PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else find this ridiculous???

Maddogg7888
11-24-2008, 11:24 AM
kinda made me mad when i saw this...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136ZR525CS/JL-Audio-ZR525-CSi.html?showAll=N&tp=105

thegreatestpenn
11-24-2008, 11:28 AM
what about it made you mad? the grey market statement or price?

Maddogg7888
11-24-2008, 11:30 AM
price...thats alot of dough for just a component set

DBfan187
11-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Looks about right to me.

x2o
11-24-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm guessing you missed the thread where people posted 4 thousand and 10 thousand dollar component sets...

This just happened a few minutes ago :fyi:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=7178

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4312

thegreatestpenn
11-24-2008, 11:32 AM
there's plenty of comp sets that cost more than that, used. Why does that make you angry? its their product. you don't have to buy it. I'm sure they are marketing towards high end audiophiles.

team3d
11-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Thats f****** crazy. I guess some people will buy them though.

Maddogg7888
11-24-2008, 11:37 AM
it just seems like a waste of money to me... personally i feel like the sq difference between a 1000 buck comp set and a 200 buck comp set is worth nowhere near $800, but thats just me...

x2o
11-24-2008, 11:37 AM
it just seems like a waste of money to me... personally i feel like the sq difference between a 1000 buck comp set and a 200 buck comp set is worth nowhere near $800, but thats just me...

Have you actually heard one of those 1000 dollar component sets? Or are you just assuming.

snoopdan
11-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Have you actually heard one of those 1000 dollar component sets? Or are you just assuming.

I have judged SQ cars that had highly expensive componants at events. Sometimes, I heard cheaper componant sets that were installed more mindfully that sounded equal or better. Its not always about the cash, ...its 90% install.

Maddogg7888
11-24-2008, 11:43 AM
im assuming but u cant tell me that a a grand for a comp set is a worthwhile investment, for that you could buy a good quality amp and speakers for your entire vehicle, i mean if you really have enough money to just throw away then i get it, but 99% of people are not that fortunate. Y sell a product to 1% of the population, that doesnt seem like good business

x2o
11-24-2008, 11:43 AM
I have judged SQ cars that had highly expensive componants at events. Sometimes, I heard cheaper componant sets that were installed more mindfully that sounded equal or better. Its not always about the cash, ...its 90% install.

Well yeah definitely, but assuming same quality install, a dirt cheap set can only do so much.

Trust me, I know it isn't 100% about the cash. If I thought so, I wouldn't be running PG RSD's :laugh:

x2o
11-24-2008, 11:45 AM
im assuming but u cant tell me that a a grand for a comp set is a worthwhile investment, for that you could buy a good quality amp and speakers for your entire vehicle, i mean if you really have enough money to just throw away then i get it, but 99% of people are not that fortunate. Y sell a product to 1% of the population, that doesnt seem like good business

There is a huge percentage of people that spend quite a bit of money on their components and front stage. This forum (CA.com) isn't as geared towards SQ heads as some other ones (DIYMA comes to mind). Majority of the people here think SPL first, SQ second. Or they go for SQL.

Same reason someone may see your system putting up 150dB, and you spending 5 grand on that system, just to be 'loud', they would consider that 'not worth it' just as you consider a lot of money on SQ is 'not worth it'.

Car audio is about personal taste. Some people like loud, some people like quality. Both come at an expensive price.

James Bang
11-24-2008, 11:59 AM
It might not be a good investment for you, since you might not know what 'good' sounds like.

Well yeah definitely, but assuming same quality install, a dirt cheap set can only do so much.

Trust me, I know it isn't 100% about the cash. If I thought so, I wouldn't be running PG RSD's :laugh:
bottleneck.

There is a huge percentage of people that spend quite a bit of money on their components and front stage. This forum (CA.com) isn't as geared towards SQ heads as some other ones (DIYMA comes to mind). Majority of the people here think SPL first, SQ second. Or they go for SQL.

Same reason someone may see your system putting up 150dB, and you spending 5 grand on that system, just to be 'loud', they would consider that 'not worth it' just as you consider a lot of money on SQ is 'not worth it'.

Car audio is about personal taste. Some people like loud, some people like quality. Both come at an expensive price.
agreed.

