PDA

View Full Version : What should i look for in a remote starter?

kingsxman
11-28-2008, 09:54 AM
My wife wants a remote starter for our van. I am wondering what I should look for when getting one? Any recommendations? I dont want to spend a fortune on it. I'm guessing that range is the most important thing.

mokedaddy
11-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Range is usually a factor. So is reliability. I also happen to like two way as well but on a r/s only I wouldnt see that as a huge deal.

I would stick to something from a reputable shop and you shouldnt have any problems.

SethPhillips
11-28-2008, 12:45 PM
i usually seggest a rem.start/ keyless so that you dont have to key fab's on ur key chain..

range.

allso look into DEI product's like

Python, Clifford, Viper, Avistart, ect.

then depending on the car you need a rem.start bypass..

to get the car to start without the key in the ignition.

THUNDERBIRD
11-28-2008, 05:30 PM
viper 160xv or valet 562t. i install alot of those. avital too. i just hate the wiring on them.

mendon99
11-28-2008, 08:04 PM
viper 160xv or valet 562t. i install alot of those. avital too. i just hate the wiring on them.

hate the wiring on which? I put tons of 160xvs, 561r's and Avital 4000xl's in. The 561r's seem to come back more with range issues than the Avital, even though they're basically the same.

THUNDERBIRD
11-29-2008, 05:55 PM
the avitals. the wiring is basiclly the same but different colors. i will pound out like 30 "normal" units then an avital is thrown in there and it slows me way down. i prefer to do the 562t's because of the 2 remotes.

kingsxman
12-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Range is usually a factor. So is reliability. I also happen to like two way as well but on a r/s only I wouldnt see that as a huge deal.

I would stick to something from a reputable shop and you shouldnt have any problems.

I think 2 way is important since I want to know if it started.

I havent had "too.." many problems with my Compustar.

In checking aroudn though...I cant believe the pricing. Its as much for remote start as it is for a full alarm system....