PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Skipping - Need Opions

skye3000
11-17-2008, 02:34 PM
I've searched through the forums and I think I already know the answer to my question. I just wanted to get the opinions of some more knowledgeable Stereo guys. I've been away from it for to long. Also I'm new to Alpine equipment and USB Playback.

I have a brand new CDA-9886 that I hooked up to a 40GB USB hard drive. The hard drive is powered buy a 5v DC adapter. The head unit is being powered by the factory power wire. I have been having problems with my battery dieing lately, it's the original battery from 2003. On top of that I have an amp pushing 400 watts to 1 12" sub.

On some of the songs, regardless of the volume or the subwoofer level, I am getting a lot of skipping. It sounds like a CD player from 1992. All of the songs are in mp3 format and are encoded at 128kbps or higher at a 44.1k hz sampling rate.

Do I have a power issue since the battery is dieing? Should I just go ahead and wire the head unit in directly?

I plan on replacing the battery soon but it still starts the car fine so I'm kinda procrastinating until I have an extra buck.

groundpound4200
11-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Your HU is skipping while playing from the USB?

skye3000
11-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Yes. I was surprised too. It does the same thing when I play mp3's from a usb thumb drive. I only had a CD in it for about 5 minutes before I plugged my drives in so I don't know if a normal audio CD skips or not.

The skipping sounds more like jitter. Not a traditional click noise like when a CD is scratched. One time a song jumped backwards about 10 seconds.