PDA

View Full Version : Temperature and Humidity?

joetama
11-26-2008, 03:43 PM
I've been having a lot of issues as of late with static electricity, dry skin, sinus issues, bloody nose, etc etc. So out of curiosity I purchased a weather station that reads humidity and temperature. I was shocked when I powered it on and it said my humidity was 3%. Figuring this was a total mistake and it was broke I took the station back, getting a new one and it read 5%. So, I purchased a totally different model pool room humidity gauge and it pegged out at 10% humidity. (Lowest range it would go)

So, I purchased a humidifier to add some moisture back into the air of my apartment. (Aparently it is drier than the Sahara Desert) But, I'm wondering what is an acceptable humidity to have for Home Theater equipment. I know too high is bad for electronics and I'm thinking too low might be bad for wood of loudspeakers and cones. I've read a few sites for comfort they say 35%-40% Would this range also be acceptable for audio equipment? Moreover, what would be better than acceptable?

Thanks for the input.

jco1385
11-26-2008, 03:49 PM
I've been having a lot of issues as of late with static electricity, dry skin, sinus issues, bloody nose, etc etc. So out of curiosity I purchased a weather station that reads humidity and temperature. I was shocked when I powered it on and it said my humidity was 3%. Figuring this was a total mistake and it was broke I took the station back, getting a new one and it read 5%. So, I purchased a totally different model pool room humidity gauge and it pegged out at 10% humidity. (Lowest range it would go)

So, I purchased a humidifier to add some moisture back into the air of my apartment. (Aparently it is drier than the Sahara Desert) But, I'm wondering what is an acceptable humidity to have for Home Theater equipment. I know too high is bad for electronics and I'm thinking too low might be bad for wood of loudspeakers and cones. I've read a few sites for comfort they say 35%-40% Would this range also be acceptable for audio equipment? Moreover, what would be better than acceptable?

Thanks for the input.

congrats on 15k

:yureawsm:

joetama
11-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Oh sweet I didn't even really notice... I saw that I was getting close, but didn't know I hopped the hurdle...

JimJ
11-26-2008, 07:13 PM
I'll ask on AudioAsylum, it's an interesting question...I've never paid it much thought.

joetama
11-26-2008, 09:03 PM
The tank which is supposed to last 48 hours has now been filled twice and my meters are reading 23%.

It actually is easier to breath, the air doesn't feel like sand paper in my nose. :woot:

I'm going to run it to 35% and see what that is like.

JimJ
11-27-2008, 12:03 AM
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=general&m=531374

Seems like you're in the ballpark with 35-40%.

zack39648
11-27-2008, 12:08 AM
dam down here in the south the humidity is 80%+ dam near all year round .... my eletronic equipment works fine ...

edit: its 87% right now!

joetama
12-02-2008, 03:37 AM
Man I need to get some plants or something... This **** humidifier is running 24/7 using 2 tubs of water a day and the humidity is still running low as ****...

I wonder if the wood floor is sucking up all the moisture since it has been dry for so **** long....

ballstothewall
12-02-2008, 04:00 AM
I doubt the wood floor is contributing that much to it really... I think it just mainly has to do with the outside temp being so much colder than the inside.

joetama
12-02-2008, 04:10 AM
I doubt the wood floor is contributing that much to it really... I think it just mainly has to do with the outside temp being so much colder than the inside.

Could be, the humidity outside is 67% however... I guess if you factor in the 20 degree to 72 degree change it makes sense.

ballstothewall
12-02-2008, 04:12 AM
Considering that the amount of water that 20* air can hold vs the amount that 72* air can hold it sounds perfectly logical.

GAM3OVR
12-02-2008, 04:12 AM
I need to buy me a humidifier. I seem to have the same symptoms you have mentioned in OG post.

Denver, is dry as fawk.

joetama
12-02-2008, 04:14 AM
Considering that the amount of water that 20* air can hold vs the amount that 72* air can hold it sounds perfectly logical.

Welcome to Ohio I guess...

I need to buy me a humidifier. I seem to have the same symptoms you have mentioned in OG post.

Denver, is dry as fawk.

Never been there... But, it does seem to help. I've been sleeping a hell of a lot better as well.

jmanpc
12-02-2008, 04:29 AM
I love living in Florida where I can more or less bathe in the air year round.

joetama
12-02-2008, 05:02 AM
I love living in Florida where I can more or less bathe in the air year round.

Bastard.... Humid and hot in the summer dry and cold in the winter... And fall and spring are a nasty mix of both...