PDA

View Full Version : 1/2" particle board

LuNaTiC
07-21-2003, 07:26 PM
will that be sturdy enough for close to 1,000 watts rms with enough glue and screws?

burtonsnow83
07-21-2003, 07:32 PM
will that be sturdy enough for close to 1,000 watts rms with enough glue and screws?

NO NO and NO. First particle board's structural rigidity is very poor, second it is to thin, thirdly no amount of glue and screws is going to overcome flexing in a board, that is what bracing is for.

Particle board is porous, is extremely flexible and is a poor box building material. Maybe for a 50 watt application it would be ok, even there I wouldn't recomend it.

LuNaTiC
07-21-2003, 08:11 PM
So you are saying fiberboard is the same way because they are same thing. Or soo I"ve heard...?

burtonsnow83
07-21-2003, 08:14 PM
So you are saying fiberboard is the same way because they are same thing. Or soo I"ve heard...?

No, particle board is compressed woodchips, fiberboard is compressed sawdust. Both are compressed woods\, but mdf as opposed to particleboard is much denser therefore retaining a higher rigidity and lower permeability. Neither are completely air tight in the sense that both are porous, but Particleboard much more so than MDF. MDF is stronger, denser, and more compressed and is superior in box building in every way

evo2k3
07-21-2003, 08:15 PM

any of those composite materials are "fiberboard".....mdf (medium density fiberboard) is a type and the recomended material for box building....1000 watts needs at least 3/4" thinkness and if its a big box you will need to brace it. The particle board box would implode / explode with 1000 watts run to a decent driver.

kingpin_jeffie
07-22-2003, 12:00 PM
So my popsicle box idea probably wont play out?!?!:D

ramos
07-22-2003, 01:01 PM
No, particle board is compressed woodchips, fiberboard is compressed sawdust. Both are compressed woods\, but mdf as opposed to particleboard is much denser therefore retaining a higher rigidity and lower permeability. Neither are completely air tight in the sense that both are porous, but Particleboard much more so than MDF. MDF is stronger, denser, and more compressed and is superior in box building in every way

Except for the freakin weight :D Yep MDF is a fiberboard. It is a very densly compressed board comprised of very uniform wood fibers, glued with a formaldahide (sp?) based glue. Where as particle board, and OSB are compressed under nearly the same pressure. The comprising wood fibers aren't as uniform. Which leaves alot of void spaces in the board itself. Which too us in the car audio world is a bad thing. hence the flexing of such materials. MDF still has flex to it, just not as much. With proper bracing MDF is about as close to being perfect, AND cheap as it gets. :)

MXJMR
07-25-2003, 02:02 PM
I [U] use 3/4" mdf for any subwoofer enlclosure, its sturdy and works well.