OMG expensive comps/raw drivers. oh noes, that's dumb... STFU

huge amp = $$$$
big subs = $$$$
ho alt = $$$$
big power wire = $$$$
wood for enclosure = $$$$

Same ****, different toilet.

blazeplacid
11-24-2008, 12:06 PM

you dont belong on any car audio site :)

Its just like people who spend thousdands on tires and light weight rims for thier race car they only use 2 hours a week.

Gotta have a hobby

I mean I spent $1600 on my dnx8120 and I think it was worth it, could I of invested it in stocks and bonds, sure but I didnt

Buck
11-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Those are expensive.

James Bang
11-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Those are expensive.

what a smart fellow. thanks for schooling us with something we never would've found out if it wasn't for you. +1 post just made your even more smart! dang..

528hz
11-24-2008, 12:20 PM
price...thats alot of dough for just a component set

That's and understatement. More like fvcking insane price for comps. Those things better upload an imprint of whatever I'm listening to in my brain for that price.

WhoSayWho?
11-24-2008, 12:22 PM

Hmmm, how much do you think people that are involved in this hobby spend on average on their subs, once they pay for the driver(s), amp, wiring, enclosure, improved electrical?

I think most of us have it backwards, meaning we spend money on subs and then skimp on the components.

thegreatestpenn
11-24-2008, 12:25 PM
I'll say this, bass can get louder and louder, but it can only be so dynamic. the rest of the sound can do so much more. My greatest investment was a good set of comps and they satisfied me more than any sub has (and I loves the bass).

snoopdan
11-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Hey even in my spl monster of a jeep, I still have vintage high end Audiocontrol EQX and Phoenix Gold Zero Point componants.

WhoSayWho?
11-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Hey even in my spl monster of a jeep, I still have vintage high end Audiocontrol EQX and Phoenix Gold Zero Point componants.

Don't get sassy with me.:dont:

Upzaw2000
11-24-2008, 12:50 PM
i like pioneer Premier sets... cheap... and sounds good.... the end/thread lol

snoopdan
11-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Don't get sassy with me.:dont:

:crap:

efm80
11-24-2008, 01:09 PM

I always hear 90% is install. Besides the obvious like sound deading, what else would contribute to the importance of an install??

bass_lover1
11-24-2008, 01:35 PM
I always hear 90% is install. Besides the obvious like sound deading, what else would contribute to the importance of an install??

Aiming and placement. Making sure that the surface you're mounting to is resonant free, not just door panels, but floor boards, kicks, a-pillars. Also tuning is a very important process too, but that often get's over looked.

It took me 2 days to mock up and install me 3-way front stage, it's taken me just as long if not longer to dial in my stereo where I like it....and even now there's still room for improvement.

James Bang
11-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Aiming and placement. Making sure that the surface you're mounting to is resonant free, not just door panels, but floor boards, kicks, a-pillars. Also tuning is a very important process too, but that often get's over looked.

It took me 2 days to mock up and install me 3-way front stage, it's taken me just as long if not longer to dial in my stereo where I like it....and even now there's still room for improvement.

:eek: :D

audiolife
11-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Why do people spend 800-1500 on an amp that requires another 500 + in electrical upgrades for the car?? I am not saying that is bad as people like what they like but if you are trying to be loud its a good idea to have the full range of music playing and sounding good. There is a kid in my town who has a big alphasonic amp (do not know the model number) on 2 15" kicker L7's . Entry level Pioneer deck (old from the 90's), stock speakers running off the deck. At night his blazer almost browns out with the system turned up...you can not hear anything but BOOOOOOM sitting inside of it.

endofdays89
11-24-2008, 10:55 PM
those prices are stupid, 2-3 grand maybe, but 10,000 dollars for a **** set of components is horrible. i don't care what anyone says, they aren't as good as the price they are asking for them.

audiolife
11-24-2008, 10:57 PM
iirc Earl Z ran a 10k dollar set of tweeters and a $6k set of mids back in 2000

benchambers80
11-24-2008, 11:00 PM

Law of diminishing returns?

endofdays89
11-24-2008, 11:07 PM
those jl's are 75 rms, i wonder if they even get loud. And when i say loud, i mean real loud?

From what i've experienced with JL products is that there **** doesn't get loud, it is all just for SQ. Why pay $900 for a set of components that will only get moderately loud at best, i don't get it?

