PDA

View Full Version : Ramos - your help is needed

Gauntlet
07-19-2003, 04:58 PM
I started out on my kicks today, and I ran into a few problems. Hopefully you can anwer some of my questions

1) After getting the area taped off and drawing out the area where the panel is gonna be, what's the best way to start out? I tried laying the fleece down over the area, and putting the resin on it, but the fleece wouldn't stay. If I used some spray adhesive to keep the fleece in place, would I run into problems in trying to remove the hardened fleece from the tape?

2) How taut should the base layer of fleece be? Should I just lay it out flat, or should I pull the edges outward to make it nice and tight?

3) Mounting the kick panels................I really have no idea.

4) Should I cut or tear the woven mat? I figured tearing it would be better, as the frayed edges would sort of weave into each other and make a stronger bond, but you know more than I do. ;)

Thanks in advance

NitroDuck
07-19-2003, 05:12 PM
Click (http://web.njit.edu/%7Ecas1383/proj/kicks/)

I dont think you need the fleece yet at this stage. I think that link will help you.

Gauntlet
07-19-2003, 07:15 PM
Whoa!

I just went ahead and tried what that tutorial said....everything was going fine. I was on my 3rd layer, and I was mixing up batches of resin/hardener, with 4 oz of resin (1 dixie cup full) and 50 drops of hardener. Everything was going great, I mixed up another batch and went to work, and after about 5 minutes I smelled something horrendous, it was like a mixture of lacquer thinner and burning rubber. I look in the painters mixture bucket I got from Home Depot, and the liquid was bubbling; it looked like a rolling boil. I tried swishing it around, and it started smoking uncontrollably, and in literally 5 seconds the entire solution bubbled up and coagulated into a little ball that looks like a gum eraser. I have a pretty good feeling this is NOT supposed to happen, but I have absolutely no idea what caused it. Anyone got any ideas?

Other than that.....how bad are air bubbles for the fiberglass? I've got like 2 little air bubbles that I couldn't work out....

Thanks

bigred78797
07-20-2003, 11:46 AM
Yeah if it is hot outside after about 5 mins it will start to congeal and clump up. Usually when i am working in a hot environment i usually use about 10% to 25% less hardiner. When you mix the hardener with the resin the chemical reaction creates heat. Things can get VERY hot when working with those two. That is why when working with resin and hardener you have to work very fast, but not too fast that it is a crappy job. My reccomendation is to cut back just a tad on the hardener to allow u a little more time to work. What was in the painters mixture bucket? Was it a mixture of the resin and hardiner? Or was it Acetone thinner? Are those plastic or rubber buckets?

willll
07-20-2003, 07:56 PM
that sounds quite exciting. lucky it didn't explode and shoot resin crap all over your car.

Gauntlet
07-20-2003, 10:00 PM
that sounds quite exciting. lucky it didn't explode and shoot resin crap all over your car.

No ****, that's what I thought it was gonna do. I threw the can on the ground and ran away like I was setting off fireworks.

Anyways, small update, here are the 2 bases for the kicks, with 3 layers of mat. I'm going to put another layer on the back side tomorrow when I get some brushes and then trim and sand the edges down. Wish me luck!

http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/kick1.txt
http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/kick2.txt

MikeofTulsa
07-20-2003, 10:10 PM
looks good so far man....keep us updated...and take lots of pics...heh

#1AlpineFan
07-21-2003, 03:49 PM
Yeah it looks good!
What kind of car are you makeing them for?

Gauntlet
07-21-2003, 05:17 PM
'89 Cutlass Ciera

willll
07-21-2003, 09:50 PM
very sharp indeed.

ramos
07-22-2003, 10:53 AM
Whoa!

I just went ahead and tried what that tutorial said....everything was going fine. I was on my 3rd layer, and I was mixing up batches of resin/hardener, with 4 oz of resin (1 dixie cup full) and 50 drops of hardener. Everything was going great, I mixed up another batch and went to work, and after about 5 minutes I smelled something horrendous, it was like a mixture of lacquer thinner and burning rubber. I look in the painters mixture bucket I got from Home Depot, and the liquid was bubbling; it looked like a rolling boil. I tried swishing it around, and it started smoking uncontrollably, and in literally 5 seconds the entire solution bubbled up and coagulated into a little ball that looks like a gum eraser. I have a pretty good feeling this is NOT supposed to happen, but I have absolutely no idea what caused it. Anyone got any ideas?

Other than that.....how bad are air bubbles for the fiberglass? I've got like 2 little air bubbles that I couldn't work out....

Thanks

Sorry so late. I just got back into town. Looking good so far.
Yep way too much hardener. airbubbles can be your worst enemy. They create weak spots in the glass. Try to get all of them out that you can. If you can't wrok them all out. Try working them to an are that will be less stressed i.e. don't have air bubbles in the middle of the panel. :)

ramos
07-22-2003, 10:56 AM
No ****, that's what I thought it was gonna do. I threw the can on the ground and ran away like I was setting off fireworks.

