PDA

View Full Version : Speaker recommendations

bureau13
11-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi,

I am currently running the stock stereo in my RX-8, but I'm getting ready to replace it with either an Alpine IVA-W505 or IDA-X100. For now I will probably stick with the HU amplification, but I'm intrigued by the upcoming (supposedly!) KTP-445 dash-mountable 4x45W RMS amp....but we'll see. Anyway, I upgraded my speakers to Infinity Reference 6.5 components up front and 6x9 3-way in the back. They were nice and sensitive, and a drastic improvement over stock, but with the better source is there a better speaker choice I can make that is in the same price ballpark as the Reference series, or maybe just a bit more? A while back one of the 6x9 speakers blew, so I got hold of a 6x9 Kappa 2-way and used that...and it actually sounded significantly better. Would I be better served upgrading to Kappas all around, or is there a better choice for similar money. Again, I'd like to stick with fairly efficient speakers since I won't have an excess of power on tap.

TIA,
jds

DBBOOM
11-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Kappas= decent upgrade for the money.

joshualittle
11-18-2008, 11:49 AM
What's ur budget? Diamond audio hex s600s are on sale for $199 at onlinecarstereo.com. I used to have a set and they are amazing. They have awesome sq and midbass.

bureau13
11-18-2008, 03:46 PM
The Diamond Audio stuff is a bit higher than I had intended to pay...but that price is pretty **** good. How do they compare to say the Focal A1 165 (for that matter how do the Focals compare to the Kappas). I've heard good things about Focal, but I don't know the difference between these and the more expensive versions.

jds

What's ur budget? Diamond audio hex s600s are on sale for $199 at onlinecarstereo.com. I used to have a set and they are amazing. They have awesome sq and midbass.

datboiroy
11-18-2008, 04:10 PM
whats your budget?

xreymax
11-18-2008, 06:22 PM
I have a set of Diamond Audio D662's Silk components. for $140 shipped in great condition only used for 5 months. They sound really nice.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19444

bureau13
11-19-2008, 12:47 AM
I was hoping to get by with $250 or maybe $300 for fronts and rears. If I go with the W505 head I'll probably have to wait on the speakers though. Still, I can get new Kappas on Ebay for the lower end of that scale, so anything better for roughly the same money is what I'm looking for I guess.

jds

whats your budget?

Hoodlum007
11-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Diamond Audio comps used to be very good years go before they got purchased by a new company. The current line of Hex comps look the same as the old one but sound no way close to them. I have heard the newer Hex comps and was not impressed.