Ignatowski
11-25-2008, 04:31 AM
more JL Propaganda . . .Crutchfield is an online dealer but everyone else is an Unauthorized online dealer......... which means they would rather protect retailers who make full profit from their overpriced car audio equipment than stand behind what they sell peroid... Really though
JL is all name and hype and that W7 they invented so many years ago has been out done by half the industry already...
Have you heard JL comps? They are really no big deal at all. I put them right up there with Pioneer

lyttleviet
11-25-2008, 06:13 AM
They are what they are man.. There are a lot of other component sets out there 3-5x that much.

headless
11-25-2008, 09:04 AM
those prices are stupid, 2-3 grand maybe, but 10,000 dollars for a **** set of components is horrible. i don't care what anyone says, they aren't as good as the price they are asking for them.

You also think that there's no audible difference between crossing your component speakers over at 60hz hpf vs. crossing them over at 100hz hpf. Which, if you actually buy speakers and install/tune according to your beliefs on quality vs. cost, might be true in your setup.

Anyway, that price for those speakers is still bullshit... For a hundred or so more you're in power line CS range with cal-27's and a 7" woofer that pounds. 5.25's would be difficult to justify in that price range unless my install had serious space limitations.

bigaudiofanatic
11-25-2008, 10:26 AM
I love my Polk's and now that I know how good they are my next upgrade will be to the sr's.

DBBOOM
11-25-2008, 10:30 AM

x 2 Maximize what your using, throwing money at a problem doesnt always fix it.

Megalomaniac
11-25-2008, 10:42 AM

you mix that 90% of install with that 120% of cash :p: you get a car full of WIN!!!

x2o
11-25-2008, 10:42 AM
you mix that 90% of install with that 120% of cash :p: you get a car full of WIN!!!

:woot:!

JayRich
11-25-2008, 11:31 AM
wELL CRUTCHFIELD ALSO MARKS UP THEIR JL PRODUCTS LIKE CRAZY. I MEAN THEY HAVE THE 13W7 FOR OVER$1000

bigaudiofanatic
11-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Crutchfeild in my opinion is one of the best companies you can deal with period I mean yes they are a tad expensive but if you ever need help they are there.

joshualittle
11-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Who cares about help you can hire someone to help you at their jl prices. They want $1199 for a 13 w7. Techronics.com has them for $618 shipped, with a 2 year warranty. As for the component set you can get rainbow vanadiums, morel hybrid ovation 6 and almost get the morel elate 6. Not to mention the focal k2p's in the $700 price range. These speakers would eat the jl's alive. That's one thing I hate most is overpriced gear. That's why I'm laying low and keeping my sources to myself.

joshualittle
11-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Never will I pay retail prices.

bass_lover1
11-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Who cares about help you can hire someone to help you at their jl prices. They want $1199 for a 13 w7. Techronics.com has them for $618 shipped, with a 2 year warranty. As for the component set you can get rainbow vanadiums, morel hybrid ovation 6 and almost get the morel elate 6. Not to mention the focal k2p's in the $700 price range. These speakers would eat the jl's alive. That's one thing I hate most is overpriced gear. That's why I'm laying low and keeping my sources to myself.

So you've done a head to head comparison of each speaker? I'd love to see any data you've collected that could back up your statements.

headless
11-25-2008, 04:40 PM
lol :popcorn: this should be funny.

audiolife
11-25-2008, 06:57 PM
I have heard from a trusted sources those JL's keep up quite well with other speakers in their price range....are they the best? no but you can do worse for more $$ LOL

916Kev
11-26-2008, 02:20 AM
It's just money. It comes and go.

GAM3OVR
11-26-2008, 02:32 AM
JL XR's are great. Other then that I haven't sampled much :crap:

I hope to in the future

Zip_Loc
12-08-2008, 07:53 AM

JL is still in buisness :fyi:
Its all about marketing - convince somebody your product is the absolute best and they will pay anything for it. Lexus, Infinity, Acura, Audi - at the core simply a rebadged Nissan, Toyota, Honda, and VW. This stuff happens everywhere in every market.
Then theres the other end of this, where those dollars do actually buy something worthwhile. 90 percent of people dont need that qaulity, but those who do will pay for it and there are companies that cater to them.
It may not be right or smart or whatever, but DO NOT be surprised.