PDA

View Full Version : Any way to use this car audio equip for home audio?

Joe89
11-22-2008, 11:17 PM
So I have a bunch of equipment I' am considering using for home audio...

Mostly my 6 12" RD Classics. [specs] (http://www.rdaudio.net/classic/classic.htm)

I think I want to use four of them, so 2 per tower.

What mid range speakers and tweeters should I use with these and what amps would work well? How will I control the cross over of the subs (The LPF on the sub amp?)

I have 2 tables and a mixer (dj equipemnt) as well as a video game console (360 or ps3) I'd like to use the speakers with.

Suggestions?

SQBubble
11-24-2008, 02:49 AM
So I have a bunch of equipment I' am considering using for home audio...

Mostly my 6 12" RD Classics. [specs] (http://www.rdaudio.net/classic/classic.htm)

I think I want to use four of them, so 2 per tower.

What mid range speakers and tweeters should I use with these and what amps would work well? How will I control the cross over of the subs (The LPF on the sub amp?)

I have 2 tables and a mixer (dj equipemnt) as well as a video game console (360 or ps3) I'd like to use the speakers with.

Suggestions?

well first of all how much do you want to spend tops?

Farmacist
11-24-2008, 02:54 AM
Here would be a good setup, I mean you might have to do soem tweeking but you could use those woofers in this . ...

http://www.parts-express.com/projectshowcase/indexn.cfm?project=MagnaCumLaude

http://www.parts-express.com/projectshowcase/magna/magna-sm.jpg

IDSkoT
11-24-2008, 02:56 AM
You can either buy a plate amp, or if you have car audio amps, you can buy a computer power supply (Make sure that the 12 volt rail can maintain enough amps as your amp's fuses equal up to. Preferably more.), and just plug your amp in that way. That's how I plan on doing it.

blubberbutt
11-24-2008, 11:46 AM
or if you have car audio amps, you can buy a computer power supply (Make sure that the 12 volt rail can maintain enough amps as your amp's fuses equal up to. Preferably more.), and just plug your amp in that way. That's how I plan on doing it.

I'd like to find out more about how you use the pc power supply to power a car amp ... very interesting ....

IamDeMan
11-24-2008, 01:37 PM
You can either buy a plate amp, or if you have car audio amps, you can buy a computer power supply (Make sure that the 12 volt rail can maintain enough amps as your amp's fuses equal up to. Preferably more.), and just plug your amp in that way. That's how I plan on doing it.

Most car amps worthy of use will draw more amps than an affordable PC power supply will safely put out continuously. Anyone who can afford to buy a large reliable power supply may as well put the money into a home amp. This subject has been beat to death and the general consensus and smart move is to not bother with using car amps in home. It is just ridiculous and retarded.

IamDeMan
11-24-2008, 01:40 PM
I'd like to find out more about how you use the pc power supply to power a car amp ... very interesting ....

It's easy and stupid all in one stroke.

I advise you don't follow the retard down his trail of fail.

blubberbutt
11-24-2008, 02:36 PM
It's easy and stupid all in one stroke.

I advise you don't follow the retard down his trail of fail.

Hahaha .. thanks for the info. My concern was whether the pc power supply would be adequate & you answered that above.

SQBubble
11-24-2008, 02:40 PM
x2

I've actually tried using my car amplifier with a deep cycle battery and a battery charger... its really not worth it and indeed stupid... just get a home or pro amplifier, keep the car amplifier for car audio...

standbackimapro
11-24-2008, 02:44 PM

If you go onto google and type in somthing like " converting pc power supply to 12volt" theres a bunch of write ups about how to do it with pics and everything

they really do come in handy, Because you can test amps, subs and what not with it if you ever needed to without installing into a car

IamDeMan
11-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Hahaha .. thanks for the info. My concern was whether the pc power supply would be adequate & you answered that above.

Many can be adequate. It just isn't worth it for safety and aesthetics. You will look like a tool. Any power supply I would feel comfortable using is going to cost a bit. I would save for a home amp.

This idea is and always will be retarded.

IamDeMan
11-25-2008, 09:21 AM
If you go onto google and type in somthing like " converting pc power supply to 12volt" theres a bunch of write ups about how to do it with pics and everything

they really do come in handy, Because you can test amps, subs and what not with it if you ever needed to without installing into a car

Now I condone this. As a test bench in a shop or garage, ok. As a primary to listening to music at home, no.

Orion Man
11-25-2008, 09:31 AM
I'm using my BNIB Orion 12 for my home sub. I'm building the enclosure and tuning it low. I'll be using a 300watt plate amp from Parts Express. Plug it in, tune it, enjoy!

Rsahota112
12-09-2008, 08:16 AM
I have 2 12 JL w3v3's, i need reccomendations on whether to go ported or sealed with the box and what the specs should be for using these 2 12's in a home theatre sub application ?