PDA

View Full Version : Need speaker recommendations... I may do away with subwoofers :/

Jameseypoo
11-28-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm looking at selling all of my speakers/subwoofers/amps and starting over. I'm looking for some 6.5's that have a full range and sound good no matter what you throw at them. I know this is a very noob post.. but I've always had subwoofers and I want to get rid of them and just run coaxials. Any suggestions?

joshualittle
11-29-2008, 12:01 AM
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6201. Here's a set of image dynamics.

joshualittle
11-29-2008, 12:02 AM
What's your budget?

Jameseypoo
11-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Oh I dunno, I suppose I'd probably just be willing to trade my stuff for someone else's. I have 2 Diamond Audio 12" d6's, ppi a404 art series amp, infinity 1300 watt amp, and some infinity reference coaxials

Horsemanwill
11-29-2008, 12:14 AM
wat u want for taht a404

Jameseypoo
11-29-2008, 12:18 AM
I'm not sure yet.. I'm just trying to get some ideas for right now if I want to do this.

Do components really sound THAT much better than coaxials? Anybody?

Horsemanwill
11-29-2008, 12:21 AM
depending on the coax your running. comps are better in the fact that they give you wider range for installation options where coaxs don't i've seen some coax's that sound better then comps though. my advice DON'T SELL THE A404!!! keep that B**** and use it for ur comps or coax's i've ran 16 speakers of one of those amps.

WhoSayWho?
11-29-2008, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure yet.. I'm just trying to get some ideas for right now if I want to do this.

Do components really sound THAT much better than coaxials? Anybody?

Hard to say, I never ran a decent set of coaxils that were amped. I bet most others have not either. I will say that I have heard some Memphis coaxils and some Focal coaxils on soundboards that sounded good. But then again, I have never put too much weight on soundboards.

dman4486
11-29-2008, 12:24 AM
if you don't care about imaging, then a coax will produce the same output.....

Jameseypoo
11-29-2008, 12:33 AM
Hard to say, I never ran a decent set of coaxils that were amped. I bet most others have not either. I will say that I have heard some Memphis coaxils and some Focal coaxils on soundboards that sounded good. But then again, I have never put too much weight on soundboards.

Same. I just dunno what to do. Maybe I should just start doing homework and forget my all of this nonsense. And by homework I mean drinking.

Louisiana_CRX
11-29-2008, 12:34 AM
try some Critical Mass RS series if you want a quality coaxial speaker....

Jameseypoo
11-29-2008, 12:34 AM
if you don't care about imaging, then a coax will produce the same output.....

So you're saying that no audible difference will be noticed?

dman4486
11-29-2008, 12:36 AM
So you're saying that no audible difference will be noticed?

really depends on what coax you choose....just like everything else in CA

but the image will become very flat

Jameseypoo
11-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Hrmmm. Have you ran them before? Do they get loud while sounding clean?

Horsemanwill
11-29-2008, 12:39 AM
for that you need to run ID lol jk

dman4486
11-29-2008, 12:42 AM
Hrmmm. Have you ran them before? Do they get loud while sounding clean?

I am overpowering a pair of lower end arc audio 4" ATM and they are quite impressive.....decent mids, but I have the xover set ~125hz and the HPF on the amp is ~100hz so the "midbass" is not so great.

i don't think they could handle much lower frequencies than they do, but with everything except the kick drum they keep up (output and quality) very well.

dman4486
11-29-2008, 12:44 AM
^^^^^ and I have the volume knob pegged almost all the time when I drive that auto. and they are receiving clean power

Jameseypoo
11-29-2008, 12:46 AM
Aye :( So it looks like I'm going to need to keep my subs I suppose. I really hate taking up my whole trunk with subs and amps while listening to mediocre coaxials...

I just want something that bumps somewhat and having an empty trunk. I'd be willing to trade my subs, coaxials, and both amps that i have for a great quality amp and coaxials. I don't think that's possible though. The sound I want doesn't match the equipment I want

Horsemanwill
11-29-2008, 12:48 AM
that's usually always the case. y not take it down to one 12 that will work in a small enclosure and get you a set of comps instead of coax's

dman4486
11-29-2008, 12:49 AM
you could go the route of larger door speakers....like a 4" coax and an 8" comp woofer both in the door

JimJ
11-29-2008, 12:49 AM
I'm looking at selling all of my speakers/subwoofers/amps and starting over. I'm looking for some 6.5's that have a full range and sound good no matter what you throw at them. I know this is a very noob post.. but I've always had subwoofers and I want to get rid of them and just run coaxials. Any suggestions?

