PDA

View Full Version : Polyfill in a Ported Box???

mackallmike
11-29-2008, 10:13 PM
do any of you guys put polyfill in a ported box?????

DonH
11-30-2008, 03:55 AM
my impression was polyfill was for smaller boxes so the sub thinks the box is bigger

shaneb
11-30-2008, 04:01 AM
polyfill typically is used in sealed enclosures and though I don't understnad the science behind it, it is to "trick" the sub into reacting as though the box is larger. But even with a sealed box built to spec, it is helpful. At least with mine it was helpful. I imagine with a ported you could use something else on the inside to add dampening. Maybe a foam padding of some sort on the walls. But it seems that the poly would blow out?
Now with your question answered. May I jack the thread for a moment? Would someone please explain to me how dampening your box makes the sub think it is larger? it seems backwards to me..

Stephen_c
11-30-2008, 04:03 AM
wouldent you have to glue it down? and wouldent it just make noise

slam
11-30-2008, 04:04 AM
it makes things hot too

GAM3OVR
11-30-2008, 04:04 AM
you cAn place a grill over the port :fyi:

kovemaster559
11-30-2008, 04:10 AM
chocking sub ftw

KyleBechtold
11-30-2008, 04:10 AM
alright.. we will go down the line.. Yes you can add polyfill acustafil w/e you are using.. in a ported box.. You staple it down so it doesn't blow around.. Now then the science behind it is it slows the waves from hitting the box down and makes it think its bigger as it won't stop the waves it will not do the reverse.. also it helps break standing waves.. as for the grill over the port.. tisk tisk.. if thats how you want to hold in the polyfill what do you think it will do when it covers the grill? MAKE SURE!!!! MAKE SURE!!! you don't put any on the top of the box..(if it falls in the sub while going it may end badly.. staple/glue down the polyfill well.. dont need it bouncing out..

kovemaster559
11-30-2008, 04:15 AM
why would you do ported with fill. just go sealed. yeah sealed ***** but i like the sound if set up right.

HypnoticCure
11-30-2008, 04:39 AM
why would you do ported with fill. just go sealed. yeah sealed ***** but i like the sound if set up right.

your a retard... thought you might wanna know this...

kovemaster559
11-30-2008, 04:43 AM

whats your point. serious why would you do poly fill. if your going ported make sure you have the space. it makes you a tard when you dont have the space, POLY and port = destine FIAL.

slam
11-30-2008, 04:46 AM

u call him retard and say
your a retard
buhahahahahaha you're the retard