PDA

View Full Version : trust home depot???

jfink
11-28-2008, 06:22 PM
getting ready to start a new box tomorrow(hopefully, weather is looking against me:() but my widest cut is 26 1/4" and my table saw only goes to 24" and was thinking of having home depot cutting the 4'x8' section down the 8' length splitting it so i have a 26 1/4"x8' section. would this be wise to trust them to do this?

hatemonger
11-28-2008, 06:24 PM
getting ready to start a new box tomorrow(hopefully, weather is looking against me:() but my widest cut is 26 1/4" and my table saw only goes to 24" and was thinking of having home depot cutting the 4'x8' section down the 8' length splitting it so i have a 26 1/4"x8' section. would this be wise to trust them to do this?

it's a crapshoot. if you get a 55 year old man with a beard, you'll probably be fine.

bdawson72
11-28-2008, 06:25 PM
I wouldnt do it.

I worked at lowes and I can honestly say that we dont give as **** what happens w/ our cuts.

jfink
11-28-2008, 06:27 PM
do i have to pay for it first?? if not i'll bring a tape measurer up there and make them do it again if they mess up , but then again my grandfather works up at the local one maybe he can find someone that would give a ***** about the cuts.

SubNit
11-28-2008, 06:28 PM
x2 on getting an experienced employee who knows how to work their equipment.

As a fail safe, bring your own measuring tape and measure it out *right* after he makes the cut. If it's not right then he is required to do it again until it's to your specifications. I've been fortunate engough that I've not had to do this, as the worker who made the cut's was very enthusiastic about helping me build a subwoofer enclosure:)

Good luck and happy building

bdawson72
I'm pretty sure that you just pay afterwards.

Lingerfelt
I had the wood for my first box cut at Home Depot. I found a younger kid, explained what it was for, offered to tip him / do whatever it took to make sure the cuts were on.

He declined the tip, but my cuts were perfect. Ended up not even having to pay to have it cut, he told teh worker at the register not to charge me.

bdawson72
11-28-2008, 06:29 PM

As a fail safe, bring your own measuring tape and measure it out *right* after he makes the cut. If it's not right then he is required to do it again until it's to your specifications. I've been fortunate engough that I've not had to do this, as the worker who made the cut's was very enthusiastic about helping me build a subwoofer enclosure:)

Actually most places are not required to do it again. It has to be within an inch or so. And some places do not do project cuts.

jshak07
11-28-2008, 06:34 PM
at the local home depot here they have a sig stating no precise cuts will be made.. had one guy that cut some mdf for me and was perfect... than another guy that fuc**d it all up

jfink
11-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Actually most places are not required to do it again

if all else fails i'll take my business elseware. But last time i was up there,there was an older employee that asked if i needed it to be cut at all, maybe he'll be my enthusiastic employee and do it right. If weather permitting i'll go up there and tell them who my grandfather is and maybe they will do it right.

if that dont work all i have is a circular saw.

jfink
11-28-2008, 06:38 PM
do it yourself or go home.

if i did it myself i would be at home:D

RAM_Designs
11-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Do it youself. You save gas money and the money you'd spend on the cuts, and you'd actually do a better job...not to mention learn a skill that'll help you build boxes.

hatemonger
11-28-2008, 06:40 PM
if all else fails i'll take my business elseware. But last time i was up there,there was an older employee that asked if i needed it to be cut at all, maybe he'll be my enthusiastic employee and do it right. If weather permitting i'll go up there and tell them who my grandfather is and maybe they will do it right.

if that dont work all i have is a circular saw.

you can get it within 1/16 of an inch with a circular saw. might be a better bet. you might get lucky, and get an employee who cares about their job.

jfink
11-28-2008, 06:44 PM
think i'll just go up there and strike up a conversation with the employee/s about there job and see if they love it, if they don't i'll take it home and use the circular saw. i used google sketchup to place all the peices to try and conserve wood and had 1/2" to 3/4" space in between all the peices for room to work with.

hatemonger
11-28-2008, 06:46 PM
you'll only lose the width of the saw blade if you're careful.

