PDA

View Full Version : Got A Dremmel Tool For my B-day.

budahbuddy803
11-19-2008, 10:18 PM
I was just curious if you guys use these for boxes. It came with a circle cutter and will spin up to 3500rpm(i think is what it said). If it will help me cut circles i would love it, but for some reason i think its going to have a hard time getting through all 3/4" of the wood.

Has anyone found a good use for one of these on a Sub-box???

speedfreak28
11-19-2008, 10:20 PM
I was just curious if you guys use these for boxes. It came with a circle cutter and will spin up to 3500rpm(i think is what it said). If it will help me cut circles i would love it, but for some reason i think its going to have a hard time getting through all 3/4" of the wood.

Has anyone found a good use for one of these on a Sub-box???

not really, its limited to grinding/cutting plastic and polishing, its near impossible to cut mdf with.

1rockford1
11-19-2008, 10:23 PM
today is your b-day? if so happy birth day bro. i would not use it to make any circles

sexiewasd
11-19-2008, 10:29 PM
That depends on what you consider a Dremel type tool.
http://www.rotozip.com/Shop/ProductDetail.htm?IID=RZ25

If it is the small common type then I really can't think of many uses as far as sub boxes go, but for making brackets or shaping holes in your firewall it could come in handy. I once made a wooden foregrip for a paintball gun using one, took all **** day to get it right though.

speedfreak28
11-19-2008, 10:31 PM
that rotzip is a pos too, i bought that and their circle jig, tried cutting mdf and returned it.

outspoken
11-19-2008, 10:32 PM
put a little cutting wheel on it and it cuts 1/0 gauge wire very nicely... don't forget eye protection...

thehardknoxlife
11-19-2008, 10:50 PM
that rotzip is a pos too, i bought that and their circle jig, tried cutting mdf and returned it.
I like my rotozip it comes in handy. They can cut through 3/4" MDF but watch out for flying bits. They seem to break rather easy. I usually just make two 3/8"passes, it seems to work better this way and alot less dangerous. It's time consuming but you can round the edges also.

speedfreak28
11-19-2008, 10:53 PM
I like my rotozip it comes in handy. They can cut through 3/4" MDF but watch out for flying bits. They seem to break rather easy. I usually just make two 3/8"passes, it seems to work better this way and alot less dangerous. It's time consuming but you can round the edges also.

thats exactly why i returned it, i even bought the expensive commercial grade bits they sell. My router does the same stuff alot easier, It would be good for other uses jsut not the best for MDF.

TIeclipseMOJO
11-19-2008, 10:56 PM
theyre great for plastic and stuff like that, wont cut mdf though

budahbuddy803
11-19-2008, 11:09 PM
It came with a pretty hefty assortment of bits and pieces.Would I have better luck returning it and buying a router? If so, how much do routers normally go for??

speedfreak28
11-19-2008, 11:14 PM
A dremel can still serve a purpose, not exactly the best woodworking tool but good to have, You can do alot more wtih a router but your looking at 150 or so for a nice one and the bits are pricey, the best circle jig ive found is the jasper jig.period. Out of any tool this will do the job but make sure you buy a plunge router.

bigaudiofanatic
11-19-2008, 11:26 PM
I love mine I use it a lot like to cut or trim door panels to make new speakers fit.

IDSkoT
11-19-2008, 11:28 PM
not really, its limited to grinding/cutting plastic and polishing, its near impossible to cut mdf with.

x2

Dremels are GREAT for Fiberglass, Acrylic, and Plastics and the like. Also good for circuit boards and such.

sexiewasd
11-19-2008, 11:35 PM
they are the best when you find one of those old philips head screws that aren't stock on a 96 Camry that are so rusted the top nearly crumbles and prevents you from removing your trunk latch handle when it's getting dark and all you wanna do is throw down some sound dampening.

ok thats kinda specific but you get the idea, they have no real one purpose use in car audio, but when you need one, you need one.

mlstrass
11-20-2008, 02:15 AM
I only use mine to clean up the sub cutouts using a wood rasp bit. But they are handy as hell for a lot of other things.

Go here for pretty much EVERY bit/attachment you could ever want and great prices also:

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/dremel

Immacomputer
11-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Like others have said, dremel tools can really come in handy but they don't really work well in enclosure construction. You can use them to detail after the enclosure is built though. I use my dremel more for metal and plastics work rather than wood working. You can definitely come up with some creative things for it but nothing like cutting out circles in 3/4" MDF. A $20 Skill jigsaw and a steady hand (or clever jig) will do a much better job cutting out circles than any dremel can.

I use my dremel all the time for things like cutting off screw heads, cutting into the firewall, door panels/frame, and polishing metals (also good at removing rust on any tools not properly taken care of).

scoob8000
11-20-2008, 03:09 PM
They actually make a circle attachment for some dremals.

From what I've read, you need to go very slowly and only take a little bit off at a time.

FWIW, I bought a used Skill plunge router, with case, several bits, and circle jig on ebay for $35 before shipping..

budahbuddy803
11-20-2008, 03:53 PM
mom said this kit was about $90.. i think i am just going to keep it and cut my holes and such with my jig.