PDA

View Full Version : Need help with towers

zx450v2
11-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Im looking for some help and/or plans and directions to build some Home Theater towers for my room. They are gonna be bigger than normal towers and have one 18'' fi Q, one JL 12'' w6, two mids and two tweets. I just need help with some plans and box designs to make it sound the way it should. Good sound quality.

Thanks

SPLEclipse
11-22-2008, 01:21 PM
all of that per tower? those are going to be seriously big...like half the room, lol. i would suggest putting one 18" in a seperate box tuned low. if thats not enough bass for you something is wrong. also...how do you plan to power all this?

zx450v2
11-22-2008, 02:56 PM
A few crown audio 2000 watt home amps

JimJ
11-22-2008, 03:15 PM
#1 - Don't combine subwoofer brands/models. If you really need a stout midbass, get a dedicated 12" or 10" midbass, not the W6...unless the JL can actually go up that high without having the off-axis response go to hell, which I'm not sure it can.

#2 - With two tweets, you're likely going to run into comb filtering issues. It'll be hard to have a well-defined soundstage. One tweet and one midrange per side is going to be a lot easier to design a crossover for.

#3 - If this is your first project, you'd do well to stick to something pre-designed. If "good sound quality" really is a priority, designing a crossover from scratch if you have no experience with building them may be a lot to take on.

DBBOOM
11-22-2008, 03:17 PM
www.stevemeadedesigns.com

mlstrass
11-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Also I prefer the sub(s) separate so you have more options for placement.

partsexpress has a LOT of projects with driver/parts lists, etc... so check them out.

azimuth
11-22-2008, 04:02 PM
agreed. parts express is a good site, and they have tutorials. home audio is a different monster than car audio. i built bookshelf speakers for under 100$ that get louder than our sony tower speaker system.

zx450v2
11-22-2008, 04:23 PM
ok i have two 15'' Fi Q's and 2 jl w6ae's and thats it right now. How many mids and how many tweets should get for each tower? im gonna buy three different amps, one for subs, one for the w6 ae's and one for the mids and tweets. Do you buy two crossovers for each tower? or does the amp crossover the spaekers?

azimuth
11-22-2008, 04:26 PM
read the tutorial on parts express. you can get structured wiring for towers. you need to do alot of reading first.

Immacomputer
11-23-2008, 12:25 PM
http://www.zaphaudio.com/

Go there for some nice DIY plans for home audio stuff. It will give you crossover layout and components, speaker choice and the box design as well.