PDA

View Full Version : DIY help please

jinx8402
07-21-2003, 10:19 PM
I am thinking of going the DIY route for my front stage. If I do, I will probably order from Madisound.com, and get crossovers made for $25. I have a few questions, and maybe some of you can even suggest some speakers. First off I plan on making some kicks for them, since my car can't fit anything but 4x6's in the door. I am using a Kicker kx400.2 for the fronts...100x2 @4ohm and 200x2 @2ohm, but is benched at 470 watts. First question is what ohm speakers should I get? Would it be possible to run 4 ohm mids and 8 ohm tweets? I listen mostly to rap with the occasional rock/alternative music mixed in. What are some good 6.5 mids that have solid midbass, and tweets that aren't overly harsh on the ears. Sorry for a pretty long post, but this is my first dive into DIY speakers. My budget is anywhere from $150-$250, so please keep that in mind...+/- a few dollars won't kill me though. Thanks for any help. If you need any additional info to help me...I would be glad to give it.

Craig

paikiah
07-21-2003, 10:25 PM
If you get a different ohmload speaker, you might have to get separate amps, and the xovers must have separate inputs and output.

Decide what kind of xover slope you want. ALso, if you can get your hands on an LCR meter, you're a lucky SOB.

jinx8402
07-21-2003, 10:35 PM
i'm thinking of getting either 12db or 18db slopes...as for the LCR meter, if I even knew what that was I think I would be happy, but my dad has a lot of electronic equipment and he might have it. If I got 4 ohm speakers and 4 ohm tweets, and the crossover made, what would my final impedence be? 2 ohms or 4 ohms? This is the stuff I'm not too sure of and the reason I am posting this. Thanks again.

Craig

paikiah
07-21-2003, 11:54 PM
i'm thinking of getting either 12db or 18db slopes...as for the LCR meter, if I even knew what that was I think I would be happy, but my dad has a lot of electronic equipment and he might have it. If I got 4 ohm speakers and 4 ohm tweets, and the crossover made, what would my final impedence be? 2 ohms or 4 ohms? This is the stuff I'm not too sure of and the reason I am posting this. Thanks again.

Craig

12dB would be 2nd order, 3rd order would yield 18dB slope. Get a xover calculator, shows you exact numbers. the LCR will be needed to cut the coils according to specs.

as for 4 ohm mids and tweets, if there's one input with two outputs, I believe that would still yield a final 4 ohmload (i asked about this awhile back and this is what people told me)