PDA

View Full Version : pioneer deh-p800prs questions (auto eq & internal amp)

LoneStarWings
11-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Hi, I've had a p800 for a few days now and really love it, but I have a few questions about its features.

1. When you use the auto eq, obviosly it adjusts the "levels" of each speaker indepdently and modifies the crossover points (at least between the sub and mids), but does it utilize the 18 band graphic eq in any way to help flatten the system's response? If so, is there any way to see what it's doing to the eq?

I usually listen to mine on the "front" setting, and although time alignment is disabled with that one it sounds much better than having the auto-eq off. The only thing it doen't do well is bass management imho....I go in manually after running the auto eq and change the x-over points, slopes, and level for the subwoofer to achieve my desired levels of bass.

2. Is there any way to isolate the internal amp output from the active crossovers?

I am using the active crossover to send a signal to a 4 channel amp which runs my front stage (two mids and two tweets), however I'm running some inexpensive coaxials in the back for rear fill. I leave this off most of the time, but right now the amplifier output is affected by the crossover, therefore my rear fill is only getting the tweeter signal (3khz and up). Is there anyway to send the rear fill speakers a full range signal from the internal amp while utilizing the active crossover in my setup?

Thanks for the help,

LSW

UCF52
11-30-2008, 07:56 PM
1. When you use the auto eq, obviosly it adjusts the "levels" of each speaker indepdently and modifies the crossover points (at least between the sub and mids), but does it utilize the 18 band graphic eq in any way to help flatten the system's response? If so, is there any way to see what it's doing to the eq?

Yes, it adjusts the EQ (16 band l/r graphic, BTW). You should be able to scroll through the "audio" menu and find the EQ adjustments it made in one of the two "EQ" pages.

I usually listen to mine on the "front" setting, and although time alignment is disabled with that one it sounds much better than having the auto-eq off. The only thing it doen't do well is bass management imho....I go in manually after running the auto eq and change the x-over points, slopes, and level for the subwoofer to achieve my desired levels of bass.

Honestly, I would not use the auto feature that is offered. You WILL get much better results going through and adjusting everything yourself. Use pink noise for t/a and level adjustments. I used music for phase adjustments. Remember, on the 880/800 you can hold down the multi-function knob to isolate left and right.

2. Is there any way to isolate the internal amp output from the active crossovers?

I am using the active crossover to send a signal to a 4 channel amp which runs my front stage (two mids and two tweets), however I'm running some inexpensive coaxials in the back for rear fill. I leave this off most of the time, but right now the amplifier output is affected by the crossover, therefore my rear fill is only getting the tweeter signal (3khz and up). Is there anyway to send the rear fill speakers a full range signal from the internal amp while utilizing the active crossover in my setup?

Nope. I would shut the internal amp off as well - reduce some heat.

LoneStarWings
11-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Yes, it adjusts the EQ (16 band l/r graphic, BTW). You should be able to scroll through the "audio" menu and find the EQ adjustments it made in one of the two "EQ" pages.

Honestly, I would not use the auto feature that is offered. You WILL get much better results going through and adjusting everything yourself. Use pink noise for t/a and level adjustments. I used music for phase adjustments. Remember, on the 880/800 you can hold down the multi-function knob to isolate left and right.

Nope. I would shut the internal amp off as well - reduce some heat.

Thanks for the answers; kinda ***** about the internal amp/crossover situation, but I'd only use it when I was carrying backseat passengers anyway, which isn't too often, so no biggie.