PDA

View Full Version : Removing a HU w/out the keys.

Chuckles5150
07-21-2003, 10:32 PM
I'm having a hell of a time getting my Eclipse HU out so that I can wire up my new Kappa Perfect. I bought my car with the HU and don't have any keys to the deck. Someone suggested using a coat hanger to get it out, but there isn't enough room to slip the metal wire in. Does anyone have any suggestions? It'll **** if I pay somone to professionally "install" the sub because I can't get the deck out to plug in a remote line and some RCAs. Any help? Thanks.

-Chuck.

willll
07-21-2003, 10:46 PM
if you can get the key to a pioneer, it might work too. if you can get some metal strips that are flat and skinny and big enough to fit in the two little slots on either side, you can stick them in and trip the locking mechanisms and pull the deck out manually, you won't be able to pull it out with just the strips, bec/ the keys have little nobbies to grab the unit. again, if you can find a friend who just bought a new stereo, the keys may be fairly similar, and you will at least be able to get it unlocked.

ramos
07-22-2003, 01:05 PM
Have you tried a butter knife ? :)

willll
07-22-2003, 03:55 PM
a butter knife could be too large to get into the little slots, you could dremel off about a 1/4 inch off the top and bottom and it would be perfect. cost effective too :)

MikeofTulsa
07-22-2003, 07:39 PM
jus go to like radioshack or walmart......they sell those sterio removal tools....

Matador
07-22-2003, 08:57 PM
jus go to like radioshack or walmart......they sell those sterio removal tools....
'

yep i was gonna say that too. they r nto that $$ neither.

ramos
07-23-2003, 05:18 AM
I keep forgetting about walmart. THe sons of b!tches stopped selling anything car audio related here . :furious: :)

paikiah
07-23-2003, 09:44 AM
an easier way.. get those slot covers that are found behind any desktop PC's to hide unused expansioi slots. they are relatively thin. Now, you can cut the things with a strong nipper, then shave off the sharp edges. Ther you go, made a master key. :)

MXJMR
07-23-2003, 10:30 AM
If u get the trim piece from the dash that goes around the headunit and all that other stuff, the mounting harness is usually screwed in with two screws, u can undo those disconnect the harness and work from there.

MikeofTulsa
07-23-2003, 12:42 PM
I keep forgetting about walmart. THe sons of b!tches stopped selling anything car audio related here . :furious: :)
sux to be u

ramos
07-23-2003, 01:29 PM
Doesn't though :)