PDA

View Full Version : got wood?

DonH
11-17-2008, 09:28 PM
haha sry 4 the gay *** title! but yeah im going to start my build tommorrow and i still havnt bought the wood for my box!:eek: n e ways should i get mdf, hdf, or birch? im going 1 inch on the wood so let me knoe wutcha think! pros and cons on all three kinds of wood please. oh and 1 more type CARDBOARD! haha jk

IDSkoT
11-17-2008, 09:33 PM
I don't think they make HDF? (If you mean High-Density Fiber... normally they refer to MDF as high density. Maybe you got confused?)

However... from my limited knowledge, MDF is cheaper, and is a lot easier to work with. Although birch is harder to work with, I believe it's more dense and is a lot more solid.

But it's all on you, Cojack.

bonesninja
11-17-2008, 09:36 PM
birch is not denser than MDF...fyi. The only advantage birch has is weight.

RAM_Designs
11-17-2008, 09:36 PM
They do make HDF. MDF is heavier than Birch, but easier to cut and rout...also much cheaper.

jagblazer01
11-17-2008, 09:37 PM
i have worked with both and birch is so much lighter then MDF and doesnt produce the dust that MDF does when cut.

Dougsub
11-17-2008, 09:41 PM
3/4 mdf u can get whole sheets at home depot for 25 bucks .... fyi

=]

DonH
11-17-2008, 09:55 PM
I don't think they make HDF? (If you mean High-Density Fiber... normally they refer to MDF as high density. Maybe you got confused?)

However... from my limited knowledge, MDF is cheaper, and is a lot easier to work with. Although birch is harder to work with, I believe it's more dense and is a lot more solid.

But it's all on you, Cojack.

i c i c. i like birch cuz you can stain it and gloss it make it look all nice n ****. probly gona go with mdf cuz of price haha.... wuts with "Cojack" am i missing something here?

wasted ink
11-17-2008, 09:56 PM
why would you need 1"

IDSkoT
11-17-2008, 09:57 PM
i c i c. i like birch cuz you can stain it and gloss it make it look all nice n ****. probly gona go with mdf cuz of price haha.... wuts with "Cojack" am i missing something here?

I just thought of it. Idk why.

And thanks for correcting me.

DonH
11-17-2008, 10:25 PM
why would you need 1"

structural integrity my box has allot of weird angles.

wasted ink
11-17-2008, 10:34 PM
increased wood thickness wouldnt necessarily help that

99grandprixGT
11-17-2008, 10:36 PM
make sure the sheet will fit in ur car:verymad:

DonH
11-17-2008, 10:37 PM
sry meant structural integrity for the eventual sub upgrade... is i wasnt going 2 upgrade then i wouldnt build the box with 1 inch wood

wasted ink
11-17-2008, 10:51 PM
it doesnt matter what subs you have.. angles dont necessarily have an effect on structural integrity. moreso, like i stated before, thicker material will not help your problem.. dont waste the money..

and good luck finding 1" sheets local. special order or make your own

DonH
11-17-2008, 10:52 PM
it doesnt matter what subs you have.. angles dont necessarily have an effect on structural integrity. moreso, like i stated before, thicker material will not help your problem.. dont waste the money..

and good luck finding 1" sheets local. special order or make your own

got a place that has em in stock haha. i think you have convinced me thou! haha im good on the 3/4 now haha thx thou 4 the input and not sum bull ****

wasted ink
11-17-2008, 10:56 PM
no problem.. just wouldnt want to see you waste your money.. what drivers are you using

DonH
11-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Dont bash me or n e thing ight! but im going to be running two cerwin vega HED 12's they have an x max of only 18 mm but yeah haha going to eventually get sum RE 12's not shure yet

bubbagumper6
11-17-2008, 11:02 PM
and if you've never used/seen MDF before do some research. Local lumber store sold me ****ing particle board my first time because I'd never used MDF before, luckily it was only for my false floor and didn't matter. Home Depot sold me the real stuff for my box (thank god)

wasted ink
11-17-2008, 11:02 PM
yea 3/4" will be fine

DonH
11-17-2008, 11:29 PM
and if you've never used/seen MDF before do some research. Local lumber store sold me ****ing particle board my first time because I'd never used MDF before, luckily it was only for my false floor and didn't matter. Home Depot sold me the real stuff for my box (thank god)

haha yeah i have bought mdf before i know what it is and what it looks like thx 4 the heads up thou

quins90lac
11-18-2008, 12:16 AM
fyi dont try to be all heman and think you can pick up a sheet by your self and drop it on the back of you ankle . I learned my lesson on that one and it was only a 1/2 inch thick sheet . I was out of work for 3 months while it healed then went back for 3 days and they fired me for missing so many days.phucking pricks

wasted ink
11-18-2008, 12:19 AM
fyi dont try to be all heman and think you can pick up a sheet by your self and drop it on the back of you ankle . I learned my lesson on that one and it was only a 1/2 inch thick sheet . I was out of work for 3 months while it healed then went back for 3 days and they fired me for missing so many days.phucking pricks

are you serious?

i carry 3/4" all the time.. just have to be careful lifting it and twisting with it... and 1/2" is light as all hell

tc3k101
11-18-2008, 12:23 AM

you must be small as hell lol or weak

photocrazy8
11-18-2008, 12:24 AM
get yourself a nice sheet of 13 ply birch...

spencer321
11-18-2008, 12:29 AM
haha not gunna lie 3/4 sheet by yourself gets heavy when you have to carry it for a short while, my workshop is behind the house and carrying a full sheet from the front of the house to the back around the house is a pain in the ***, but my house is also 100ft long so its not a short walk. i've always wanted to work with birch, it is like cardboard compared to mdf as far as weight is concerned

wasted ink
11-18-2008, 12:43 AM
haha not gunna lie 3/4 sheet by yourself gets heavy when you have to carry it for a short while, my workshop is behind the house and carrying a full sheet from the front of the house to the back around the house is a pain in the ***, but my house is also 100ft long so its not a short walk. i've always wanted to work with birch, it is like cardboard compared to mdf as far as weight is concerned

but routing and cutting mdf is 10x better. except for the dust, of course.

photocrazy8
11-18-2008, 07:11 PM
MDF is tougher on all your bits, blades and sandpaper. its much heavier so to a real box builder there are no advantages....

quins90lac
11-19-2008, 12:52 AM
the place where i got mine from the 1/2 inch was like 6 ft above the ground and when i slid it off i didn't have it balanced right . and yeah i might be a little weak hell all i did when i worked was drive fork lift all day so its not like i used my arms that much