The problem with coaxial speakers in a car audio application is that having the tweet and midrange/midbass together may not always be the ideal location. To get a realistic sound stage, it may very well take relocating the tweet somewhere else, such as the A-pillar.

I've heard 5.25" midbasses extend low enough to be subless, but it does take a fair amount of install skill (and in some cases, vehicle modification). I'd have to recommend Hybrid Audio L6's or Scanspeak Revelators if you're after true subless performance...they've both impressed me so far :)

Jameseypoo
11-29-2008, 12:50 AM
that's usually always the case. y not take it down to one 12 that will work in a small enclosure and get you a set of comps instead of coax's

I just really want to get away from having subwoofers in my trunk. It rattles my sheit and my 16 year old car can't take much more

Horsemanwill
11-29-2008, 12:53 AM
you coujld take it down to a single 8 that way you have a lil umph

Jameseypoo
The problem with coaxial speakers in a car audio application is that having the tweet and midrange/midbass together may not always be the ideal location. To get a realistic sound stage, it may very well take relocating the tweet somewhere else, such as the A-pillar.

I've heard 5.25" midbasses extend low enough to be subless, but it does take a fair amount of install skill (and in some cases, vehicle modification). I'd have to recommend Hybrid Audio L6's or Scanspeak Revelators if you're after true subless performance...they've both impressed me so far :)

Now this is some good news. Lucky for me, my A-pillars have stock tweeter locations on them already. When you heard these speakers you referred, were they in some sort of molded/fiberglass enclosure or were they just in the stock speaker location of the vehicle?

dman4486
or maybe a rear deck setup??? I don't know much about your auto

brian84corvette
11-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Same. I just dunno what to do. Maybe I should just start doing homework and forget my all of this nonsense. And by homework I mean drinking.

I like the way you think !

love doing my homework too !!!!

Jameseypoo
you coujld take it down to a single 8 that way you have a lil umph

Lol. I want my trunk to be empty :)

If I have subs I want some mean bass.. but I'm trying to keep it empty in the rear.

Horsemanwill
i'm talkin about runnin it off ur rear deck

Jameseypoo
11-29-2008, 12:58 AM
i'm talkin about runnin it off ur rear deck

That's way more modification than I have time for. Also, I just don't have the tools to do it. That is a good idea though..

JimJ
11-29-2008, 12:58 AM
Now this is some good news. Lucky for me, my A-pillars have stock tweeter locations on them already. When you heard these speakers you referred, were they in some sort of molded/fiberglass enclosure or were they just in the stock speaker location of the vehicle?

Stock door locations can work, but it'll take a fair amount of deadening to cure all the rattles that'll come out :D

I've heard setups that really don't require any subs and use kickpod-mounted midranges and door-mounted midbasses, but it does take a lot of work and deadening material to track down all those rattles that you will find :(

Jameseypoo
11-29-2008, 01:01 AM
Stock door locations can work, but it'll take a fair amount of deadening to cure all the rattles that'll come out :D

I've heard setups that really don't require any subs and use kickpod-mounted midranges and door-mounted midbasses, but it does take a lot of work and deadening material to track down all those rattles that you will find :(

Deadening should be fairly easy since none of my speakers are in the doors. Alright, well it looks like I have lots of research to do. Thank you all for your help

Jameseypoo
11-29-2008, 01:03 AM
**** son

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCANSPEAK-D2904-9800-TWEETERS-MINT-IN-BOX-TWO-2_W0QQitemZ230309164555QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers _Subwoofers?hash=item230309164555&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

bigbangtheory
11-29-2008, 11:59 AM
If you get rid of the subs and still want decent output from the front door location, then hit up some ID OEMS, a nice tweeter and get an active cable deck or processor and go active with them. Make sure to deaden the **** out of your door and cover all the holes with some sheet metal and deaden over that. Probably will need to make some baffles and maybe add some clay to them. Takes a liitle patience to do this, but in the end will sound awesome and should get some great mid-bass response from it.

bigbangtheory
11-29-2008, 12:00 PM
**** I was late, lol!

Jameseypoo
11-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Do you have a link? I couldn't find them on the image dynamics site