doesn't have a lounge that's any good though.

To be honest, I have spent hours and hours on that site and only made a few posts about my personal thoughts on something. Anything technical has already been asked and explained in good detail.

tcguy85
12-01-2008, 12:08 PM
avsforum. they have everything from tv's to audio to video gaming. they gots it all!

JimJ
12-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Except good two-channel topics...unless that's changed.

Seemed like nobody there was really into high-end stereo, it was all HT-talk.

Flipx99
12-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Except good two-channel topics...unless that's changed.

Seemed like nobody there was really into high-end stereo, it was all HT-talk.

audio-video science = HT

IMO.

JimJ
12-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Audio Asylum is a much better place for dedicated stereo, although their board software is definitely outdated.

They have a Planar subforum, which might interest you with the Maggies...lots of Maggie owners there.

blazeplacid
12-01-2008, 12:23 PM
i dont know if anyone has mentioned but avsforum.com

also, does FI have a website?

No really though, AVS is more high end stuff...kinda snobbish at times......I guess kinda how we are when people ask about $40 sony subs

snoopdan
12-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Yeah Jim nailed it on the head since im about to purchase some older Maggies.

I just want to be sure im getting a good deal on em, and I know Jim you say im getting one but I just wanna make sure...doesnt hurt to research.

JimJ
12-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Just stay out of Cables/Tweaks if you don't want a headache...I warned you...:D

Flipx99
12-01-2008, 12:31 PM
At least you have an idea where you want to go...I am still questioning the supernice 2.1 vs. regular 5.1.

snoopdan
12-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Well I have a sort of probably antiquated and blunt idea for my home theater

The Magnepans for highs, and a Mach 5 SPL 12 for lows tuned to 35 hz

Powering them will be a pair of Adcom 555's.....

James Bang
12-01-2008, 12:35 PM
i wouldn't want to visit a ca.com equivalent home audio forum..

JimJ
12-01-2008, 12:35 PM
At least you have an idea where you want to go...I am still questioning the supernice 2.1 vs. regular 5.1.

Some day I'd like to do the supernice 5.1...I'm not anti-surround, I'm just anti-compromise...:) When I get the room that I can actually do treatments for, not just a tiny apartment, and actually afford to build 5 of the speakers I'd want, then I'd do a surround setup.

JimJ
12-01-2008, 12:37 PM
i wouldn't want to visit a ca.com equivalent home audio forum..

My thoughts exactly :D

snoopdan
12-01-2008, 12:40 PM
My thoughts exactly :D

What? I could definately see King Ranch trolling the AVS forum :)

Flipx99
12-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Some day I'd like to do the supernice 5.1...I'm not anti-surround, I'm just anti-compromise...:) When I get the room that I can actually do treatments for, not just a tiny apartment, and actually afford to build 5 of the speakers I'd want, then I'd do a surround setup.

I have the house.

The problem I have with building is homogeneity. I don't think I can produce 2 (or more) of something exactly alike. I did build my own sub and it was definitely worth it. More proud of that than most anything I have ever built. Even my friends says it's quite nice for being built by hand.

I am considering going 2.1 and upgrading as I can. Although then I get into brand issues. I'd hate to buy "x" and then it get discontinued then I am stuck....therefore incrementally doing this won't work.

JimJ
12-01-2008, 12:52 PM
I am considering going 2.1 and upgrading as I can. Although then I get into brand issues. I'd hate to buy "x" and then it get discontinued then I am stuck....therefore incrementally doing this won't work.

The thing about stereo is that it's already obsolete, so worrying about what latest HDMI-whatever will come in two months isn't needed :)

snoopdan
12-01-2008, 12:53 PM
The thing about stereo is that it's already obsolete, so worrying about what latest HDMI-whatever will come in two months isn't needed :)

....which is why ive been hesitant to buy an all-in-one decoder, reciever, hdmi switcher...blah blah blah, and just go 2 channel with some old school power behind them. Keep it simple stupid.

Flipx99
12-01-2008, 12:54 PM
That's true....

But stereo for HT is iffy though.

hayden
12-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Audiocircle for 2-channel and "tweakers"

JP

Megalomaniac
12-01-2008, 11:09 PM
http://www.diyaudio.com/

joetama
12-02-2008, 02:15 AM
What I have found with Home Audio forums is they are very clique oriented.

