PDA

View Full Version : DDX 812/DNX 8120 dissapointment?

efm80
11-15-2008, 05:26 PM
was messing around yesterday at a local car audio shop that had the DNX 8120 in, which is the same as the DDX 812 that I want, but just adds the navigation. The nav is sweet, but I could care less about nav. I was really interested in its SQ offerings. I was messing with the 13 band graphic EQ and I noticed everytime I made an adjustment, the music cut out for a second?? Is that normal? How annoying is that. Its even hard to truly see what your boosting/cutting is doing to the SQ with the sound cutting out everytime. I have never had a deck like that. All adjustment have always been in real time. Is this how the DDX812/DNX8120 really is or was there a problem with the demo in store?

eddie

Louisiana_CRX
11-15-2008, 05:28 PM
i like mine....

Sierra08!
11-15-2008, 05:32 PM
It cuts out because it is trying to equalize itself, that very picky, this is a very good overall unit, you can adjust just about every aspect of your speaker setting, and I would not worry about that

Simek4life
11-15-2008, 05:55 PM
I like mine also

efm80
11-15-2008, 05:56 PM
the 880 PRS has a 16 band graphic EQ and does not cut out when you make adjustments. I understand you guys love your 812/8120's but thats crap. I might be picky but with spending that kinda money on a deck I have the right and luxury of being that picky

eddie

Simek4life
11-15-2008, 05:59 PM
the 880 PRS has a 16 band graphic EQ and does not cut out when you make adjustments. I understand you guys love your 812/8120's but thats crap. I might be picky but with spending that kinda money on a deck I have the right and luxury of being that picky

eddie

It only cost me $1200 :rolleyes:

Supergumby5000
11-15-2008, 06:00 PM
pioneer F90BT w/ firmware upgrade FTW!

the unit takes a bit to start up, but other then that, it kicks ***.

efm80
11-15-2008, 06:04 PM
It only cost me $1200 :rolleyes:

my point exactly ;)

XTRProBoy
11-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Is that normal? How annoying is that. Its even hard to truly see what your boosting/cutting is doing to the SQ with the sound cutting out everytime. I have never had a deck like that. All adjustment have always been in real time. Is this how the DDX812/DNX8120 really is or was there a problem with the demo in store?

eddie
I have a DDX812/KNA-G510 combo and yes it's normal. I'm pretty sure it's because the unit uses digital-domain processing so the EQ/crossover is done in the digital domain, not after the D/A conversion. Analog input sources would probably be A/D'd and then processed and then D/A'd again, I would imagine.

Now you might point out that not all units that do digital-domain processing will have a cut out like that upon adjustment, and you'd be right. It's because those units are likely buffering digital data before the output which means when you make an adjustment there will probably be a slight delay in the adjustment output but no cut in the audio.

It all depends on the IC design and signal path the manufacturer implements I guess. My old-skool Sony XDP-210EQ digital processor/EQ, you could easily adjust the EQ with no gap in the audio, but adjust the crossover settings or time alignment delays and you'd get the gap/skip in the audio.

It's funny that you say you can't "see" the adjustment, but actually you can see the adjustment quite well with the double DIN screen, lol. What you can't do is hear it without interruption. Personally while I can see why it might be annoying to some, I don't really have much problem adjusting it because of that. If it really bothers you I guess you will have to go with another HU. The Pios really don't have the same sound processing facilities... There's always the Alpine W505 + IMPRINT processor I guess?

efm80
11-15-2008, 06:31 PM
I have a DDX812/KNA-G510 combo and yes it's normal. I'm pretty sure it's because the unit uses digital-domain processing so the EQ/crossover is done in the digital domain, not after the D/A conversion. Analog input sources would probably be A/D'd and then processed and then D/A'd again, I would imagine.

Now you might point out that not all units that do digital-domain processing will have a cut out like that upon adjustment, and you'd be right. It's because those units are likely buffering digital data before the output which means when you make an adjustment there will probably be a slight delay in the adjustment output but no cut in the audio.

It all depends on the IC design and signal path the manufacturer implements I guess. My old-skool Sony XDP-210EQ digital processor/EQ, you could easily adjust the EQ with no gap in the audio, but adjust the crossover settings or time alignment delays and you'd get the gap/skip in the audio.

It's funny that you say you can't "see" the adjustment, but actually you can see the adjustment quite well with the double DIN screen, lol. What you can't do is hear it without interruption. Personally while I can see why it might be annoying to some, I don't really have much problem adjusting it because of that. If it really bothers you I guess you will have to go with another HU. The Pios really don't have the same sound processing facilities... There's always the Alpine W505 + IMPRINT processor I guess?

great reply! thanks man. And actually I meant "hear", lol. Good info and I will check out the Alpine but if I remember it only has 2 volt preouts?? And I have a pioneer and even their current double dins have the same 3 band parametric EQ that my 5 year old deck has. There always is the 880, but I really want a DD.

eddie

XTRProBoy
11-15-2008, 06:57 PM
great reply! thanks man. And actually I meant "hear", lol. Good info and I will check out the Alpine but if I remember it only has 2 volt preouts??
Yeah you're right it's only 2V on the W505 but if you add the IMPRINT processor I think everything goes through there and then you're at 4V outs. :)

IMPRINT you choose from either 5-band parametric or 7-band graphic I believe. Still not as many as 13 bands, but better than the Pios.

You might want to check though that the IMPRINT doesn't do the same cutting out or anything, before deciding on that.

efm80
11-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Yeah you're right it's only 2V on the W505 but if you add the IMPRINT processor I think everything goes through there and then you're at 4V outs. :)

IMPRINT you choose from either 5-band parametric or 7-band graphic I believe. Still not as many as 13 bands, but better than the Pios.

You might want to check though that the IMPRINT doesn't do the same cutting out or anything, before deciding on that.

right on thanks. Does anyone here know if the music cuts out when making adjustments on an alpine headunit with IMPRINT??
Also does anyone know for sure if you use imprint does it bump up your preout voltage to 4???

datboiroy
11-16-2008, 02:08 AM
what about eclipse avn6620?

efm80
11-16-2008, 04:29 PM
what about eclipse avn6620?

oh yeah. definitely lookin hard at this deck. Only thing is I really wanted T/A this time around cause I have never had it. I hear it really helps SQ and your soundstage. But I love the 7 band parametric on it and I hear the music does NOT cut out when adjusting it.

datboiroy
11-16-2008, 04:31 PM
if your lookin for one, i got one for sale, 800 shipped with blue tooth. brand new in box.