PDA

View Full Version : JL Audio tweeters

JDBoogie
11-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Anyone know if the tweets from the XR and ZR component sets are the same? Both are aluminum dome but the web site doesnt go into detail on the ZR.

Hoodlum007
11-20-2008, 01:15 PM
They look the same but since the ZR cost so much more you assume they would put in a better tweeter. I would contact JL tech support to be sure though.

JDBoogie
11-20-2008, 01:25 PM
I contacted then yesterday and am waiting for a call back. Just looking for a quick answer. If i order before 1pm (CST) i can have them the next day. After 1 and i will have to wait until monday.

Hoodlum007
11-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Have you heard the XR or ZR comps? The tweeters are harsh and bright as hell for my ears.

JDBoogie
11-20-2008, 02:04 PM
I used to have the XR's and liked them OK. I have DynAudio now and love them but one of the tweets is having a issue. Im looking to replace my tweets with something nice and smooth. I remembered hearing a JL set that i liked and thought it might be the ZR's but wasnt sure.. Im considering the ID NX30 also..

Hoodlum007
11-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Just get a new set of Dyn tweeters, going from Dyn soft domes to JL alums is going to be the difference of night and day as far as sound.
Dyn's have the most laid back and smooth sound while the JL's are super sharp.

efm80
11-20-2008, 02:44 PM
you probably heard the JL C5 tweeter. Its a silk soft dome that is much smoother than JL's aluminum dome tweets found in its XR/ZR line.

Trey803
11-20-2008, 02:46 PM
"Harsh" can be tuned out with proper equipment ie equalizer

JDBoogie
11-20-2008, 04:12 PM
I am in the process of re doing my system. The Clarion HU is gone and replaced by a Sony XAV-W1 and Arc audio XEQ (may not use). Im also adding some ID OEMs as mid bass drivers.

The Dyn tweets are about $250-300 and i dont have the cash right now :(

It might have been the C5 i listened to because they sounded really smooth and not at all harsh at high volume.

Brian_smith06
11-22-2008, 04:01 PM
i havent heard the c5's but i was not impressed by the jl zr comps i heard. They were pretty harsh as mentioned before and the guy had a pretty nice eq in the car(not sure of model# but it was an audiocontrol with a digital remote?)

personally for the money i would rather have my current comps over those. however your just discussing tweets so i dont know if my comparison is going to help much

bass_lover1
11-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Have you considered the LPG 26NA tweeter that you can find on madisound?

It's an aluminum dome that is very smooth and when I used it, never fatiguing, and they're pretty cheap as well.

FoxPro5
11-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Four C5 component sets located up front: http://www.12volt.com/images/stories/feature/121907/dsc08620.jpg

Somebody knows how to make them work.

:)

efm80
11-22-2008, 06:48 PM
i havent heard the c5's but i was not impressed by the jl zr comps i heard. They were pretty harsh as mentioned before and the guy had a pretty nice eq in the car(not sure of model# but it was an audiocontrol with a digital remote?)

personally for the money i would rather have my current comps over those. however your just discussing tweets so i dont know if my comparison is going to help much

from all the car audio enthusiasts and JL fans the word is the cheaper JL C5 components are much better sounding than their more expensive ZR line.

AudioFreak
11-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Pick up some of these ive heard good things about these tweets id contact dd and see if they will sell you just the tweeters though.

http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/dda.asp

Brian_smith06
11-22-2008, 07:30 PM
from all the car audio enthusiasts and JL fans the word is the cheaper JL C5 components are much better sounding than their more expensive ZR line.

interesting. i'll have to go have a listen to some C5's then.

916Kev
11-22-2008, 08:15 PM
I had the C5's before my K2P's. The silk tweets sounded very nice even at high volumes. Lacked some midbass though and didn't get loud enough for me hence the upgrade (plus they crapped out on me). Fed 'em 75W. Good luck!

efm80
11-22-2008, 09:18 PM
I had the C5's before my K2P's. The silk tweets sounded very nice even at high volumes. Lacked some midbass though and didn't get loud enough for me hence the upgrade (plus they crapped out on me). Fed 'em 75W. Good luck!

when you say they crapped out, how so?? What kind of amp and were the gains all set right? That ***** to hear.... How do you like the K2P' now? I'm really wanting to get a set of those!

eddie

916Kev
11-22-2008, 11:30 PM
when you say they crapped out, how so?? What kind of amp and were the gains all set right? That ***** to hear.... How do you like the K2P' now? I'm really wanting to get a set of those!

eddie

Crapped out as in passenger side just straight up died on me and buzzed annoyingly. It might have been a faulty set cuz I did get 'em unauthorized on eBay for like $250. I had my 300/4v2 and it was getting 75W. Gains were set properly with DMM. Got the K2P's and broke 'em in for 3 weeks. Much louder and clearer. People say the tweets are harsh but I can stand it and for me it's a "in your face" type which is cool for me cuz I like to feel as if I'm in the music and not just hearing it, if that makes sense. I can crank it and it'll get louder than my C5's and I can still crank it up w/o clipping all the way to max. The thing I really wanted was more mid bass which I got tremendously. Doors were already heavily dynamated (extreme) and I had some dynaxorbs installed. I have 'em crossed at 50hz and they take it. It gets so low! I got me some mini subs in my door. Bridged the same amp, 150W apiece, got my rears (crappy pioneer pos) running off HU for my passengers. Hope this helps.

cliffnotes:
C5's good.
K2P's better.

Megalomaniac
11-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Four C5 component sets located up front: http://www.12volt.com/images/stories/feature/121907/dsc08620.jpg

Somebody knows how to make them work.

:)

you will get a boner listening to that car ;) I know I did.