PDA

View Full Version : Door panel SQ question

theputz
11-14-2008, 01:05 AM
When making custom door panels if the speaker is mounted in the door panel now opposed to the door do you loose sound quality? I think you would because the speaker isnít in a sealed enclosure. If you mount it in the door you can seal the door but how can you create a seal when mounting to the door? The other option of a door pod wonít work because I donít want the speaker to stick out to far. Thoughts?

Trey803
11-14-2008, 01:10 AM
if it were completely sealed and deadened then no you would not lose sq

Tehgregzor
11-14-2008, 02:02 AM
You sure do have a pretty mouth.

Linkz
11-14-2008, 02:05 AM
The only thing that matters is that the enclosure the speaker is mounted to is sealed. Mounting to the door panel should be the same as mounting to the door itself....

theputz
11-14-2008, 03:05 AM
but if you mounted the speaker to the door panel it wouldnt be sealed it would be free air. Right?

Linkz
11-14-2008, 01:35 PM
but if you mounted the speaker to the door panel it wouldnt be sealed it would be free air. Right?

mounting to the panel is mounting to the door. What kind of speaker are you talking about...unless you glued it to the ****ing panel its going to mount inside the door and be flush with the paneling.

Mike465
11-14-2008, 06:24 PM
When making custom door panels if the speaker is mounted in the door panel now opposed to the door do you loose sound quality? I think you would because the speaker isn’t in a sealed enclosure. If you mount it in the door you can seal the door but how can you create a seal when mounting to the door? The other option of a door pod won’t work because I don’t want the speaker to stick out to far. Thoughts?

You don't have to make the panel stick out very far from the door. If you want to creat an encloser for the speakers here is what you will do. Depending on what kind of car you have you should have an opening in the inner door skin. (the sheat metal right behing the door panel) You need to check the clearence of how much room you have between the door skin and when window when it is down. Then you will mask off the opening and prep it for glassing. Next you will build you speaker baffles and secure them to the door panel. Next put your door panel back on the door. Then you will glass inside the door panel and the area you masked off making sure that you glass it to the door panel. Once it cures you pop off the panel which will have you enclosre attached to it. Next you glass your door panel, and you know what to do from there.

theputz
11-14-2008, 08:48 PM
before we continue let me clairify some things before we continue. My definition of door panel is the plastic door cover where the arm rest and such are located.

You don't have to make the panel stick out very far from the door. If you want to creat an encloser for the speakers here is what you will do. Depending on what kind of car you have you should have an opening in the inner door skin. (the sheat metal right behing the door panel) You need to check the clearence of how much room you have between the door skin and when window when it is down. Then you will mask off the opening and prep it for glassing. Next you will build you speaker baffles and secure them to the door panel. Next put your door panel back on the door. Then you will glass inside the door panel and the area you masked off making sure that you glass it to the door panel. Once it cures you pop off the panel which will have you enclosre attached to it. Next you glass your door panel, and you know what to do from there.
Thanks but the question is not how to do it but if instead of making seaked door pods if i were to simply make custom door panels and mount the speaker in the door panel will i loose low end grunt compared to a speaker mounted in the door or an enclosed door pod?

HawaiianBassHed
11-15-2008, 06:35 PM
unless your panel is airtight and isolates the front and backwaves of the speaker yeah it'll reduce output... the whole idea of mounting it to the door, then making it airtight is to isolate front and backwaves ;)