scarolinablazin
11-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Do it youself. You save gas money and the money you'd spend on the cuts, and you'd actually do a better job...not to mention learn a skill that'll help you build boxes.

yea, cause it doesn't use gas to go pick up the wood. only costs if you have them cut it.

mr_kebo
11-28-2008, 06:52 PM

At my lowes its posted the panel saw is for ROUGH CUTS only. No precision cuts required.

jfink
11-28-2008, 06:52 PM
you'll only lose the width of the saw blade if you're careful.

second time making a box and its a T-line! gonna take my time and make every peice perfect, just dont wanna buy more than one 4'x8' sheet of MDF.

jfink
11-28-2008, 06:53 PM
yea, cause it doesn't use gas to go pick up the wood. only costs if you have them cut it.

actually not using any gas at all...at least not my gas. Brother has the truck.

SubNit
11-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Hmm seems at though I was wrong in assuming that my home depot was like all the other one's. I guess the criteria for one store is not the same for another, sorry about that assumption.

At any rate talk with the employee's and see if you can't find you one willing to make the precise cut's. If that doesn't work make an inquiry to the manager as to what it takes to get some wood cut from the same place you bought your wood.

Make sure you highlight the fact that this is not a "project", you simply need your sheet of mdf cut into 6 rectangles. Very simple and very straighfoward. You do have to realize that they get all sort's of people asking them to "do this" or "do that". I highly doubt they refuse a job as easy as the one you need done

jfink
11-28-2008, 07:04 PM
all i need are two panels 26 1/4"x25" just two. the rest i can do on the table saw just fine.

hmmmmmm maybe i'll see if there as an attachment for my table saw to extend it out...........na too much money right now.

RAM_Designs
11-28-2008, 07:06 PM

I was under the impression that he already had the wood and just didn't want to cut it himself...

mcsoul
11-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Reverse cuts work too. I will never get my 1/8th" back from lowes.

jfink
11-28-2008, 07:09 PM
I will never get my 1/8th" back from lowes.

^^^^ thats why i asked, i read this somewhere on here and couldn't remember which store did it.

and i have every intentions to cut it myself except these 2 panels, not for sure on the best route, store-take a chance at messing it up but dont have to pay for it or option 2 do it myself take a chance at messing it up and buying another 4'x8' sheet.

Lingerfelt
11-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Reverse cuts work too. I will never get my 1/8th" back from lowes.

Ya, local home depot says cuts will be within 1/8", width of the blade.

hatemonger
11-28-2008, 07:11 PM
second time making a box and its a T-line! gonna take my time and make every peice perfect, just dont wanna buy more than one 4'x8' sheet of MDF.

they are actually 49 inches wide. and 97 long, so there is an extra inch built in.

johndoe1234
11-28-2008, 07:15 PM
I had the guy at my local home depot cut mine and it was some old guy and his cuts were perfect and he didnt charge me
Like many people have said, it depends who you get

Rashaddd
11-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Why not ask them to cut it to 27/28" instead and then cut off the extra yourself?

jfink
11-28-2008, 07:44 PM
ok i'm an idiot! do what rashaddd said but then use the table saw to cut off the 2" on one side and 1 3/4" on the other. Hah my brain still works. :) <----------- i can do that on the table saw

1rockford1
11-28-2008, 07:49 PM
when u gona go up to the store? just look around and go with your gut dont go in there and be like yea i gota get this cut right now. Check out the people see if the guy in the area does any cuts well your there. And mayb ask the guy thats workin in the area some questions to see if u knows what he is doing.

jfink
11-28-2008, 07:52 PM
going up there tomorrow if weather permitting, might rain. but while i'm up there talk to the employee/s in the lumber department and ask them about there job and there opinions on "perfect" cuts.

oh yea patience FTMFW

JamesKarr
11-29-2008, 03:39 AM
Actually most places are not required to do it again. It has to be within an inch or so. And some places do not do project cuts.

Lol are you ****ing kidding me. Within an inch accuracy. I could cut freehand with a butterknife and be more accurate.