PDA

View Full Version : tweeter placement...

outspoken
11-15-2008, 06:51 PM
i read around that you want your tweeters as close to the mid as possible... is this true? i have also read that you want them higher, like the same level as your head, pointing toward your head... which would you do and why...

p.s. sorry if it's a repost...

Louisiana_CRX
11-15-2008, 07:14 PM
you need to try and get the speakers at close to equal path lengths as possible...the kicks are your best location.. mounting the tweeter far from the mid can cause phase and off axis response problems....

outspoken
11-15-2008, 07:37 PM
thats what i thought too... a friend of mine has his mounted on the dash facing right at your head, needless to say they are way too bright... in my last car i had them about one and a half feet above the mid on the door panel and even then they were pretty bright... i think i'll try to get them closer to the mid this time and angle both speakers up and toward the center of the cabin... i don't want to deaden the doors until i decide weather that will sound good or just go with kick pods...

Etac
11-16-2008, 10:06 AM
in all my installations i always tried the tweeters up high first, and i always end up putting them in the kicks, they just blend so much better

jbizzle
11-16-2008, 10:08 AM
I have my mids in the doors and my tweeters in the dash, and they don't sound bad at all..

Etac
11-16-2008, 10:09 AM
I have my mids in the doors and my tweeters in the dash, and they don't sound bad at all..

car and tuning also come into play
im not saying its impossible to get good sounding setup with the tweeters up high, but it does require a little more tweaking

squeak9798
11-16-2008, 12:20 PM
I've yet to hear an install where I enjoyed the sound of high mounted tweeters.

The initial strikes can be imaged correctly, but the decay always brings my ears back to their install location.

mcsoul
11-16-2008, 12:28 PM
I've yet to hear an install where I enjoyed the sound of high mounted tweeters.

The initial strikes can be imaged correctly, but the decay always brings my ears back to their install location.

Sorry, define high.

Is low in the A-pillars (shoulder level) what you would consider high?

Are you inferring hight as compared to the mid-woofer, ie low in the a-pillar
may be to high if the mid is low in the door, but maybe not if the mid is in the middle
of the door?

FoxPro5
11-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Consider how little information is up in the frequencies a tweeter *should* be playing and also where you cross from the mid to the tweeter. If I cross at 8k and have my tweeters up high at -6 dB, they only serve to "top fill" the stage. 90% of the sound in my car comes from below and behind the dash. Ears are easily fooled, so take advantage of that.

Experimentation is key; not trying to repeat what someone tells you to do on a forum.

outspoken
11-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Consider how little information is up in the frequencies a tweeter *should* be playing and also where you cross from the mid to the tweeter. If I cross at 8k and have my tweeters up high at -6 dB, they only serve to "top fill" the stage. 90% of the sound in my car comes from below and behind the dash. Ears are easily fooled, so take advantage of that.

Experimentation is key; not trying to repeat what someone tells you to do on a forum.

yes, i agree, however i just wanted a to hear some opinions from others along with an explanation of why... this way, through the wonder that are forums, i can get a better understanding of car audio installation and front-stage imaging... sound is subjective so i know what sounds good to some sounds bad to others... i will first try the a-pillars, if it's bad then they will go lower... thanks for the replys!