PDA

View Full Version : Mixing ohms?

Pismo
11-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Hello all, new dumbie here. I've just bought a JVC KW-XC410 for my 1998 Nissan Frontier King Cab. The old stero that died only had the two speakers in the door. With this JVC it has the four speaker set up. I don't know the ohms in the doors and the truck manual doesn't say. Now I've got some boxed 9"x10"x6" Sony speakers that are rated at 6 ohms that I want to put in the back of the cab with long enough wire in case I want to place them outside to hear. I work construction and some music is needed sometimes. Now can I have what's in the doors work with what I'm planing on adding as the second set of speakers??? Thanks, Pismo

Side Show
11-18-2008, 09:18 PM
nup

Mike465
11-18-2008, 09:19 PM
You need to find 4ohm speakers if you are going to run it off the JVC. If you use the 6ohm Sony you will not get hardly any volume out of it because the HU will put about 12 watts rms per channel at 4ohm. At 6ohms you would be looking aroung 5watts rms.

Ferendon
11-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Step one, stop buying cheap ****.
If you want to use them PA-style, get an amp for them at least. You can get a 2-channel on the cheap, that will push way more power than your deck.

Pismo
11-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks, in the spec section of the JVC book it said that load impedance: 4 ohm (4 ohm to 8 ohm allowance) didn't know if the 6 ohm fit in there or what ever but thanks for the tip. Pismo

Pismo
11-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Wasn't look for a PA result, not into big job sites was only thinking of running the speakers outside for personal sound. I mainly work in neigborhoods with people living. Wasn't going to be planning on giving a concert of my personal music upon them. Thanks, Pismo

Simek4life
11-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks, in the spec section of the JVC book it said that load impedance: 4 ohm (4 ohm to 8 ohm allowance) didn't know if the 6 ohm fit in there or what ever but thanks for the tip. Pismo

Like its already been said... You CAN do it but you are not going to WANT to do it. Get 4 ohms.

shaneb
11-18-2008, 09:59 PM
This is why no one thinks you should do it.
Head Units say 40 watts, but that is not applicable. Realistically they will put out 14-18watts to each speaker.
When it says that it is say, 14w@4ohms. And you put a 6 ohm load on it, you then divide the power by 2 more ohms. Thus giving you less watts.
In our scenario with a 4 ohm load getting fed 14 watts.
A 8 ohm load would be fed 7
So a 6 ohm load is fed like 10ish, obviously I dont want to do the math.

Because those 6ohm speakers will get fed nearly nothing, everyone says thats a terrible idea. And I agree.
Your best bet would be to find a 2 or 4 channel amp that will cost no more than about 100dollars new, probably less used. and a new set of speakers because Sony has NEVER made a good speaker (some may argue the xs series but yea, who can get those). You can get a fair pair of speakers for less than 100 dollars.

But hey, maybe your expectations aren't very high, but we are just saying how we would do it. Maybe its worth ripping your HU out to do this until you save money, but I wouldn't waste my time.

mokedaddy
11-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Just buy more ohms. Or sell some of the ones you have. :)

But seriously it wont hurt anything to try it. You are better off getting an amp or something but it may tide you over for a while.

To the people who think something cant get loud off of 5 watts, have any of you ever heard an old school boombox?

shaneb
11-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Just buy more ohms. Or sell some of the ones you have. :)

But seriously it wont hurt anything to try it. You are better off getting an amp or something but it may tide you over for a while.

To the people who think something cant get loud off of 5 watts, have any of you ever heard an old school boombox?
true true
everyopne on here has amps and or heard them so its hard to remember backin the day when we were inexperienced and just had hu power. but it gets decently loud, loud enough to listen to.

jdawg
11-18-2008, 10:42 PM
you will be fine, if it doesnt get loud enough buy a 2 channel amp

mcsoul
11-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Just try it. It definitely will not break the head unit.