AVS is annoying with all the HT Onkyo, Denon, Paradigm, Klipsch, HTIB etc etc guys.

Home Theater Shack, is meh on a lot of things and I really don't check their anymore.

DiyAudio is alright, if you can dig through all the bad ideas to find the good ones. It is a great place to ask if you have a specific circuit question or need knowledge about something very specific electronics related.

DIY Home Audio, I think I'm the only person that checks that forum.

CA.com Home Audio section, a bunch of yahoos asking about putting car amps in their house even though there have been a 1,000,000 threads on it already. Plus you ahve the hanyacks like Megalomaniac who just cause trouble. (BTW it takes 5 yahoos to equal 1 Hanyack; these are actual terms I use in daily life.) ((BTW J/K Megalo don't want you getting butt hurt or anything.)

Home Theater Guild (HTGuide) - If you don't like B&W, Classe, Rotel you probably should look for another forum. There are a lot of guys who like Emotiva, Parasound, and a few others. But, mainly that is a B&W forum with some nice DIY stuff also found there.

I could continue. Basically you should find a Magnepan forum, but I don't know of any. Maybe Jim does?

Oxycodone
12-02-2008, 02:38 AM
Why can't you just put a sub in a ported box and call it a home theater. Does a 15" sound as loud as in the room as it does in a car? Should I go 18" instead?

joetama
12-02-2008, 02:40 AM
Why can't you just put a sub in a ported box and call it a home theater. Does a 15" sound as loud as in the room as it does in a car? Should I go 18" instead?

What? Relevant post much?

DBfan187
12-02-2008, 08:10 AM
See Dan, it's asking n00bish questions like this, is why you don't have a t-shirt.

:p:

JimJ
12-02-2008, 10:51 AM
What I have found with Home Audio forums is they are very clique oriented.

AVS is annoying with all the HT Onkyo, Denon, Paradigm, Klipsch, HTIB etc etc guys.

Home Theater Shack, is meh on a lot of things and I really don't check their anymore.

DiyAudio is alright, if you can dig through all the bad ideas to find the good ones. It is a great place to ask if you have a specific circuit question or need knowledge about something very specific electronics related.

DIY Home Audio, I think I'm the only person that checks that forum.

CA.com Home Audio section, a bunch of yahoos asking about putting car amps in their house even though there have been a 1,000,000 threads on it already. Plus you ahve the hanyacks like Megalomaniac who just cause trouble. (BTW it takes 5 yahoos to equal 1 Hanyack; these are actual terms I use in daily life.) ((BTW J/K Megalo don't want you getting butt hurt or anything.)

Home Theater Guild (HTGuide) - If you don't like B&W, Classe, Rotel you probably should look for another forum. There are a lot of guys who like Emotiva, Parasound, and a few others. But, mainly that is a B&W forum with some nice DIY stuff also found there.

I could continue. Basically you should find a Magnepan forum, but I don't know of any. Maybe Jim does?

Don't forget AudioKarma - IMO, ruined by a few people who are complete hypocrites...thread after thread of whining about being made into stereotypes by the younger generation, only to...make stereotypes about the younger generation and things they don't know about. Way to go, guys.

Audiocircle is nice, although don't disagree with a manufacturer no matter how outlandish their claims are. If it involves aliens, roll with it.

AudioAsylum's off topic section is punctuated by rabid Australians who never seem to miss an opportunity to critique US politics and never seem to post anything about audio. And of course, there's the early 1990s GUI...

I think that about covers it :) For a Magnepan question, I still think the planar section on AA is what you're after...it was helpful when I had my SMGs.

Megalomaniac
12-02-2008, 11:01 AM

my feelings are hurt, I may have posted in the Home Audio section a handful of times :confused: and when I do ask a question, I like to know why and not just a yay or nay answer along with a recommendation of a better unit rather than to just shun the unit I ask about.

joetama
12-02-2008, 01:55 PM
my feelings are hurt, I may have posted in the Home Audio section a handful of times :confused: and when I do ask a question, I like to know why and not just a yay or nay answer along with a recommendation of a better unit rather than to just shun the unit I ask about.

I said I was just kidding... Jeezzzeee....

Megalomaniac
12-02-2008, 03:47 PM
oh didnt get it , sensed sarcasm but wasnt sure :)