PDA

View Full Version : Home Audio Sub

Vipervenom18
11-25-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm putting together a basic stereo set up in my room. Just a 2.1 system for my computer.

I just am finishing up the bad assness that is my HT system in my room, and I have an extra receiver because of it, so I'm just gonna get some bookshelf speakers and a sub to hook up to the receiver/cd player/computer.

Are there any subs out there that are decent and good for audio listening? This won't be for home theater, just to play music 95 percent of the time.

dman4486
11-25-2008, 12:54 PM
do a diy with a plate amp and sub from parts express

fuster
12-03-2008, 01:37 PM
M&K amplified sub woofers are the best out there. Not cheap but they are the best amplified sub woofers for home audio.

WildcatNate
12-03-2008, 03:02 PM
M&K amplified sub woofers are the best out there. Not cheap but they are the best amplified sub woofers for home audio.

while I will say the M&K are quite good, that is a very subjective viewpoint. There are quite a few I would put ahead of M&K personally, but that's just me.

Price range would really help. If you are looking for something fairly inexpensive, get a kit from parts express. Beyond that, maybe a low end Velodyne or eD sub.

If price is not object, I'd got svs or JL. I'm sorry, I've listened to alot of subs and nothing has compared to JL's in my mind. (I also agree the JL is very overpriced for what it is, but for home audio, it is very worth it.) A guy on my block has two Gothams and its amazing.

Scoobydoo
12-03-2008, 03:08 PM
newegg has polk 10" psw series subs for $100 shipped i think

not the greatest, but for $100 shipped a decent deal

WildcatNate
12-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Bestbuy has been having a similar special on theirs. Also, if you are thinking Polk, check Frys.com. They have been having killer specials on Polk products. I picked up some towers for $100 shipped a few months ago for the bedroom tv.

fuster
12-04-2008, 01:22 AM
I don't doubt you like JL subs. I think M&K are better. I suggest any potential buyer listen to both and decide for themselves. Can't resolve it on the ethernet.

WildcatNate
12-04-2008, 10:37 AM
I don't doubt you like JL subs. I think M&K are better. I suggest any potential buyer listen to both and decide for themselves. Can't resolve it on the ethernet.

Hence why I said it was a subjective comment, which if why I gave more than one sub for him to listen to. Most people can't afford a good m&k sub and based on what he said, I'm guessing it would not fit his application.

I've compared m&k's high end subs against JL's Fathoms and it was not even close as far as range and clarity, but both are very very good.

fuster
12-05-2008, 01:30 AM
What home audio system do you own?

bigaudiofanatic
12-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Polk audio psw10 is a great one for something like what you are doing I just so happen to have one if you are interested pm me.

WildcatNate
12-05-2008, 10:39 AM
What home audio system do you own?

In my basement I run B&W 700 series and in my living room I have Aperion Intimus. I use an Aperion sub with the living room, but it is a bit lacking to me. I have a Velodyne DD series in the basement. Not high end stuff, but it works great for what we need.

My brother has a home theater in his house and he runs two M&K subs in it, sounds real nice. He is the one that auditioned the JLs vs. the M&K. I was with him and they let him to an in-home demo. The JLs won, but not worth the extra coin.

fuster
12-06-2008, 12:37 AM
How much are they? (the JL's):wow:

WildcatNate
12-06-2008, 10:07 AM
At the time they were offering them at $8,000 a piece for the Gothams. You might be able to get them cheaper now, not sure I have not looked in a long while.