PDA

View Full Version : the sound of fiberglass

iammiowngod
07-20-2003, 11:13 PM
i just got a truck and now have absilutly no room for a sub box. the back of the cab is all funky shaped with curvs and bumps ect. so i thought i could fiberglass a box and it would them fit like a glove. so i was wondering how a fiberglass box would sound. i have seen fiberglass in combination with MDF but what about all fiberglass?
thanks
-brian

havoc06
07-21-2003, 08:07 AM
well you have to have MDF in there with it somewhere. Not on the back of the box, cause the cab itself will act as the back of the box with the fiberglass on it. But you will need a front to the box where the woofers will be mounted. With just fiberglass byitself, unless you are a pro, the box will not be strong enough. And you will get more precise cuts for the sub holes with wood, and save a **** load of time...

iammiowngod
07-21-2003, 04:30 PM
how about just a ring of MDF i want to keep the flat ill fitting material to a minnimum, there is literaly no room back there i also have long legs and dont want to push my seat any further forward than i have to.

thanks
-brian

evo2k3
07-21-2003, 08:23 PM
how about just a ring of MDF i want to keep the flat ill fitting material to a minnimum, there is literaly no room back there i also have long legs and dont want to push my seat any further forward than i have to.

thanks
-brian

generally people just make the front baffle out of mdf....i would go a bit larger than just a ring, but its the same generall idea. If you do it right there will be no audiable difference.

iammiowngod
07-21-2003, 11:12 PM
as soon as i get my sub i will go ahead and give it a try
thanks for the help
-brian

BDIDDY
07-21-2003, 11:24 PM
Well if fiberglass is all you can work with is there anything you can do about it? Not to get smart. Just do it, use alot of layers to make sure its stiff.

bigred78797
07-23-2003, 08:17 PM
OR you could do what i did and RIP OUT all that funky back paneling and shove the jack and stuff up under the seats :). Save u a great deal of money and effort :). Wait scratch the effort part.

ramos
07-24-2003, 10:59 AM
With proper construction you can't hear a difference in fiberglass vs. wood . But f-glass is alot stronger and lighter compared to MDF.

I'd go with mounting rings myself man. Jut use a couple little blocks of wood and some hot glue to keep them in place while your stretching your fleece over the frame. Then when your applying the resin don't put it in the middle of the rings. :)

iammiowngod
07-24-2003, 05:03 PM
thanks for the input ill start onit as soon as i sell a cd player and sub to get the money to buy the sub i want, ha.
-brian