PDA

View Full Version : Anyone able to design a box? 4x10s

Zeptoplix
11-17-2008, 11:22 PM
Hey, I have four 10" JBLs right now, model number P1022.

Right now all four are in one single box, sealed. I have thought about going ported, but not really sure, I Really like how low the system hits as it is. If I were to go ported, I would like to retain alot of the bottom end. Would shooting for 28hz or lower be unfeasible? Or would it be possible, but just sound like **** on music? Sorry for the noob questions, never really designed a box myself before..

Rashaddd
11-18-2008, 12:20 AM
Tuning low almost always sounds better on music, tuning high is what makes a sub peaky and generally not sound as good because of it. The amount of space you have will help determine how low you can comfortably tune (while maintaining sufficient port area). Generally, people consider 30-34hz 'low', 28 isn't an uncommon tune either though, and it will hit the lows a little better than a 32-34hz for example.

If you want a box designed for you, pm me for a quote

IDSkoT
11-18-2008, 03:00 AM
Tuning low almost always sounds better on music, tuning high is what makes a sub peaky and generally not sound as good because of it. The amount of space you have will help determine how low you can comfortably tune (while maintaining sufficient port area). Generally, people consider 30-34hz 'low', 28 isn't an uncommon tune either though, and it will hit the lows a little better than a 32-34hz for example.

If you want a box designed for you, pm me for a quote

You're not taking the driver's parameters into account.

You can't just tune any driver to 28hz and expect it to sound good. Some drivers aren't even meant to go that low :fyi:

And, I understand you're trying to make money. But how long does it take to design a box? 5-10 minutes? =\
Maybe I should start charging for box designs...

BTW-- you have the 'SPL' version of my subs. It's supposed to be tuned to 33. I'm tuning mine to 30 when I build my new box. If you want, I'll design a 28hz box for you.

Rashaddd
11-18-2008, 10:00 AM
You're not taking the driver's parameters into account.

You can't just tune any driver to 28hz and expect it to sound good. Some drivers aren't even meant to go that low :fyi:

And, I understand you're trying to make money. But how long does it take to design a box? 5-10 minutes? =\
Maybe I should start charging for box designs...

BTW-- you have the 'SPL' version of my subs. It's supposed to be tuned to 33. I'm tuning mine to 30 when I build my new box. If you want, I'll design a 28hz box for you.

No reason to knock on what I do, I always take the subs and the desires of the person into account, and no, I wasn't going to take my time to go model them and research them without the prospect of compensation, so I was explaining what general principals apply to tuning almost any sub.

And :fyi: I am always more concerned with ensuring the satisfaction and happiness of my customer than I am with getting my money and getting out. Multiple customers coming back the next time they want a design because of how well the last one performed for them tells you something.