Anyways, small update, here are the 2 bases for the kicks, with 3 layers of mat. I'm going to put another layer on the back side tomorrow when I get some brushes and then trim and sand the edges down. Wish me luck

Nah it won't explode. It will however start smoking like a beeyatch and stink to high heavens. :D I would be carefull putting layers on the backside if you have allready formed them to the area. Adding more mat will change the shape and the fit of the kicks. :)

BDIDDY
07-22-2003, 02:35 PM
Hold do these kick panels become secure to the floor of the car?

ramos
07-22-2003, 02:57 PM
i use 1/2" short carriage bolts. Drill 2 holes in the metal right behind the kick. Then attach the kick before you install the mid driver. :)

BDIDDY
07-22-2003, 03:13 PM
i use 1/2" short carriage bolts. Drill 2 holes in the metal right behind the kick. Then attach the kick before you install the mid driver. :)

Alright I get it. Thanks for the help.

ramos
07-22-2003, 03:20 PM
Yeah man :)

Gauntlet
07-22-2003, 04:42 PM

That's a good idea....I made the bases fit to the curves underneath the floor panels, so when I attach the floor panels back onto the floorboard the screws will go through the fiberglass. I'll see how secure it is, and I'll probably do what you suggested if it isn't secure enough.

As far as putting a layer on the back....I didn't do the whole thing...there were just a few spots that didn't take fully and it looks sort of cracked (although it's not cracked, thats the only way I can describe it)...I just put a small piece of mat over them to make it flush. They still fit like a glove. ;)

Also...another question...I've read on some tutorials that mat isn't needed if you put enough resin/hardener onto the fleece, as that will be strong enough. Is this true or not? I'm going to add at least a layer anyways since I have some leftover mat, but I'm curious. Thanks

ramos
07-22-2003, 04:55 PM
I always reinforce the fleece when building kicks for one simple reason.

Strength
When you think about it your putting these in the floor of a car. No matter how carefull you are. Accidents can and will happen. It would be a b!tch to put all of that work into a pair of kicks. To have uncle Jed's size 15 go through them :D :)

Gauntlet
07-22-2003, 06:45 PM
ramos - what do you suggest for trimming the edges? I tried mounting a belt sander upside down in vice grips and sanding it, and that sure as hell didn't come even close close to working. Then I tried using a sabre saw (I don't have a jigsaw :( ) and it worked for about an inch, then the blade snapped. I'm thinking a Dremel is the way to go, but I was just wondering if you had any other tips before I go out and buy one.

Thanks man, I appreciate the help :)

MikeofTulsa
07-22-2003, 08:32 PM
dremel my friend......a fiberglassers closest friends....heh

Gauntlet
07-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Yet more money leaving my bank account! Woohoo!

ss3079
07-22-2003, 10:12 PM
Yet more money leaving my bank account! Woohoo!

$55 initial purchase, minus $15 in a week ... I'd say it's a **** good $40 investment :D

- Steve

Gauntlet
07-22-2003, 10:30 PM
$55 initial purchase, minus $15 in a week ... I'd say it's a **** good $40 investment :D

- Steve

*hopes HD has a return policy on the dremel* ;)

ramos
07-23-2003, 06:20 AM
Yep I use the dewalt version of the dremel. It makes trimming sooooo easy :)

Gauntlet
07-25-2003, 07:02 PM
Panels trimmed:
http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/panel1.txt
http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/panel2.txt

Thickness
http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/panel3.txt

Hopefully tomorrow I can find some time to mount the baffles to the panels

ss3079
07-25-2003, 07:41 PM
I've never seen someone stretch out a two day project over the course of a week and a half lol j/k :D

Keep us informed with progress reports :)

- Steve

willll
07-25-2003, 07:53 PM
this is starting to look like a medical forum with all these lung pictures. :) lookin' good and thick.

Gauntlet
07-25-2003, 08:46 PM
I've never seen someone stretch out a two day project over the course of a week and a half lol j/k :D

Keep us informed with progress reports :)

- Steve

There's no such thing as a two day project when you work 70+ hours a week. ;) :(

ramos
07-26-2003, 06:44 PM
Looking bullet proof man :D Looks good :)

MikeofTulsa
07-26-2003, 07:22 PM
im offended by the title of this threed....how come no one ever says....Goddyd4me i need ur help? heh.....i think im gonna go cry now....

MXJMR
07-26-2003, 07:41 PM
Amen :D

ramos
07-29-2003, 07:58 AM
im offended by the title of this threed....how come no one ever says....Goddyd4me i need ur help? heh.....i think im gonna go cry now....

Next time I need help I will ask for your expertise sir. :)