PDA

View Full Version : Who runs rear comps?

silenkiller
11-23-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm thinking about putting a second set of comps in the back of my car. I have a 4 door sedan and I've noticed that when theres 4 people in the car, the people in the back cant' hear the music all that well, esp. with the bass coming from the trunk.

Anyone have experience with this? Like I said, it would be an identical set.

Simek4life
11-23-2008, 11:07 PM
NO.
get a better pair of front comps :)

thegreatestpenn
11-23-2008, 11:09 PM
the problem could be speaker positioning. Usually when front comps are staged, the tweets are aimed so the front seats will benefit most. Rear fill should remedy this with any old coaxials off deck power. I've run comps in the rear in my Civic and it was a little overbearing having all that power in the vehicle. IMO I'd either change the the staging of the front comps and add rear fill or add power to the front comps

silenkiller
11-23-2008, 11:09 PM
My front comps are fine. I don't think you've experienced what I'm talking about. When your in the backseat you have to turn up the music too loud for them to hear it as well as in the front. Then it makes conversation difficult.

Side Show
11-23-2008, 11:10 PM
yeah i've run both two sets of splits front and rear in one car and splits upfront and 2-ways in the rear of another car, i like the 2-ways myself

silenkiller
11-23-2008, 11:11 PM
the problem could be speaker positioning. Usually when front comps are staged, the tweets are aimed so the front seats will benefit most. Rear fill should remedy this with any old coaxials off deck power. I've run comps in the rear in my Civic and it was a little overbearing having all that power in the vehicle. IMO I'd either change the the staging of the front comps and add rear fill or add power to the front comps

Well, the fronts are in the doors so they arn't moving. They sound great - and they def get very loud. Its just that for the people in the back to hear it just as good as the front, they have to be up pretty loud, which then botches the ability to have an easy conversation.

Simek4life
11-23-2008, 11:12 PM
My front comps are fine. I don't think you've experienced what I'm talking about. When your in the backseat you have to turn up the music too loud for them to hear it as well as in the front. Then it makes conversation difficult.

I know exactly what you re talking about. i have just one set of components running off the front. They are difficult to hear on low volumes. I tell the back seat passengers to deal with it.

thegreatestpenn
11-23-2008, 11:12 PM
well what's more important? conversation or the music? Why aren't the Tweets in the A-pillars? If the tweets were put in the A-pillars the sound would travel throughout the vehicle better

99grandprixGT
11-23-2008, 11:14 PM
ya i understand what ur saying. but **** just turn it down if ya want to talk. easy solution and will not cost u no money. lol.

silenkiller
11-23-2008, 11:14 PM
well what's more important? conversation or the music? Why aren't the Tweets in the A-pillars? If the tweets were put in the A-pillars the sound would travel throughout the vehicle better

I was under the impression that it sounds most natural when the tweeters are positioned as close to the midrange as possible. Hence why they are floating over my CDT m6's with that braxial setup.

subydude81
11-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Yea for better imaging you don't want the tweeter to high, but some prefer it because it raises the front soundstage. I keep the tweeter as close to tche mid.

And yes i've ran rear comps but was a waste and now I just have a set of coaxials in the rear doors sound deadened very well and they sound better than the comps I had running back there before.

thegreatestpenn
11-23-2008, 11:20 PM
I was under the impression that it sounds most natural when the tweeters are positioned as close to the midrange as possible. Hence why they are floating over my CDT m6's with that braxial setup.

again, what is more important, natural sound or the people in the back being able to hear?

silenkiller
11-23-2008, 11:24 PM
again, what is more important, natural sound or the people in the back being able to hear?

What I'm saying is I don't see why you can't have both by putting in a 2nd identical set in the rear doors :confused:???

oldschool4me
11-23-2008, 11:25 PM
i use midbass in rear, works great.

thegreatestpenn
11-23-2008, 11:27 PM
what comps are you running and how much power are you feeding them? shoulda asked this earlier

silenkiller
11-23-2008, 11:52 PM
CDT m6's/silk tweets and matching xovers. 150rms per set, 300 total off a JL 300/2

Drunkship
11-24-2008, 08:14 AM
My friend's 1997 VW Golf has stock tweeters in the doors in the rear seats, I always thought that was a little weird...

Crownvicon28s
11-24-2008, 08:47 AM
i use midbass in rear, works great.

Yeah me also. Im very impressed with how the by 9's midbass sound.

916Kev
11-24-2008, 09:51 AM
They're just passengers.

efm80
11-24-2008, 12:16 PM
i use rear coaxials and I am one of the few who loves rear fill. I definitely keep my fader around 4 or so favoring the front, but with no rear fill I feel like I hear my music coming from my front speakers in a very directional manner, but with rear fill it brings my soundstage more higher and in the middle and I feel I do not know where the music is coming from. That might not make sense and sound stupid, but I guess rear fill gives me more of a transparent sound.

eddie

silenkiller
11-24-2008, 12:18 PM
i use rear coaxials and I am one of the few who loves rear fill. I definitely keep my fader around 4 or so favoring the front, but with no rear fill I feel like I hear my music coming from my front speakers in a very directional manner, but with rear fill it brings my soundstage more higher and in the middle and I feel I do not know where the music is coming from. That might not make sense and sound stupid, but I guess rear fill gives me more of a transparent sound.

eddie

Yeah, I think ima go for that and see how it rolls. I'm going to do a second set of cdt m6's though in the doors. I figure I'll still have it favor the front, but it'll fill up better - and if I ever want to get loud as **** I'll be able to heh.

bones justice
11-24-2008, 02:07 PM
well what you can do is run coaxials in the rear and power them with ur amp. i'd use the fader so the front stage can be heard since thats the point of it. that should solve the problem. front stage still being the star of the show and the passengers can hear the music as well.

