PDA

View Full Version : Mac users...should i buy an iMac?

orangecounty1
11-22-2008, 12:09 PM
ive never owned a Mac, i kinda want one though. i have a desktop i built, and a dell laptop, ive always kinda wanted a mac though. i was at bestbuy yesterday lookin at them, and it was right there by the customer service desk, so im like what the hell, lemme see if i can get approved for a credit card. i applied like 7 months ago when i was going to buy my 42" tv, and didnt get a card.

so i applied just for the hell of it, being 7 months later, and they gave me a $1200 limit. i had good credit last time, maybe just not enough credit. either way i have a 1200$ card for BB now.

so at first i was looking at the new macbooks. not the pro, not gonna spend that much money.

its either the new macbook for $1299, with the following specs:

13.3" screen
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz
2GB DDR3 Memory
160GB hard drive1
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

or

the old 13.3" macbook for $999

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1ghz
1GB DDR2 Memory
120GB hard drive1
Intel GMA X3100 graphics

or

the 20" iMac for $1199

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz
1GB DDR2 Memory
250GB hard drive1
ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128MB

im leaning towards the iMac.

slam
11-22-2008, 12:12 PM
i have the 24" imac(intel) and love the ever lasting **** out of mine.... DO IT

P.rick
11-22-2008, 12:14 PM
buddy you dont wanna put that on a credit card. credit card debt is the worst if this is your first card you will prob have about 18-20% interest that will kill you save up for it.

that having been said my gf is a mac freak so im sure youll be happy with either one you get the one advice id give you is dont get the comps that have the circular conect on comp for the power cord the go to crap fast and break the inside of your oomp make sure you get the new type plug that is rectangular.

orangecounty1
11-22-2008, 12:27 PM
i have the 24" imac(intel) and love the ever lasting **** out of mine.... DO IT

id love the 24" but i dont wanna spend that much.

do you have the 2.8 or 3.06 CPU?

you think the 20" 2.4 will be fine (im sure it will) ill upgrade to 4gb ram on my own, not paying 225 for apple to upgrade me to 4gb when it can be had on newegg for under 70 bux lol.

buddy you dont wanna put that on a credit card. credit card debt is the worst if this is your first card you will prob have about 18-20% interest that will kill you save up for it.

that having been said my gf is a mac freak so im sure youll be happy with either one you get the one advice id give you is dont get the comps that have the circular conect on comp for the power cord the go to crap fast and break the inside of your oomp make sure you get the new type plug that is rectangular.

theres no interest for 18 months. ill put like 300 down then just make the payments, ill have it paid off way before 18 months...... and ill be building more good credit on top of what i already have.

slam
11-22-2008, 12:30 PM
i actually have the one from a few years back.. its the 2.16... so im sure the 2.4 will be great

orangecounty1
11-22-2008, 12:32 PM
nice

P.rick
11-22-2008, 01:50 PM
ya 18months no interest you outa be fine good luck with the new purchase bud id go with the laptop so much more conveinent and my gf says its worth the extra 3 bills for the newer one shes owned pretty much every laptop they have ever made. btw what part of o town are you in i just moved from there

orangecounty1
11-22-2008, 02:17 PM
i live in tampa not o town haha

anyways, i would get the laptop but i already have a dell and i never actually take it around it just sits at my desk, and for less money i hink the iMac will be better. more processing power, bigger HDD and screen. i may get the new laptop though, but if i do, like i said it can only be the 13" one, and thats a small screen, and not really practical since im not gonna be transporting it around, etc.

Fiercetimbo17
11-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Seems a little expensive, however i do get the hookup

orangecounty1
11-23-2008, 07:05 AM
i bought the iMac yesterday

fuster
12-06-2008, 12:53 AM
I like what P.rick said. Don't put it on a credit card, for the reasons he said.

Best Buy has had some very good interest rates on credit in the past. I cannot speak for right now, however, and chances are good you have a horrendous interest rate (read the fine print and see what happens if you are late or miss a payment - they may default the interest to a criminally high interest rate, permanently).

I don't own a mac but know many who do and they like them. You should talk to someone in a Mac store about their refurbished lap tops (they call them something else, but they are demos, I think, and they go through them and then sell them at a much lower price and I think they still have a warranty like they are new). A friend of mine told me to try this avenue, and that is what I am going to do, although I can afford to buy one new.

Stay away from using a credit card for major consumer purchases, especially if you are early in your credit career. Get a card and only use it to make small purchases you can easily pay off within the billing cycle. If you establish timely payoff on your charges over a one or two year period, your credit score will gradually go up. :eek:

orangecounty1
12-06-2008, 07:07 AM
did you read post #10 by any chance? :rolleyes: