PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding. Particle board or plywood?

modskwod
11-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Before anyone says anything, no, I can't get MDF. Closest lumberyard that carries it is 1.5 hours away from my town of 2000 people. Even if I did get there, I can only buy in 4x9 sheets, and i'd have to figure out how to get it home in a frickin prius.:verymad: So, given my choices, particle board or plywood?

wu501
11-15-2008, 05:51 PM
no to the particle board. And the only plywood I would even suggest is birch-ply.

jdawg
11-15-2008, 06:34 PM
mdf

brtnboarder3241
11-15-2008, 06:39 PM
cut down the trees and make it yourself

bonesninja
11-15-2008, 08:11 PM
baltic birch

john denver
11-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Most places will cut it into more managable sizes for you

headbussaboi
11-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Most places will cut it into more managable sizes for you
I went to Home Depot during slow hours and was able to get the guy there to cut my panels to specs. Slipped him a $5 tip:). Or if all else fails, tell them you need the pieces to fit your Mini Cooper:D.

Birch is the substitute but given the 2 options above, I'd go with plywood and brace it well. I don't see partical board lasting too long unless you paste it with ALOT of fiberglass resin.

kmanian
11-15-2008, 09:53 PM
I went to Home Depot during slow hours and was able to get the guy there to cut my panels to specs. Slipped him a $5 tip:). Or if all else fails, tell them you need the pieces to fit your Mini Cooper:D.

Birch is the substitute but given the 2 options above, I'd go with plywood and brace it well. I don't see partical board lasting too long unless you paste it with ALOT of fiberglass resin.

In a town of 2000 I doubt homedepot is an option.

I totally agree with the plywood, and bracing.

Highoutput
11-15-2008, 11:24 PM
or some cabinet grade plywood

Pioneer~Saturn
11-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Definitely go with ply over particle board, should be just fine with some bracing (some simple bracing going up-down and acrossed the enclosure on the inside should do you good)

revrider1
11-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Birch is nice

9seconlives
11-16-2008, 06:13 AM
partical board is the crap that's left over after cutting everything else and glued/pressed together so they have a cheap wood "by product" that they can still sell.... it is 100% worthless IMO, excet for office furniture!!!! any solid wood (like birch mentioned above) just stay away from softies such as maple,pine,etc..... double layer the walls if needed. it's walays better to have toooooo much rather than be anywhere close to not enough.

photocrazy8
11-16-2008, 06:39 AM
if no MDF 13 ply Marine Grade Baltic Birch about $130 a sheet :)

orangecounty1
11-16-2008, 07:11 AM
have someone build you a box of birch or mdf, and ship it to you.

or move to a real city.

GAM3OVR
11-16-2008, 08:11 AM
have someone build you a box of birch or mdf, and ship it to you.

or move to a real city.

x2 about the box, not about the city part

helotaxi
11-16-2008, 09:11 AM
The chances of being able to get void free plywood (the void free part is what makes the most difference to keep there from being air pockets in the material that will ring and is really more important with midrange cabinets) in a town where you can't get MDF are somewhere between zero and a negative number.

Getting a box built to spec and shipped to you is probably the best bet. That or bite the bullet and spend the $6 on gas for the Prius and take a drive.

kush-divinity
11-16-2008, 09:12 AM
You can use particle board for a low power system with no worries. Just mix fiberglass resin and coat the inside with a thin layer. And clear coat the outside very well, to keep it from coming apart from moisture. You must brace it well, though.

If you can get BC or AC pine, you can use 21/32 to make your box. It is stonger than MDF, and finishes almost as nice as birch, with close to the same price. Do NOT use sheathing grade plyboard, or decking sheets.

If there is a HomeDepot or Lowe's 1.5 hours away, just drive up there with plans. Their panel saw will cut it faster than you can and straighter I imagine. You can't get seen giving them a tip, but it's a GREAT idea;)

That is probably the best idea, just use it as an excuse to carry your wife out to the city for dinner. You get a box AND sexxed up.

modskwod
11-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Birch plywood it is! thanks for all your responses, it's really appreciated :D

9seconlives
11-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Birch plywood it is! thanks for all your responses, it's really appreciated :D

Best of luck man!!!!!!! nevermind the jackass's with the snide comments!!!! they have no life and obviously very little people skills!!!