James Bang
11-24-2008, 03:41 PM
want a conversation?? turn the **** volume down.

ya i understand what ur saying. but **** just turn it down if ya want to talk. easy solution and will not cost u no money. lol.
x2

Yeah me also. Im very impressed with how the by 9's midbass sound.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Vestax
11-24-2008, 04:10 PM
6x9's have such a special place here that they have nicknames for it.

I think I'm going to install a pair of 54's to fit in.

JimJ
11-24-2008, 04:18 PM
If you can't hear the music in the back seat clearly, then you have work to do on your front stage.

Period.

This has never been a problem in the vehicles I've sat in with proper front stages...

silenkiller
11-24-2008, 04:58 PM
If you can't hear the music in the back seat clearly, then you have work to do on your front stage.

Period.

This has never been a problem in the vehicles I've sat in with proper front stages...

Maybe. I don't have many people to compare systems to around here. I just don't see how if your speakers and tweeters are down in the bottom of your door in the front, you can ever expect your rear passengers to have the same sound experience as you in the front.

Just using logic here.

Fortunately car audio is about making yourself happy. So I'm going to give my plan a shot. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Edit: Hmm.. I bet if i ran my sound stage a lot higher it would work fine, like in the corners of the dash. Meh I'd have holes in doors then.

Doola36
11-24-2008, 06:04 PM
I say do it. I have two sets of comps in my truck and I do like the back to feel like my front. I say do what you feel because it's going to be your system.

James Bang
11-24-2008, 06:19 PM
just using logic here: who gives a **** about the passengers' sound experience. they didn't research/plan/buy/install your setup.

silenkiller
11-24-2008, 10:58 PM
just using logic here: who gives a **** about the passengers' sound experience. they didn't research/plan/buy/install your setup.

uh, obviously i do or i wouldnt have made this thread? :confused:

JimJ
11-24-2008, 11:35 PM
I just don't see how if your speakers and tweeters are down in the bottom of your door in the front, you can ever expect your rear passengers to have the same sound experience as you in the front.

Well, no, the rear passengers aren't going to have the same "experience" as the front seats will, you're right...but unless you're building pods facing up at the rear seats, neither will the back seat passengers anyway :) With the use of time alignment, neither does the front seat passenger, anyway...

I didn't think staging was a concern for the rear seats, only volume. And that is more than enough provided you have enough dynamic range on the fronts.

James Bang
11-25-2008, 12:18 PM
uh, obviously i do or i wouldnt have made this thread? :confused:

uh, that's because you're an idiot.

music and conversations at the same time? :confused:

well, if i was one of your backseat passengers, i'd like speakers back there... so I won't have to listen to your *** trying to speak over the music.

jtyler
11-25-2008, 01:37 PM
just put coaxials in the back

k_schutte
11-25-2008, 01:41 PM
I run the same TRC.6N's front and back.
I have adapters for the rear (where 6X9's) that angle the speakers toward the front a decent amount. I did just have a set of comps up front with Exlipse 6X9's in the rear but got sick of not having any noticable music in back. I have been VERY happy ever since i put the second set in the back! I set my fade to the rear a little bit and i fukkin LOVE it! They are running on a CRUNCH P1800.4

Vestax
11-25-2008, 03:46 PM
I wish there were concerts where the band was playing both in the front and in the back because you know, I have eyes on the back of my head. :crap:

James Bang
11-25-2008, 04:03 PM
I wish there were concerts where the band was playing both in the front and in the back because you know, I have eyes on the back of my head. :crap:

depending on where you stand/sit at a concert, sometimes the sounds would bounce off the back wall and it'll sound like surround sound.... yo.

k_schutte
11-27-2008, 11:47 AM

Not sure how this post is at all relevant as you hear with your EARS not your eyes... and last i checked ears are usualy on the SIDE of your head, not the front.
Now if you where WATCHING music than there would be no need for a rear stage at all but since you obviously listen to it might as well have something back there. When i was only running fronts i think everysingle person that rode in my car asked what happened to my rear speakers and said it sounded weird only having fronts. I obviously agreed so i run front and rears now. I will be upgrading the fronts most likely to the SS reference componets and leaving the TRC.6N's in the rear but i will alwas have something in the back.

However when it comes down to it, it is all Personal Preference... If i have $500, i will put a $350 set up front and a $150 set in the rear, but that is just me...

Vestax
11-30-2008, 05:10 AM
Not sure how this post is at all relevant as you hear with your EARS not your eyes... and last i checked ears are usualy on the SIDE of your head, not the front.
Now if you where WATCHING music than there would be no need for a rear stage at all but since you obviously listen to it might as well have something back there. When i was only running fronts i think everysingle person that rode in my car asked what happened to my rear speakers and said it sounded weird only having fronts. I obviously agreed so i run front and rears now. I will be upgrading the fronts most likely to the SS reference componets and leaving the TRC.6N's in the rear but i will alwas have something in the back.

However when it comes down to it, it is all Personal Preference... If i have $500, i will put a $350 set up front and a $150 set in the rear, but that is just me...

You're cool and a genius. Have an astonishing life :crazy: