PDA

View Full Version : Please help, someone. One speaker louder and has more midbass than other

musiqlover
11-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Hey guys,

I hope someone out there can help me out here. I just installed my new components, sound deadened on each side and noticed my right speaker is noticeably louder and has much more midbass than my left.

I am using a PG 4 chanel amp. I am not familiar with the terminology in wiring so I will try to explain what I did. My rear speakers are not installed, just my fronts. I wired the left speaker to the front two channels, with the + going into the + of the left front channel on the amp, and the - of the speaker going to the - of the right front channel. I did the same with the right speaker but instead wired to the rear channels on the amp.

We had to play around with the RCA for a bit before we got both speakers to play at the same time. Once we did, however, I noticed the problem with the right overpowering the left. Just to see what happens, we wired the right speaker to the front channels and the left speaker to the rear channels. This time the left speaker was louder and had more midbass.

What could be the issue here? As far as we know, our wiring is correct. My goal was to bridge a 4 channel amp to a 2 channel so I can get the maximum juice out of both speakers, but, so far I only see one speaker performing the way it's supposed to. Please someone help me out here.

endofdays89
11-28-2008, 09:11 PM
does your amp show you were to bridge it at on above or below the terminals, if so, do it that way. And make sure your gains are set correct for both channels.

snb778
11-28-2008, 09:15 PM
you probably wired one of the speakers out of phase... easy fix

musiqlover
11-28-2008, 09:26 PM
I want to first thank you guys for the quick responses.

does your amp show you were to bridge it at on above or below the terminals, if so, do it that way. And make sure your gains are set correct for both channels.

The gains set for both speakers are set exactly the same. And under the rear channels it says " + Bridged - " It does not say bridged over the front channels though. I'm assuming that "Bridged" is referring to both the front and the rears. Also, we wired it exactly where they wanted us to.

musiqlover
11-28-2008, 09:29 PM
you probably wired one of the speakers out of phase... easy fix

I just reversed the + and - for the front channels and it made no difference in sound quality.

I don't know what else could be the problem.

endofdays89
11-28-2008, 09:31 PM
I want to first thank you guys for the quick responses.

The gains set for both speakers are set exactly the same. And under the rear channels it says " + Bridged - " It does not say bridged over the front channels though. I'm assuming that "Bridged" is referring to both the front and the rears. Also, we wired it exactly where they wanted us to.

maybe take your speakers out and see if they are wired correctly

have you actually checked that or just the wires connected to the amp?

musiqlover
11-28-2008, 09:35 PM
maybe take your speakers out and see if they are wired correctly

have you actually checked that or just the wires connected to the amp?

Yea, in fact we just opened the left door and checked the wiring again. We will go for a triple check if necessary, but, we're pretty sure that's not it.

snb778
11-28-2008, 09:36 PM
I just reversed the + and - for the front channels and it made no difference in sound quality.

I don't know what else could be the problem.

might have been wired wrong at the amp

gotta be a wiring issue....(most likely)..

also make sure your HPF and LPF switches are in the correct position's on the amp

musiqlover
11-28-2008, 09:47 PM

also make sure your HPF and LPF switches are in the correct position's on the amp

Yea, it's driving me insane though. We've tried our best to be organized throughout the entire wiring process because we didn't want to have to go through this all over again. Both speakers are set on HPF.

endofdays89
11-28-2008, 09:49 PM

x2, gotta be a wiring issue

musiqlover
11-28-2008, 09:59 PM
My buddy that I'm working with right now is saying that the rear channel can simply put out more than the front channels hence the difference in sound. Is this possible here? Can we wire the + from the left speaker to the left front + on the amp and the - from the left speaker to the left rear - on the amp and connect a short wire between the left front - on the amp and left rear + on the amp.

snb778
11-28-2008, 09:59 PM
move some switches around on your 4ch. amp... thats what happened to me... one speaker was soundin like crap... i figured it had to be a wiring issue, but I guess i accidentally moved a switch on the amp... don't remember which one though

grab a small 9V battery, take the wires outta the amp and pop the speakers, make sure they go out

endofdays89
11-28-2008, 10:02 PM
i have my comps wired the same way you do to a 4 channel amp, are you using rca y adapters cuz i think you need those for 4 channel amps when bridging to 2 channels

musiqlover
11-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Nope, I'm not using the Y adaptors for the RCA. I guess I should look into it. I'm up for anything at this point.

musiqlover
11-28-2008, 11:52 PM
We got the Y adapter. Tried it out just now and it didn't work. We tried various possibilities. I have no idea. I'm gonna give it another go tomorrow or something.

dftnz7
11-29-2008, 12:11 PM
There is clearly a problem with level matching. Perhaps the rear channels have more output as mentioned above and it is simply going to be an issue of level matching your gains to get the same output at a given volume level.