PDA

View Full Version : repairing dust caps

M-Town
07-23-2003, 10:58 AM
I have a 10" woofer and some tweeters. These are home theater speakers not car... I couldnt think of a better place to ask...how might i take a dent out of the dust cap without damaging the speaker?

paikiah
07-23-2003, 11:19 AM
all drivers (excluding tweeters) should have a vent at the back. there has been some talk about dented dustcaps.

If the vent does not have a grille, you can simply use the other side of a pencil (with an eraser would be a plus) and push gently to pop the dustcap back out.

Some have even talked about using a very fine thread and poking ahole and lifting. The dustcaps, I don't think think they are THAT important. The driver will still play without problems even if the dustcap got pushed in a tad.

ss3079
07-23-2003, 02:51 PM
I've used a vaccum before ... :)

- Steve

Tat2sink
08-31-2003, 11:40 PM
Any sticky tape will work also.Peace...

Jbarbier
09-21-2003, 03:28 PM
yea vaccuum cleaner, suction cup, sticky tape...all work IF your dustcap is made of something thin. But i had the same prob a while back and i tried everything above and i even POKED a hole with a pin! but my DC is made of very sturdy plastic, so i just took an exacto knife and cut around the DC, then pushed out the dent, and glued it back. its definately not as hard as it seems and if all else fails it might be neccessary if you are concerned with looks