PDA

View Full Version : Gotta make me a box could use lots of help

iwantmorebass
07-24-2003, 01:49 PM
I gonna make a box for my 12 inch sub but i don't know where to start. Well not really i just need to know what i am going to need and how to make the circular hole in the middle. This is going to be my first box but definently not my last. Any help is appreciated.

ss3079
07-24-2003, 03:32 PM
Draw your cutout hole with a big compass, a flower pot that happens to be the right size, string cut to length, or my favourite ... with a framing square.

You can cut it out with a jig saw or a router with a circle cutting jig on there. Demel drills are OK but be very careful and take your time. Take your time with any method to ensure a smooth cut.

- Steve

MXJMR
07-25-2003, 02:55 PM
The best way to cut it would be to use a roto zip, with the circular jig, it cuts perfect circles in like 30 seconds its the best thing i've seen or done to cut out the wholes.

iwantmorebass
07-26-2003, 10:19 AM
what kind of wood should i get? What else am i gonna need?

ss3079
07-26-2003, 02:34 PM
what kind of wood should i get? What else am i gonna need?

3/4" MDF
#8 1 1/2" coarse threaded drywall screws
#8 counter sink drill bit
Liquid Nails
Silicone

Think that covers it ... you can also use some fiberglass resin to coat the inside of the box.

- Steve

B0mberman
07-26-2003, 06:02 PM
Alright, u just gotta make sure u let the silicone cure for at least 12-24 hours cuz if you put the subwoofer in before then, it can get damaged by the chemicals that the silicone releases as it cures.

Also, just remember to use a whole **** load of wood glue or liquid nails what u'd like. And dont' forget to brace ur box. If you're box is goign to be bigger than 1.0 cu ft, then I'd suggest you brace your box just in case of any flex. U could use small 2" x 4" wood pieces and just glue and nail them in on each edge just to get the extra reassurance.

Good luck